GspecZL

Callans probably cursed XE

338 posts in this topic

What the P6 loom? Plugs surely different I'd guess. Might look for a zj or zk parts car or something.

what loom are you talking about.

unwrapping the tape on the coil wire loom was all i did when fitting a zj clevo to My XD and XE. needed to extend the air con wire only i thought. might need to cut and join the 4 wires for neutral switch and reverse lights. fit the speedo gear from the FMX to the XE speedo drive and refit to box(cable Vs electronic) use the LTD gear shifter in the XE should be easy enough(My brother did this conversion into XE and XF)  not sure what he used for tailshaft.. might have used E series tailshaft on the FMX yoke possibly even.. (was about 10yrs ago) 

I thought the loom would be easy Dean. I was thinking LTD shifter should work. I have a spare ZH tail shaft. Might measure that.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y600-U151 using Tapatalk

being leaf spring you could use the 9" diff which may help with tail shaft choice (possibly using the LTD one)

Unfortunately my mate wants that for his Barra XF ute project. So no diff. I wonder what diff his XF has. Its an S pack. Could be handy swap.

Is that right? Well, you learn something new everyday, i always thought ute and pv were same length as sedan, i knew the others were longer. I like learning stuff, actually, i just like stuff, stuff's cool.

macman and dougie77 like this

Is that right? Well, you learn something new everyday, i always thought ute and pv were same length as sedan, i knew the others were longer. I like learning stuff, actually, i just like stuff, stuff's cool.

Ute and van are long wheel base too, same floorpan as wagons - hence the common leaf spring rear.

Unfortunately my mate wants that for his Barra XF ute project. So no diff. I wonder what diff his XF has. Its an S pack. Could be handy swap.

XF ute diff is probably same as whats in the wagon now(although possibly LSD optioned but not that common)

if its a late model XF ute it may have the E series yoke on it though making it an easier tailshaft fit if the E series uni does fit the FMX yoke.

then again, most engineers will want 4wheel discs with a V8 conversion if doing it properly, so fitting an EB wagon etc diff would be the better option(EA still had the 25 spline axles apparently )

GspecZL likes this

I reckon a P6 is longer again, LTDs were longer than Fairlane then.

Maybe not P6 though Polson. They are the longest of the lot.

So MNTL.XD you like stuff?

Yeah they're pre XD Era aren't they - you guys are probably right.

GspecZL likes this

XF ute diff is probably same as whats in the wagon now(although possibly LSD optioned but not that common)

if its a late model XF ute it may have the E series yoke on it though making it an easier tailshaft fit if the E series uni does fit the FMX yoke.

then again, most engineers will want 4wheel discs with a V8 conversion if doing it properly, so fitting an EB wagon etc diff would be the better option(EA still had the 25 spline axles apparently )

Its a late XF can't recall which year now though. The owner tells me it has an E series floor pan. Not sure if he is correct there though.

I'm just hoping it has disks all round. But E series wagon diffs aren't pricey

Sent from my HUAWEI Y600-U151 using Tapatalk

would depend if someone changed it.. all XF utes had drums as far as i know.

E(EB ED) series wagon diff is an easy swap, handbrake from E series wagon*(EA EB ED)will fit straight in to XE wagon*. use an adaptor for the brake hose (imperial to metric) and it is a bolt in simple.lots of ratios to choose from(2.92 if willing to risk an EA) 3.08 possibly from EF probably if wanting to mess with brakes, 3.23 or 3.27 more common, or 3.45 from XR6 EB ED XG

XFChris, GspecZL and Valvebouncer like this

would depend if someone changed it.. all XF utes drums as far as i know.

E(EB ED) series wagon diff is an easy swap, handbrake from E series wagon*(EA EB ED)will fit straight in to XE wagon*. use an adaptor for the brake hose (imperial to metric) and it is a bolt in simple.lots of ratios to choose from(2.92 if willing to risk an EA) 3.08 possibly from EF probably if wanting to mess with brakes, 3.23 or 3.27 more common, or 3.45 from XR6 EB ED XG

This ute has had a lot of interesting mods. And done over 600,000ks. But looks new. Very well looked after.

deankdx likes this

Definitely gotta go the 3.45 LSD XR diff!

Awesome ratio and twin spin, can't go wrong!

Seeing as this will possibly be my daily that would be a decent ratio. LSD certainly would be nice obviously.

MNTL.XD likes this

Well fun morning. I put my V8 plans on hold this week when I realised the ZH is a nicer drive. So I booked in for a new exhaust for the 6. Which would of course suit the next 6. Upon starting the XE it exploded. Oil leaking from everywhere and won't run without foot to floor and smoking up greater Melbourne. So I decided to leave it and call the wrecker.....

So he will fit an engine I will be testing thoroughly before hand in a running car. Then I will decide the cars fate. Because my interest has certainly wained. But the value of a 6cyl XE wagon isn't really great enough to sell to make back my investment at all.