76gxl

Cleveland electronic dissy

Hi all, I am having some back firing issues after revving my 351 Cleveland. I have narrowd it down to the distributor as when it does it, if I take of cap and wiggle shaft it comes good again until i is revved hard again.

The question I have is my dizzy has red and green wires the new dizzy (used thanks hendrixchs) has red and black wires. It is also wired to a msd 6a box. Can anone tell me what colour are what so I don't fry anything.

Already had one electrical fire in this car and don't want anoher one. Lol.

Did different years have different colour wires?

Thanks.

When running them as a pickup purple and orange wires on your MSD. or a module using the white wire? if your running a module I think your using the white wire

If hooked up as a pickup it does not matter witch way the wires are, it will not hurt the pickup it will either run off song or not at all if it does this do the wires the other way

If its just hooked up as the white wire its still red to red an green is where the black will go

Your not running a electronic dissy in a points block? as they have different shaft size it will work but it flogs the bush in the dissy and causes the issue your having where the trigger wheel touches the pickup causing a miss or backfire, it will aso break the trigger wheel in extreme cases. I only ask as its a pre XD car in your stig it may have a points block and will do the same thing again 

Did this very thing when I put my MSD in. Although the wires appeared to sort of match, (dizzy had black wires, one green trace one orange) and logic would tell you that green trace = green wire, etc they were actually the other way around. I found that out when it ran like a busted fart. When you select inductive pick-up, the MSD is looking for an upward slope on the AC wave that the pick-up makes. If you get it backwards, the down slope will come first followed by the upward, meaning your ignition will trigger late (retard). I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it.... Crazy am I correct?

Awesome thanks guys. I bought the car like this and are unsure of the block in it. I just assume it is a black block will check.

What you say pro makes total sense to what mine is doing thanks again .

post the engine number we can tell you what the engine is out of

Jg34my

Hmmm, if I am doing it right I come up with a 1972 block!! :( if you don't mind double checking pro, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Jg34my

Hmmm, if I am doing it right I come up with a 1972 block!! :( if you don't mind double checking pro, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

October 72 to be exact. Out of a Fairmont Sedan originally.

Thanks polson. So do I chuck this other dizzy in to get me by or do I bite the bullet and buy a msd dizzy or equivalent?

It does matter which way the pickup wires are connected . they are still positive and negative . On the older MSD's which ever way gave the most retarded timing was correct .

On the newer digital stuff it is the other way , most advanced 

I predict the Dizzy Glenn has will fit perfectly!

Pmsl, I am pretty sure you are dead right James.

the stress this has caused me, as usual I was over thinking it. Should just have got into it and measured everything.!!!

I have a mate's wedding to do with the car next weekend, and I have been stressing about it a bit making sure everything is going to be good for the day. I would fucken hate to brake down on his wedding day.!

Thanks again James.

Thanks everyone for your replies and help.

One thing that has me a bit confused now is wtf is the dizzy I go of you James out off.?? It's electronic but large shaft. Aftermarket??

No Problems

Im not sure what engine is even in Lucy Lu. I should have a look one day i guess.

It may be aftermarket, i never really took much notice to be honest.

Well confirmed that it did have a xd( small shaft dizzy in it).

Bad news I can't get to fire with he new dizzy.:)

Have you got Spark?

Yea got spark, had to remove the module on the dizzy and jump the wires together.

I'll have another go today. It was pissing me off yesterday. Don't think I have firing order or number one right. Walked away and had a few drinks instead.

Thanks James. I don't think I can get mine that far around as it has a straight housing and the thickness of the hose also.

Is number one in that photo at the 9 o'clock position??

Thanks mate. It kinda seems odd as I believe number one is more like 1 o'clock position. Will get into it in a minute.