CHESTNUTXE

FIRST FALCON TODAYS DATE

Actually starting to like seeing Mondeo's around. Neighbour's got one, in silver and it looks good.

Not sure my sons will ever get excited about restoring one........

Simple fact is that noone will be able to restore a plastic car even if they wanted to. Fast-forward 30 yrs and there will be no stockpile of plastic parts like guys hoard steel panels. No one will invest money to remake plastic bars etc for current cars by then due to the expense and reliance on petroleum components for manufacturing.

You'll have the odd enthusiast making hand made panels from a composite material but the cost would be huge. I'm sure you fellas with early plastic barred cars will already be noticing a difficulty in finding replacements and it will just become harder as time goes on.

Forgive the rantings of an old fashioned metal man.

We exported the 2 door commo to the u.s for there cop cars and they called em some other name like the chevy parisite or something (lol) so we should call the mustang the new ford falcon hardtop,like  what they did with the challenger and mustang ,make a whole new macho falcon coupe.

There was also talk of developing the mustang platform into a 4-door and going global with that, effectively a Falcon replacement.

The yanks would love it too. From what they saw of our BA Falcons that went there for trials, they asked some serious questions of how a little country like Aus can put together such a good car, made on 1/10 the budget of the yank dullboxes, but in their words, "a BMW at 1/3 the price".

Sad really, that protectionism in their market fucked us over, and they got the Taurus instead of a world-class RWD sedan in the Falcon.

where's the XG and XH...

i had a look in the back seat area of the mustang convertible.. . be struggling to fit 2 small kids in it..

not that i'm in the market for any new car, but if i couldn't buy an Australian made car i'd be going to Toyota... where are the other models made(mondeo etc)

They don't count :P jokes

Wouldn't have been a neat equal fit if you had to include those two models.

Simple fact is that noone will be able to restore a plastic car even if they wanted to. Fast-forward 30 yrs and there will be no stockpile of plastic parts like guys hoard steel panels. No one will invest money to remake plastic bars etc for current cars by then due to the expense and reliance on petroleum components for manufacturing. You'll have the odd enthusiast making hand made panels from a composite material but the cost would be huge. I'm sure you fellas with early plastic barred cars will already be noticing a difficulty in finding replacements and it will just become harder as time goes on. Forgive the rantings of an old fashioned metal man.

In 30 years time anyone will be able to make replacement parts with a 3d printer.