2redrovers

Custom bodywork and design ideas

Here's tonight's photochopping. Ute tail lights will return, this is just where I'm at so far.

7b865bd5049de6395a1f285e4196fbaf.jpg

Have to rejig the lights and do a better job on the wheel arch, probably change up the wheels and stance next too.

so that is..

HX premier boot lid graft..

back window laid forward more, coupe front doors

LTD rear quarter tops with side light removed

missing door handles..

i think it would look better with at least a back door pillar separating the glass visually

Close although in my head I've used only xc panels to create what I've tried to show. There is a version with a pillar that I like and I'll pop it up at some point. Probably would get a factory door handle on front door.

Of all that generation of Fords worldwide at the time, ie Fox Mustang, euro Granada, Cortina, Taunus, Fairmont (US), and our "Blackwood" Falcon, it's clear as day which one has stood the test of time the most. I think Ford Oz did a brilliant job on the styling of the XD, so balanced yet a very practical and roomy car. Granadas just look a bit wrong to me, and as for the Us Fairmont.... Just vomit.

I made up two versions of this one, with and without qtr glass. In the pic the back dogleg is a little iffy on the bodylines but this would be addressed in steel as construction went along.

62f0a97cf40d77b9ff0f14f8c3db9061.jpg9638d1c4a2e8381531173e7c7dc47b41.jpg

If you can imagine the back door welded up, I think it makes a nice hardtop too.

I'm not certain as I have no measurements to verify but I tried the qtr window because I thought it may allow you to use rear door glass from a wagon in the front door. I don't know if you need to do that or if front glass would still work.

In all honesty, if you're building this car as I've drawn it, you can afford to make glass for it. If you want to build it let me know and I'll make it happen ;)

Bear, with those lights in the bar you'd end up with something like a Lincoln

fb0193d68fce737885ade638944dff19.jpg2910fe3cba3d4243de4a0724f631d278.jpg

When I said modern, I was trying to find a reasonably new (10yrs ish or newer maybe) model that might be able to adapt to the general bodylines of the xc and end up with sort of a retro-mod look.

Not sure about this one but these are 05 Lincoln navigator lights and a few mods to help blend them in.

8c3c3009e4d1481dbdcff314bed09fc8.jpgfc0779ae49b15bbc3846611e6692d956.jpg

Not really sure what the side profile would look like yet but the lights would be deeply recessed.

Thanks Steve. I'm sure I could make this stuff work better if I could come up with a way to take relative measurements. I can make things fit and look visually correct but that doesn't mean they are correct to real dimensions.

I tried to get this one the right sizes. From best guess, this could possibly work as they two are very close width-wise.

ce81c17236f9732159b4e6fb90f47568.jpg

2008 range rover sport (ford owned)

Reminds of a P76. Sorry if that offends anyone.. :lol:

They had some good stuff in them, but the overall package was woeful. Bit like a Car-dash-ian.

29af43532b809c8ef903f97685e0c9c9.jpg

Actually dont mind this one....... the longer i looked at it, the less XD sedan stayed in my head.  Reckon I'd move the door jamb back an inch or two.  Shits me, that FoMoCo lost it's edge in the '80's, dropping the V8, no hardtops, etc..if it wasn't for the ute, they would've closed years ago.

Designs like yours, Rod, may have helped people fall in love with the brand again, much as GMH did with the Monaro. (The Tupperware one, not the original)

Hehe bear I've been waiting for someone to mention p76 again. Seems like everything you try to change up the xc shape, ends up in Leyland country. I saw it after the first headlight change and didn't go away with the second.

I've been changing up cars for a long time, only now I do it knowing roughly what's on the inside and what it would take to make it work. The style of the blue xd/e might be a little clunky, but that was commonplace at the time. It's kinda like ford used the gt40 idea to make a peoples sedan into a Ferrari eater.