RAWDEAL

Sourcing Stainless steampipe (2.5") As close as i can to geelong

I am trying to source materials to build my turbo manifolds .. i need some steampipe

i want to use stainless i am just not sure where to get it from

ill be needing bends and straight lengths in 2.5"

Does anyone know anywhere in Geelong or melb or online?

use grade 304 pipe, not 316, and sch10 for the thickness,  any steel place should be able to get this,  hate to think what bends would cost, as all this type of stuff would come with test certs,

Do i need the 40 or the 10? i kinda figured since its a single turbo v8 it might need 40?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use 304 it will crack eventually, it's not rated for high temperatures. 321 is the stuff you want, it's rated for much higher temps. I'd just use ceramic coated mild steel steam pipe personally. It's cheap and should last forever. But if stainless is a must go with 321 grade. I'd go with sched 40

I wouldn't use 304 it will crack eventually, it's not rated for high temperatures. 321 is the stuff you want, it's rated for much higher temps. I'd just use ceramic coated mild steel steam pipe personally. It's cheap and should last forever. But if stainless is a must go with 321 grade. I'd go with sched 40

Surely the 304 sc40 would last ages ?.. and i can easily repair cracks myself anyways

I am unsure where to find 321 grade though

Surely the 304 sc40 would last ages ?.. and i can easily repair cracks myself anywaysI am unsure where to find 321 grade though

Yeah sure you can repair the cracks, it will crack again right next to the weld due to the properties of the metal changing forever. Then mount a heavy turbo to that. 321 is a lot harder to come by for sure but if you can't get a hold of 321, what's wrong with mild steel? If you want it pretty then ceramic coat it.

Surely the 304 sc40 would last ages ?.. and i can easily repair cracks myself anywaysI am unsure where to find 321 grade thoughYeah sure you can repair the cracks, it will crack again right next to the weld due to the properties of the metal changing forever. Then mount a heavy turbo to that. 321 is a lot harder to come by for sure but if you can't get a hold of 321, what's wrong with mild steel? If you want it pretty then ceramic coat it.

i fucking hate tig welding mild pipe as it oil and shit in it lol

and stainless looks 10x better than ceramic coating, which would double the cost because the stainless is pretty much on par with the mild steel as far as pricing goes

im going to mount a flex in the middle near the front of the pipe/sump/on the long side of the piping.. and the turbo will be mounted directly to the engine so not much weight will be on it

if you linish it back and use S2 "super steel" filler rod it's nice to weld. If its staino you want......

Up to you whether you go 304 or not, read up on carbide precipitation before you do. Mild steel steam pipe bends are about $3 ea from memory in 1.5". Not too expensive.

if you linish it back and use S2 "super steel" filler rod it's nice to weld. If its staino you want......

Up to you whether you go 304 or not, read up on carbide precipitation before you do. Mild steel steam pipe bends are about $3 ea from memory in 1.5". Not too expensive.

You must have a long memory or i just havnt had any luck getting quotes lol

been quoted 10 or 12 dollars per bend!

You must have a long memory or i just havnt had any luck getting quotes lolbeen quoted 10 or 12 dollars per bend!Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You're talking mild steel steam pipe bends right? When I got my 1 1/4" sched 40 bends a few months back they were about that much from Edcon steel who aren't the cheapest around, 1.5" would be dearer but not by much. I'm going there tomorrow to grab a couple of things, I'll see exactly how much they are, I can guarantee it won't be $10 or $12 each.

Dropped into Edcon this arvo 1.5"NB sched 40, 90 degree buttweld mild steel bends $2.40 ea. including GST, 2.5" were around $4.50

Jesus christ. Where is Edcon lol?

i Will hpc coat the mild steel and have money left over ..

Pro-chem dandenong mate, cant give much info price wise but couldnt be much closer and have everything I've needed for work.

Sorry mate I read Dandenong for some reason, might be a bit out of your way unless they have other branches

Edited by user272

Jesus christ. Where is Edcon lol?i Will hpc coat the mild steel and have money left over ..

Edcon are just small steel suppliers in NSW. Blackwoods also sell them at much the same price and have 45 deg bends readily available too. There's a Blackwoods in Bell park which is close to Geelong

Jesus christ. Where is Edcon lol?i Will hpc coat the mild steel and have money left over ..Edcon are just small steel suppliers in NSW. Blackwoods also sell them at much the same price and have 45 deg bends readily available too. There's a Blackwoods in Bell park which is close to Geelong

Champion! i was quoted 12+ a bend from a few local steel suppliers lol

i can finally get a quote and order what i need.. i an gonna start with factory headers that are flipped and it should not take long