CHESTNUTXE

2.77 28 spline centre xd-xe-ltd

No they didn't, although some v8 xc, xd and xe (and equivalent Fairlanes ) had a 2.92 28 spline borgeys but 3.08 are much more common as most base model e series had them

Could you get a 2.92 or 3.08 ratio 28 spline centre from xd or xe and put 2.77 gears on them from 25 spline centre? Or is there the housing clearance issues like in 25 spline housing

I am talking about a xd or xe factory 351c auto with the 2.77 28 spline i no they are rare thats why im looking for one.

I believe you will find they were 2.92s AFAIK there wasn't a 2.77 28 spline as they are a different housing to the other diffs a 2.92 wouldn't even be 250 rpm higher at 100 kmh

Could you get a 2.92 or 3.08 ratio 28 spline centre from xd or xe and put 2.77 gears on them from 25 spline centre? Or is there the housing clearance issues like in 25 spline housing

2.77 housings are machined differently to the other ratios you can fit the hemisphere out of the other housings with a fair amount of machine work personally I don't think it would be worth the hassle when you can get 28 spline 2.92s

Evertime i drive the car and take it for a short trip on the freeway all i think about is how to gear the fooker back to original as it would fix my speedo,and be the factory correct fittment,but i suppose just going for a set of 2.92 second hand gears would still be ok,i might get the diff shop to swap the 3.27's back to 2.92 or 3.08,only other option is to run a really tall tyre like a 235/70/15 would drop 3.27 to 3.00.1 hhmmmm.

My EA S-pack had a 2.92 4-pin LSD and was a 25 spliner

Was yours a 3speed car?

I believe it started life as an auto, was a 1990 but can't remember what month so could have been either a 3 or 4 speed.

Regardless, I bought it as a manual with the correct 3.50 T5 box and the conversion was done properly as per factory. The only clue was an invoice in the glove box for an auto service. Could have been a 4 speed originally because they were expensive to do up back then and the manual conversion would have been the same $ or less.

That same box came out of the car when I scrapped it, went into my EF, then when that went, it came back out and is now in my XE. On (at least) it's 3rd car and still going strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was yours a 3speed car?

I believe it started life as an auto, was a 1990 but can't remember what month so could have been either a 3 or 4 speed.

Regardless, I bought it as a manual with the correct 3.50 T5 box and the conversion was done properly as per factory. The only clue was an invoice in the glove box for an auto service. Could have been a 4 speed originally because they were expensive to do up back then and the manual conversion would have been the same $ or less.

That same box came out of the car when I scrapped it, went into my EF, then when that went, it came back out and is now in my XE. On (at least) it's 3rd car and still going strong!

If it was a 3 speed car it would have the rear uni held in by saddles (xf style) if it has the flat flange on the yoke it would have been a 4 speed

Was yours a 3speed car?

If it was a 3 speed car it would have the rear uni held in by saddles (xf style) if it has the flat flange on the yoke it would have been a 4 speed

Good info there Thom, as usual a wealth of knowledge. It was a yoke type, not a flat flange, so looks like it was a 3-speed.

if you can find a 22 or 23 tooth for a fmx i would,but all i can find is a 21 so far and that is 10km out

What diff ratio do you currently have?

I have 3:45 diff, 1:1 top gear ratio in the gear box (same as FMX), and the 22 tooth drive and that is spot on.

I tried a 21 tooth green in the borgy 35 and it was still 10kms out,thats why i need a 22 or 23 only other option is to run a 21 and some taller tyres.

Are you sure the rear end is 3.27? The reason I ask is like I said above, the 22 tooth with 3:45 is 99%, and that's what ford put in the factory XRs etc.

I've tested mine with a GPS and on a speed radar, at 50 on the gps the speedo was just under the line, and at 100km the speedo was around 97km.

I just checked an old thread and my gear is a grey 22N gear.

Yes mate 4 times I had the diff apart 3.27 but I am talking about a fmx not a b/w gearbox which has the tooth on the drivers side,here in oz I don't think the fmx ever came out with any rear end gears over 3.00,that's why a 21 tooth is the most you can get for a fmc