Ando81

Driving light recommendations please

With a good/new reflector, 20 amp wire (XE's have no relay and huge voltage drop) and 100W OSRAMA lightbulb the XE has amazing lights. Problem with XD/XE is that there are no relays and the wire is pretty shit, you get like 11volt at the headlight if you're  lucky.

I like incandescent lights on cars much much more than LED, with LED during rain is a deadly combo. My preference is lot's of high wattage incandescent light over LED any day. But you can't beat LED for efficiency 

So I ended up buying a secondhand pair of these hella comet 550 driving lights to see how good they are. They came with 100w globes but I reckon my narva intense 55w globes are brighter than those. Will have to get them fitted soon to test them on the open road.

So I ended up buying a secondhand pair of these hella comet 550 driving lights to see how good they are. They came with 100w globes but I reckon my narva intense 55w globes are brighter than those. Will have to get them fitted soon to test them on the open road.

cool, not sure what globes i put in the gemini(replaced sealed beams with Narva lenses and 60\55 Narva globes.). awesome lights now..

i'm interested in seeing what you think of these.

As soon as I purchased these lights I noticed the Osram led driving lights I was watching on eBay had been reduced to $55 a pair. Probably should have just waited and got those

So I've fitted the lights and tried them out using Osram night breaker globes and they are a bit underwhelming. Maybe I need to put a new relay on them and try to get more power into them. They definitely show a lot more of the edge of the road but for pencil beams, they don't seem to light up for a long distance down the road.

I remember pricing those years ago and almost died when the little chick at the auto shop told me they were $100 a light. They would have been well worth it compared to these ones that I have now.

I put my set on my KB laser and went out for a drive at night and snapped the passenger one off the very same day i got them.

My mate turns around and unbolts one off his sigma and says here have this one!

Back in the day i had Hella 181 with 130watt globes. They were great.

i think i have a pair with amber(fog) lenses stashed, if they are that good i'll unbury them and give them a go

2016... Not using LED light bars.

C-mon guys, even the cheap nasty ebay ones work a treat (just dont trust the water tightness rating)

Filament lights have had their day. Boly on LED light bar and your wont look back.

The light is very white and oncomming street signs can dazzel you a bit. Its also not the best if your after improved depth perception, warm white to yellow is better, but i find it keeps me More alert than the soft light from filent globes.

Tbh ill never fit a filament light as a high beam again. HID or LED.

Have a look at the led bar ants put on his wagon. Probably get a pair like that on ebay for well under 100 bucks. Put out more light than traditional spottys (just not focused as good but perfect for spotting roos and wombats) and use 1/8th the power

The led ones just aren't quite the right shape or size I reckon, definitely priced right though.

I bought a pair of 100w halogens from autobarn for my xf, they're still close enough to the right size and shape, I not gonna put too much effort into lighting until I decide what front end I'm sticking with.

I was in my local Repco today and saw a big red light bar on special for $99 for a 12" which seemed very reasonable. Anyone seen if they are any good or not?

The Big Red's are a great brand and made very strong Ando, now's the time to get one at that price if you keen.

Safe buying.  :)

Cheers mate, I just had to do a good deed for a mate and drove his Amarok that's got Narva 225 hid driving lights on it. Wow, they are bloody awesome but my xf would look terrible with a pair of those hanging off the front of it.

I was in my local Repco today and saw a big red light bar on special for $99 for a 12" which seemed very reasonable. Anyone seen if they are any good or not?

As Steve said, seem to be very good.

Sold a fair few in just my 7 months at Repco and haven't had one come back yet.

I have Lightforce Striker 170's on my XH, they work great for me. Interchangable filters (spot, combo, spread beam etc) with different colors to suit rain, fog, dust etc. Mine are the halogen type, can buy H.I.D versions or even get the conversion kit for them. Expensive new at around $350-$400 bucks.

I was lucky and paid $150 for them second hand off Ebay.

Mine are mounted to an ECB Nudgebar.

12642704_1290405684319181_43193936090321

12647439_1291705697522513_65997239572141

Yeah I like the look of your setup Mark, very neat mate. They would be the biggest size I reckon ya could go without looking silly. Plus yours looks better with round lights coz it's an xh too, the square xf might look odd with round lights on it I thought.

Just be aware that if you do buy an LED light bar 99% of LED light bars are spread/flood beam with over 30 degree angle beam. If they are 60 or 90 degree angle you will be lucky to get light shining 50 metres down the road.