Mr Polson

84DA vs 86DA

84 DA has thicker bolts in the flywheel.. can drill your flywheel for the thicker ones.

whats wrong with the current engine... is that the one that chewed the dissy gear

Boys are all over it. You will probable find that most 86da blocks have less wear than 84da, being younger. Not really an issue if you plan on going over size. If you don't plan on adding the ef or ed crank then the 84da will be fine.

Current one leaks everywhere and chews the dizzy gear.

84DA one has either been meticulously cleaned or is rather leak free.

No mods planned so don't mind what crank fits :P

Does 84DA still have a ring type rear main or are they rope type?

Current one leaks everywhere and chews the dizzy gear.

84DA one has either been meticulously cleaned or is rather leak free.

No mods planned so don't mind what crank fits :P

Does 84DA still have a ring type rear main or are they rope type?

Neoprene so 1 piece rear main seal :) The cam gear is probably that worn out causing it to eat distributor gears, could also be "walking" inside the cam tunnel.

84 DA has thicker bolts in the flywheel.. can drill your flywheel for the thicker ones.

whats wrong with the current engine... is that the one that chewed the dissy gear

I know E-series crank bolts are M10 x 1.25, and pre-86DA crossy, Windsor and Clevo are 7/16 UNF, (about 1 mm bigger). Counter-boring will be a machine shop job as they are precision holes with odd spacings.

Neoprene so 1 piece rear main seal :) The cam gear is probably that worn out causing it to eat distributor gears, could also be "walking" inside the cam tunnel.

Did you fit a hardened gear to it though ? If it's a different dizzy or cam to the engine from what it came out of the factory with it will wear.Seen it too many times.Timing gear has nothing to do with chewing gears it was more to do with later blocks were made with dizzy drive alignment issues as standard and as soon as one component in the chain was changed you start wearing dizzy gears like crazy.

Can be fixed for $50 with a hardened dizzy gear from Crow.

Did you fit a hardened gear to it though ? If it's a different dizzy or cam to the engine from what it came out of the factory with it will wear.Seen it too many times.Timing gear has nothing to do with chewing gears it was more to do with later blocks were made with dizzy drive alignment issues as standard and as soon as one component in the chain was changed you start wearing dizzy gears like crazy.

i had an engine that chewed the hardened gear out just as quick.. but certainly worth trying initially.

No they will not wear the camshaft.But as Dean has stated he had no luck with one where as I have had no failures ever when using 1.Its been one of bains of a xflow for years. Swap a dizzy or camshaft on 1 and your odd's on to start eating dizzy gears and you can guess where that metal is going.

But when I used a hardened gear all the issues stopped as it did with heap's of others.  

When i rebuilt the engine in my old XF i fitted the hardened distributor gear to use with the Speco cam i fitted. 150,000 kms and 4 years later no issue what so ever :)

Might chuck one in when I put the motor in then.

What about flywheel bolts? Theyre obviously a different size, and the 84DA motor is auto so only has flex plate bolts. Can I just find the right length ones at the hardware/bolt shop or need something more made for the purpose?

Get a set from the bolt shop. 7/16 UNF grade 8 (6 strokes on the head), hex head cap screws if needed. I used equivalent cap screws in metric on my EF. Flywheel bolts are the strongest in the whole engine, probably the car.

Try and retain the hex head in the crossy if u can in the stronger grade. Or use a decent washer under the socket head cap screw. They need the surface area. Bet still get some off the shelf arp flywheel bolts and forget about any issues.

Bit of luck, flywheel on my current motor (86DA) has holes big enough for the 84DA bolts. Must be off an older motor.

did the bolts fit or did some dodgy person fit a old flywheel to the newer motor and hope for the best(heard of this and it lasted till the car crashed 15,000kms later for unrelated reasons)

From memory I took the flywheel that was bolted the motor I got the T5 from, because I didn't put a new clutch in, so figured keep clutch and flywheel together.

Flywheel I kept was off a XE motor which would be older than 84DA so has right size bolt holes.

I didn't know there were differences in stuff like that back then (four years or so ago)