Defective

Defective's xf pano...

492 posts in this topic

Finally back in a x series... I've been pissing round trying to make up my mind for ages on what to buy, need something I could use as a daily, but also as a project to stop me going insane.

Saw this advertised ages ago, but then forgot all about it. It was re advertised mid week, and I've been champing at the bit for today to roll round so I could go check it out.

Ex vic car, owner moved up a year ago. It's only a dodgy backyard paint job, but passes the ten foot test pretty well. There seems to be very very little rust trying to poke it's head through the paint so far.

Weird combo, it's got air, but no power steer. Being a 1990 I thinking the power steer was removed at some point.

Anyway, went to look at it, and asked the guy what he thought it needed for a rwc. He thought just a wheel alignment. So I took it for a run round the block and whoa! It was a bloody handful, way more than just an alignment needed. Ended up doing the deal anyway, chucked a one day permit on it and figured I'd stop at the nearest tyre shop and get it aligned as close as possible just to get it home.

Not even 5 kays down the road I know there's no way I driving this an hour and a half to get home haha.

Anything over 50km/h and the front tyres were howling and the van was all over the place.

Stopped at the first bob Jane I came across and got him to have a look. Thinking steering box was cactus.

He calls me while I having lunch 'sorry, can't do alignment, you need to come have a chat'

Turns out the bottom control arms bushes were so rooted there was about 4 inches of movement in the front wheels. With it jacked up you push the wheel in and out and bits of blue bushes just full onto the ground.... Noltec?

So il order some bits tomorrow, and hopefully get that sorted during the week if they turn up.

So after a $330 tow it finally made it home.

c768fc73e42f9090e0387b81f94fa638.jpg

Man it sits high. The highest xfalcon I've owned for sure.

1bfbbabd675f87b0b1ee53e1d8cfec87.jpg

Plans? Ride height needs adjusting. Bad.

Interior is pretty tidy, but stock. I'd like to shoehorn some ba xr seats in there, and make up a custom centre console. (Column auto)

Engine wise, il leave alone for now. I do have a nl Concorde sitting at work that's just asking to be relieved of its motor and box. A tickford 4.0 and btr would make a massive difference compared to the tired old crossy.

Outback Jack likes this

I like that, great car for weekends down the beach.

Good score, even if it has issue's and required a tow.

Factory yellow?

Nah, it was white. Engine bay still is. I think a total suspension overhaul is on the cards. At least all that stuff is easy and inexpensive to come by.

Funnily enough I was more pissed about wasting the $80 on a day permit than the $300 tow lol.

Outback Jack likes this

i've seen bushes like that.. after i drove home 200km ish at 110kmh.. (rear of my XG, shackle bushes.)

i prefer rubber bushes generally.. this is one reason(nolathane sway bar link bushes the exception)

shackel%20bush%20blue_zpsgzpuawag.jpeg

shackel%20bush%20blue%202_zps7vv2ey0b.jp

Defective and SPArKy_Dave like this

Nah, it was white. Engine bay still is. I think a total suspension overhaul is on the cards. At least all that stuff is easy and

inexpensive to come by.

Funnily enough I was more pissed about wasting the $80 on a day permit than the $300 tow lol.

$80 on a day permit geez id be pissed too it only costs $51 for a weekly permit at vicroads

Blue bushes = Superpro

Yep, personally I'm very picky about where any polyurethane bushes go.

They just don't last.

Add to that, the increased NVH.

And when they do fail, they do so in a dramatic way - they literally crumble.

As Dean said - Poly bushes for Caster bar and swaybar link pins only, on x-series IMO.

Ford still sell brand new leaf spring bushes for these (as they're the same up to FGX, on the utes).

Any rubber bushes Ford don't have available anymore, go for Mackay or Kelpro brand if possible.

edit -

Btw, that is one killer looking XF panelvan there - awesome score!

(But I have x4 x-series panno's so I could be biased)

:)

And I call dibs on those Gold Concorde wheels, if you end up parting out the NL Lane, and aren't using them... :P

Defective and XTREME KARTS XF like this

Goddamn that blue one is sweet. Tail gate and windowless.... Hard to find in that combo.

I like the wheels too, suit it bloody well.

I'm thinking ill stay old style wheels on mine, I've always loved fat 12 slots or tridents on x series, and I reckon they drive much nicer than on big diameter rims.

I can see this big girl soaking up a lot of money haha.

XTREME KARTS XF likes this

My 90 XF Pano is the same optioned A/C no P/S,

my bro recently brought a XE S-pak Pano with tailgates, keeps tagging me in Pano's lol

This is how it will stay now until I sort out some front end parts.

b2a2326dd84ff5efd1d4c26f4c83ac4d.jpg

Got a mate pricing up complete bottom control arms tomorrow.

So far I've seen on eBay you can get remanufactured ones for $180, or brand new whitleline ones for about $280.

Is there any negatives to the reman' ones?

Nice score.An xd front would look pretty sweet with that colour.

Haha, no the only way I would change from xf is if I came across all the xe ghia bits for the right price.

Got a mate pricing up complete bottom control arms tomorrow.

So far I've seen on eBay you can get remanufactured ones for $180, or brand new whitleline ones for about $280.

Is there any negatives to the reman' ones?

As long as they have rubber bushes.....

Whiteline may be poly bushes, so I'd check that.

Pretty easy to get new bushes pressed in, if you choose that route.

Defective likes this

My 90 XF Pano is the same optioned A/C no P/S,

my bro recently brought a XE S-pak Pano with tailgates, keeps tagging me in Pano's lol

I'd like to see that one! I dont think I've ever seen an xe s pac pano

I don't think utes and vans got P/S standard like the sedan and wagons, the utes and vans also missed out on the disc rear whereas the sedan/wagon did

I don't think utes and vans got P/S standard like the sedan and wagons, the utes and vans also missed out on the disc rear whereas the sedan/wagon did

I think this depends on which model you have. Standard ute=40 & van=42 would not have, but GL ute=41 & van=45 and sundowner van=47 would probably have power steer and a/c standard. Not entirely sure on this at this stage but that detail is what appears to fit.  

Mr Polson likes this