Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
dex

92 xf crossflow 5 speed into 96 ohc 4 liter

Hey all ,,unsure if asked or not ,,

But will the full setup " clutch , bell housing, pedal box ,steering collum , box ,cross member ,,,

Out of a 92 xf crossflow ,,,bolt right on up to a 96 xf style ute with the 4 liter ohc motored one ,,?

Cheers in advance for any replys

You also need a manual ecu for a 4.0 or a chip, you won't be able to use the xf column as it won't talk to smartlock not sure on the pedal box interchanging although you can use the box flywheel and clutch as long as the xflow in your ute has metric bolts holding on the flywheel, if not the only thing you have is the box

Hey mate, I realised the other day I do have one xflow but it's an injected one, meaning cam won't have a lobe for the mech fuel pump.

It was in running condition, unknown kms and history though.

Cheers ,, may have to look into it ..

Right ,,,

Get a call from the young bloke , that was borrowing my ute due to his rav4 clutch dying ,,round 11:30 at night in the pissing rain/snow ,,

The utes died on the huon highway ..

Great .

Whipped the plugs out one by one and turned it over ,,,

Guiser coming out of no:6 cylinder ..

Hmmmm

Whip the rocker cover to discover cylinder no:4 exhaust pushrod not even in place under the rocker arm , cylinder no : 5 inlet bent like a banana ,, and no: 5 exhaust pushrod ,,,,non existant,,!!

Wtf ,,,where'd it go ,,?

Bloody thing was running perfect ,,"other that an every now and then soft tap/ knocking "

Reefing off the head to see if I can find the blasted pushrod ,and change the head gasket

Hmmm ..

Bit of free time between the hail n rain and managed to flip the head off ...

Rear water jacket on the head eaten a way a tad and the gasket blown right at that point ..

Now ...

Thinking the "missing" pushrod was due to a bent valve that is "just " stuck open ..

Recon the previous owner removed the pushrod due to this .

Motor always felt a bit flat in the top end ..." sort of breathless" ..

And first start of the day has been a chuggy 5 seconds .

Always put that down to the electric pump feeding too much and loading things up ..

A sharp goose on the throttle cleared it up ..and it would plug away all day no worries ..

Perfect idle ,, run well ..

Just goes to show the old crossflow will surprise a bloke in so many ways .

So thing is ..

Do I get the head welded and skimmed ..bung a new valve in ...?

Effectively spending what I paid for the whole ute ...

Or Find another OK head and just go with that ..?

Aren't the old crossflows an awesome bit of kit? She just chugged away on 5 cylinders hey? If it was me, I'd just find a reasonable second hand head and chuck that on to eliminate any worry about the old corroded head. Pretty simple job to do and if you can do it yourself it will probably save yourself about $500-$600

Haa ..!

Getting it home that night it popped . It struck a cord at ...ahem ..weeeelll over the limit on effectively only 4 cylinders .

Was a stupid thing to do ...but I was livid with it ..

Had bout 6 things fugg up in a fortnight ...so it copped what john cleese would call " a damn good thrashing ,! "