xwroo

302w roller engine

Besides the obvious difference between flat tap and roller engine, what's a better engine?

I have a hydraulic flat tappet in my XW at the moment which is due for a rebuild. I seen a 302 Windsor roller long engine for sale at a reasonable price. Are they a better running engine etc etc?

Thanks guys. I've been doing some research and roller seams the way to go. I've came across a long roller engine for $3500, so I might just get that instead of rebuilding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not squeezing mega horsepower out of it, or pumping boost in, they're fine. Make sure you get some decent heads on it. The stock ports and valves suck arse.

Heads will be fine even on a modded engine. If you want to get serious move to a Edelbrock alloy set but till then there just fine.

Great on fuel sound like a V8 and go like a stock Harley...shit. LOL 

Heads wise, the bare minimum should be the AU gt40p as the older E7 heads as fitted to the EB-EL 5.0 (not including the GT eb/el and sprint which had the gt40) are rubbish and good for door stops at best.

I have Hurricane 302w 4 - 1 headers to suit XA-XF in my XD, I originally was going to run the GT40p and subsequently test fitted the headers and all fitted fine, from memory it's the spark plug boots that had to be at 90 degree style so they wouldn't burn on the header due to the plug angle.

If you can spring for a set of alloy heads it will really liven up the little engine.

So your saying they should have gt40 heads and the headers I have on my current engine won't fit?

They will bolt up fine, but as NZXD said, gt40p heads and almost all aftermarket heads have the spark plug angle changed and number 3 plug lead will catch fire :D Dont ask how I know lol

Either multi angle boots or 90 degree plug leads will fix that. Personally I had the number 3 pipe moved a little so clearance would be a problem.

So your saying they should have gt40 heads and the headers I have on my current engine won't fit?

What iron heads were on the engine you were looking at?

And what sort of headers do you have?

At the moment I got no certain engine in mind, I've just had a quick look at the engines that popped up on eBay under '302 roller engine' just to get an idea. I've got pacemakers #ph4030 which suit XW-XY with Windsors. I've sent an email or two asking what heads just wanting on reply.