Server maintenance Read more... ×
Mr Polson

Windscreen Mirror Removal

Need to remove the windscreen mounted mirror in the AU to install a reverse camera/mirror, found plenty of info online about installing the new one but can't find anything about taking them off?

I pulled one off a wreck before and it bought chunks of the windscreen off with it, looking to avoid doing that.

Gently apply heat with hair dryer etc to soften adhesive. Either put mirror back on and apply pressure or something else and slowly work it. Then reapply heat again.

I have seen this done once before. Does work if you take your time and not over heat or force.

Yep the old mirrors made easy and Ford in their wisdom changed with the AU2 onwards then change back to similar set up as the old ones in e-series etcas the AU2  were a cunt for everyone without taking a chunk out.

There is a tool that slides in to push clip/spring up and then allows you to slide mirror up and off.

A small bent screw driver could do the trick then slide up towards the roof

They have a metal clip inside the new ones....

quick sharp knock upwards with a hammer... Use a piece of wood (dowel works good) between hammer and mirror...

Yeah seen a glass guy do it once and the second time the windscreen was replaced was a no go.

Third windscreen the guy had some little bent flat screw driver. 

Sorry I thought you wanted base off, Series 1 au are like x-series but series 2 on have tabs at the base that you need to push in and it will slide off

Could do either, new mirror has grubb screw on the metal base, so if bases are same size could leave it on.

But if easier I could remove the whole base and reapply the new one.

It's a S2 AU btw.

e7020f58125b3adb5b2c2d096605a37e.jpg

One free windscreen with your insurance company.???  There's another way....... :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I'm calling that last resort.

Because I bet if I broke it on purpose, a week after its replaced it'd get a chip.

You can fit the grub screw type to the same base I read somewhere the other day.

My BA one was rattling until I got the shits and pushed kt hard against the window. Must have done something as it doesn't rattle now.