SatansReverence

Little Red Riding hood.

39 posts in this topic

Rescued this little red miniture XD over the weekend and looks like a relatively cheap and easy project.

vxHRr4q.jpg

It's a little Datsun 910 Bluebird TRX that was engineered eons ago for the little FJ20ET engine. My brother bought it near on 10 years ago, virtually nothing needed to get in on the road and registered and proceeded to pull it apart bit by bit because "super duper awesome race car plans" that never eventuated. At best, he added a couple brackets for an intercooler.

f8v7bcK.jpg

Anyway, fast forward a few years of living in various sheds with nothing being done, he finally abandadoned the car in a garage at a house he moved out of. Last minute effort on my part to rescue it. I ended up needing to load it onto a car trailer with no wheels on it and most of the front suspension taken out (why you ask? No one knows).

QcLo3S4.jpg

Inch by inch I managed to get it off the trailer (getting it on was even harder) without doing any damage.

8jwk47u.jpg

It was quite the perilous exercise

9Ugn9ib.jpg

But finally...

N6FYUmo.jpg

it's all safe at home.

First step will be unloading all the whats inside it, various cars parts and other shit all while hoping the once immaculate interior is still serviceable. Then I can start piecing the suspension and brakes back together and finally start assessing the engine situation followed but a closed door repsray plus a couple extra panels. End result should be a nice, sort of quite little beast of a sleeper.

Thom, scottly, winton and 9 others like this

Gotta love a datto! Reminded me of one I used to see around about 20 years back. (jeez feel old saying stuff like that lol ) anyway, was a white one done up like a Bathurst special, in the weeds with the widest wheels and body extensions I think I've ever seen on a road car. Funny part was every time I saw it, it was parked on the side of the road at the same spot and getting yet another bollocking from the cops. Probably the same cop too.

SatansReverence likes this

Did you get the factory wheels etc?

No wheels unfortunately but most if not all of the mechanicals should be there.

My boss actually has a set of datsun TRX wheels that I'm in the process of getting a good price on :)

scottly and deankdx like this

Cool little project mate I bet there would of been a few hairy moments loading and unloading the beast

Quite a few times I thought I was gonna lose it haha. but slow steady and calmness got it off.

Geez this brought back a memory..... I had a Datsun Bluebird in the early 90,s, Wasnt that bad a car for a 4 banger. Had a TF Cortina and the Bluebird at the same time and advertised both of them and what didnt sell I kept.... Bluebird sold in a couple days. Funny the things you remember....

That should be a weapon. I like to refer to the FJ as the Japanese Cosworth.

Nice save too... Dattos are easy to work on, parts interchange is very good between lots of models.

Were all the missing suspension parts with the car, to re-assemble it?

What did your bro sell the factory wheels? :o

Edit - found your TRX Bluebird's twin, on the FB Datsun classified page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DatsunClassifiedsAustralia/permalink/1025090984228266/?sale_post_id=1025090984228266

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209803514592787&set=pcb.1022454237825274&type=3&theater

Is that the Trx that use to have a secret manual boost controller as the odometer reset button in the cluster, just turn clockwise and she has more boost? Any one else heard about this?

Were all the missing suspension parts with the car, to re-assemble it?

What did your bro sell the factory wheels? :o

Edit - found your TRX Bluebird's twin, on the FB Datsun classified page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DatsunClassifiedsAustralia/permalink/1025090984228266/?sale_post_id=1025090984228266

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209803514592787&set=pcb.1022454237825274&type=3&theater

Pretty sure all the mechanicals and suspension is there. Gonna find out this weekend.

Is that the Trx that use to have a secret manual boost controller as the odometer reset button in the cluster, just turn clockwise and she has more boost? Any one else heard about this?

Nah don't think so. Hasn't even seen the bitumen in near 10 years.

SPArKy_Dave likes this

Did a drive with a mate in his bluebird to pick up a Hk back in the day.  We went though a locust plague and the front of the car was yellow after (car was white).  

Didn't mind the ol bluebird, one of those nicely balanced cars which didn't chew tyres either.  Was quite a decent tourer, and the seats were bloody good (like most were when nissans were made here).

Making me all nostalgic that, I had hair on my head then too.

Last I saw a bluebird try to tow a car, it needed the heater on flat out to stop it overheating haha. Not a bad effort for teh little L20B though!

Last I saw a bluebird try to tow a car, it needed the heater on flat out to stop it overheating haha. Not a bad effort for teh little L20B though!

a mate of mine was given a similar model bluebird to take to the local car wash by a friend of his Mum, for some reason it came back boiling...

suffice to say it couldn't do a burnout no matter how hard he tried(automatic wagon version)

i've seen quick ones back 25years ago when i was a P plater.. well, by quick... they may have been as fast as an EB XR8 or similar(slower than a stock EF)

Ok, so I unloaded all the crap that was inside of it.

Firstly, the interior is going to need a bit of work. the rear seat base is the wrong colour, the seats in general are pretty filthy due to car parts being stored inside and some of the dash is cracked/scratched etc. Think I might try getting at least the front seats steam cleaned or something because no tears and still hella comfy.

Found the charge pipes for the motor but the turbo and manifold have gone walk about but I was already planning on making a new manifold and replacing the turbo.

Found a spare FJ20ET computer and gasket kit, score!

Front struts and brakes all showed up but I think new front discs and bearings would be prudent while it's all pulled apart.

So in all, the job is only a little bigger then I had hoped so hopes are indeed high still. Will try to get the front struts in and rear brakes on by the end of today.

deankdx and 2redrovers like this

you could try Glenn's(xm221) method for car seat cleaning.. seen it work well several times now

remove them, drive to car wash with high pressure spray.. (cant remember if he starts with engine wash on them or not, but good chance that would shift the oil)

i have scrubbed seats in the past with napisan, preen and clothes washing powder with bucket of water and toweled dry.. hard work but came up well also...

spose it depends on carefactor in the end.

can you even get a good used seat for these now, all extinct pretty much i'd have thought

Wool wash, Wet Dry Vac and a hot bucket of water...

Add some woolwash to hot bucket of water and use a bannister brush... (the one that you use with the little shovel thingy after sweeping) do the upright and give it a scrub. vaccuum then do the base and dry in the sun with windows down an inch or so if still in the car...

Defective and SatansReverence like this