Server maintenance Read more... ×
2redrovers

Custom bodywork and design ideas

Consider this a place to pool ideas, get feedback and discuss your wildest dreams for that custom build you've always wanted.

I'll cut and paste the relevant stuff out of gerg's cold gal thread when I get the chance but here's the basics.

Modified xc sedan into something different, probably a pro touring flavour.

Early sketch

Before

115bc3af4433049fea7f85713527d0e7.jpg

After

bc90298f286ec501566c29b288564fe4.jpg

This is the basics from the other thread I, ummmm kinda hijacked ^_^

Gerg's good advice..

"Sedans are harder to make sleek but personally, one thing I don't like about XCs is the window line at the back door to the pillar. It's more squared off like an early Granada (an attempt to lead-in to the square Falcons) whereas XAs and XBs have the coke-bottle hip line, much more curvy and fitting with the rest of the car. I find the quad light front more attractive than the rectangular one.

Depending on how extreme you want to go, you could lay back the windscreen and same for the rear window. Rear pillar could be thinned down at the top to suit the laid-down glass but keep the same line on the door frame. Side glass could be a problem on the front though, maybe get some rear door glass, swap sides and install in front with custom front quarter glass like a smoker's window.

You could look to some exotic European sedans of the era for inspiration, like the Maserati quattroporte or De Tomaso Longchamp, even Jag XJs.

I'd delete bumpers and fab custom bodywork to fill in the gaps, then put some more delicate ones on that wrap nicely around each end of the car, like on an E-type Jag.

Cut out and fill wheel arch swages and re-profile the rear to match the front. (70s Falcons look like bum-draggers)

Overall I think it could be a very handsome car if done tastefully and with period styling cues."

My Blabbing

"Good ideas there and you took it in the direction I had in my fuzzy head. The painter I'm doing the torana for has an xc sedan he got cheap and we've been talking over ideas on what to do with it.

I've had crazy thoughts on doing a pillarless rear suicide conversion like the Lincoln continental. I wanted to tweak the rear pillar somehow but hadn't had a chance to look into it yet. We both thought about the quad lights, but I've been looking for a solution that fits with a slim bumper and doesn't just look like an Xb jammed in there.

Personally I'm ok with turning it into something totally different, maybe like a phantom ford prototype but not necessarily recognised as an xc. I'll see if I can transfer some of what you suggested to a digital mock-up and we'll see how it looks.          

Next thought I had while tweaking things around was pillarless using modded coupe doors and a three quarter rear opening suicide style.

By rear window swap I meant your idea for the side glass. On the computer at least, when you line up rear door glass into front door opening the top edge runs too far uphill. You might be able to grind back the glass and make it fit, not sure if it would survive that process though.

Where I left it last night I had lined up the rear window into the front door space which made the door about as long as a coupe. This had the upper B pillar leaning forward and I thought it didn't look too bad. So move the pillar back and swap sides on the upper half. Use coupe door with the rear edge of a sedan doorskin spliced on to keep the right line. Use coupe door glass up front. Rework rear sedan door to open backwards like an rx8. End up with B and C pillar lines about same angle with the adjusted rear screen angle.          

Bear, when you get around to reading this bit, the back door isn't welded up in this version because it still opens. The front doors are as long as a coupe but have the rear edge of a sedan door.

Steve, there's a thought floating around in my head about using ute tail lights. To me they seem like they would fit in the new profile of the boot and quarters.

Rev, torino was an influence in the reshaped lines. Seemed to be a shape that could be used to make a four door muscle car out of the family sedan.

i've been watching this thread for a while..(sorry if you get hooked on it... ) guy doing a willys pick up body onto late model Jeep.. extende and widened.. basically making the whole thing from scratch.(well, starting with 2 of most things, but repairing rust etc.. making a lot of it)

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=108215&sid=c8cfa411abf41d0de2f4dfebb6f07db1&start=1005

Willys741.jpgWillys747.jpgWillys703.jpg

Love that kind of thread! I'm trying to work my way towards being in a position where I'll be able to do builds like that. Need to acquire a few new tools for the workshop and then work out how to spend that much time on a single build.

Quick! Someone buy me a winning lotto ticket!  :D

i got a bit distracted with the topic BODY mods.. .. most of the body mods i follow in build threads are related to fitting a different drive line

speaking of build threads.. if you find yourself with spare time on your hands you could spend days looking up what this guy finds http://www.build-threads.com/

volks rod for eg http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19805

IMG_3080_zps1uvczvzz.jpg

I'd love to do a Volks rod.

This is the kind of idea I had in my head if I used ute tail lights. Clearly not a finished pic, I'm still learning how to make it do what I want it to.

b25d4995c1e1a8b88fc7113abcd76cd0.jpg

almost like a 4 door coupe with ute bed ..

i was wondering how an XB ute would look with coupe rear quarters and roof..  or well, a coupe with the boot lid removed and rear slightly different(Landau rear perhaps..)

almost like a 4 door coupe with ute bed ..

i was wondering how an XB ute would look with coupe rear quarters and roof..  or well, a coupe with the boot lid removed and rear slightly different(Landau rear perhaps..)

I know that's the impression you get from that quick mock up, but the real thing would only use the lights and the rest would be sedan/coupe styled. Not necessarily recognised as previously an xc but at the same time it wouldn't look like a ute bum tacked on.

At least I hope that's what would come out of it.

Here's tonight's photochopping. Ute tail lights will return, this is just where I'm at so far.

7b865bd5049de6395a1f285e4196fbaf.jpg

Have to rejig the lights and do a better job on the wheel arch, probably change up the wheels and stance next too.