Server maintenance Read more... ×
CHESTNUTXE

BTR V8 4 SPEED INTO XG OR XD-E

I have a xg ute with a 4.0L and 4 speed auto,can i just swap the bellhousing onto the 6 cyl box ? they look the same,for a v8 conversion like a 5.0 L windsor ? and has anyone put a v8 4 speed behind anything earlier like a xd or xe sedan ? i see the starter motor is on the left .

Assuming you want to put it behind a Clevo, the flexplate going onto it will need to be an earlier Windsor, 28-oz balance 157-tooth to match the bellhousing, as opposed to later (post-82) Windsor ones that were 60oz. Clevos had 164 tooth so won't match the Windsor bellhousing.

You'll need to run the early gearbox computer that was separate from the EEC-IV, probably re-program it too (if possible) for the torque of the V8. I'm not sure about starter motor fitment on later Windsors and what side they're on. If they're on the opposite side to clevos, the block might differ too, which is a no go with the late Windsor bell.

If you want overdrive on your box, an AOD might be more feasible in the end.

Hi guys the au btr use a 50 oz 164t flexplate behind the EFI 5.0:

Unfortunately im finding it hard to find a 164t flexplate in 28oz that has a 10.5 circle bolt pattern to suit au converter in AUS (351W into AU with BTR) Only place seems to sell is summits!

Unfortunately im finding it hard to find a 164t flexplate in 28oz that has a 10.5 circle bolt pattern to suit au converter in AUS (351W into AU with BTR) Only place seems to sell is summits!

Ok my bad.. I assumed all small Windsors were 157 tooth.

Maybe pick the balance weight off and use a bolt-on one, from the states?

I had the same search troubles when trying to find a 164T 50oz flywheel (Cleveland size with Windsor balance). Summit and Jegs were my only option, ended up with a flywheel for the 351w bronco/f150.

I have just been looking on wikipedia ,there is a lot of variants to the AOD ,AOD-E, SO ON AND SO ON,right up to the latest box,the aod came out in america in 1980 and was actually first on the drawing board at ford in the mid sixties,but was shelved until years later.

Hmmm ok,tell us about the Aod is that a earlier trans ?

The AOD (Automatic Over Drive) was a 4-speed with lockup clutch that came out in the early 80s. Its mechanicals were based on the FMX architecture but used an alloy case. They have a funny shift sequence where they go 1-3-4 and 2nd is only available if you kick down from 3rd. There are performance ones available from the states, not many shops here know of them.

AOD wasn't available in AUS on anything. Wasn't needed because Ford dropped the V8 so the only box required from that point onwards was the trusty Borgie 35/40, etc, (on the 6-cyl) which also satisfied local content laws for tarriff exemption.

so it sounds like your up shit creek without a paddle if trying to find a 4 speed auto to fit a cleveland .But what i originaly asked is if i wanted to put a 5.0L windsor in the xg can i use the 6 cyl box and just change bellhousings and converter ect like are they the same box .

so it sounds like your up shit creek without a paddle if trying to find a 4 speed auto to fit a cleveland .But what i originaly asked is if i wanted to put a 5.0L windsor in the xg can i use the 6 cyl box and just change bellhousings and converter ect like are they the same box .

Different ratios bellhousing and converter, much easier to use a 5.0 box

But what i originaly asked is if i wanted to put a 5.0L windsor in the xg can i use the 6 cyl box and just change bellhousings and converter ect like are they the same box .

Oh ok I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to slap one behind a Clevo in a box Falcon. Thom is the go-to man for any E-series questions, looks like the NC box is going to do the trick.

They can be re-programmed and beefed up somewhat, but if you get it done up, make sure they use pre-EL planetaries as the later ones are weak and fail in no time behind a V8 or turbo 6.

yes ok its out of a nc fairlane which is 93-94 i think  thats way before the EL. it has a converter as well,but no flywheel.i assume my 6cyl linkages will go straight in.

Did you guys ever get any further on this . A mate is doing one now . A BTR V8 trans and converter bolted right up to a Clevo flexplate .  Yet to have it driving , but using the early stand alone ECU. Looks to be so far a good swap 

The guy previously had an AOD that would die every few weeks . It'd been rebuilt and modded several times I believe but obviously not done right 

Yeah the AOD sounds like a nice idea on paper with a lockup clutch and overdrive, but they have a screwy shift sequence that locks out 2nd gear or something silly like that until you shift back down into 1st from 3rd.

The BTR is a solid lump, 1st gear is pretty tall though. I reckon going behind a clevo would need some more line pressure and firming up the shifts, etc. Also lockup clutch pressure if you can possibly up that as well.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk