Mr Polson

Clutch Fan - Can you check them?

Not sure if my clutch fan is playing up, you know how they get louder when they spin faster, well mine seems to sound loud all the time.

Haven't had the time to sit and watch it to see if it speeds up and slows down. Haven't noticed increased fuel consumption or any temp changes.

Anyway to test them besides watching to see the speed change?

Mine in the XG does fuck all too, but works enough to stay cool. Got EL thermos to smash in when I can be bothered. Which could be months.

Why are people scared of wiring? Fans need power and a ground to work. Switch the power with a relay triggered from a temp sensor, switch or one of those davies craig style controllers.

I'd use a factory style switch, do XFs have a spare spot in the head or therno housing for one? Then its all factory style and neat.

I think you have to cut the excess snout off the water pump shaft.

Its worth it just to lose the gay sound, might gain a bit more response from the fan not hanging off the pump?

Wiring is complicated, and it's quite easy to get wrong, and can be very tedious to track problems... That said thinking about it, adding parts in isn't too hard or anything, its more wiring faults that make me go urgh.

EL ones are the way to go yeah? I thought fans were more complicated, although I suppose the switch would take care of adding the power and everything at the right temps?

There is a spot on the thermostat housing where some models had vacuum lines and stuff coming from it. That's in front of the thermostat though, would that matter?

I think it depends on the fans as to if there is room for the thread from the pump to be untouched.

We put el thermos on my Cleveland $129 off eBay brand new, the way my mate wired them up was through a controler but the sensor is just a bit of wire that goes on the inside of the radiator hose when the water temp gets to about I think 90degrees they come on flat out and cool it down real quick

Those controllers seem the most common solution. I just don't like the probe in the hose, eveybody reckons they leak no matter what. Bit untidy too.

The EF and EL fans were wired differently, can't remember how. It relates to them being able to work at different speeds. I'd just ignore the extra stuff and go full speed, they will go for a bit then turn off.

Normally one is triggered by the AC too, but I'm guessing the ute doesn't have that. Just run a wire off the compressor switch wire to the relay trigger for one fan.

Those controllers seem the most common solution. I just don't like the probe in the hose, eveybody reckons they leak no matter what. Bit untidy too.

The EF and EL fans were wired differently, can't remember how. It relates to them being able to work at different speeds. I'd just ignore the extra stuff and go full speed, they will go for a bit then turn off.

Normally one is triggered by the AC too, but I'm guessing the ute doesn't have that. Just run a wire off the compressor switch wire to the relay trigger for one fan.

get one of these then the probe won't leak

(T)TEMP-SENSOR-adaptor-kit-0409.jpg

Yeah factory styled switch would be a lot better looking.

I'd imagine different speeds would be ran by the ECU anyway.

Yeah no AC to worry about in the ute.

I got a set of EF fans in my XE wagon 302, I run them in series (both half speed) and it never goes above 40% on the temp gauge. Without A/C you'll be fine running them at half speed, and much less strain on your alternator.

I run a VDO temp switch screwed into a 1/2" NPT port in the water pump. I also ran it previously in my EA and had it screwed into a drilled/tapped hole in the top of the thermostat housing. Temp switches are available in many thread sizes and temp settings, I know on XE Crossy there's an Allen key plug in the top of the thermostat housing, I think it's 3/8" NPT.

Temp switches often earth out to switch on, making it very easy to wire up. On a relay, you run fused battery power to the 30 terminal, 87 to the fans, 85 from ignition and 86 to the temp switch to turn the whole thing on when needed. Four wires and you're done. Not so hard is it?

Whats wrong with leaving a stuffed clutch fan on it?

The clutch fan on Nana has been dead for months and it still keeps her cool

doesn't make any horrid noises and does the job

If you have that spare, jam that on it, should be a ten minute job.

The thermo's would be good but if wiring is not your strong point or it means spending $100 on the conversion

then jam that spare clutch fan on it. ;)

I got a set of EF fans in my XE wagon 302, I run them in series (both half speed) and it never goes above 40% on the temp gauge. Without A/C you'll be fine running them at half speed, and much less strain on your alternator.

I run a VDO temp switch screwed into a 1/2" NPT port in the water pump. I also ran it previously in my EA and had it screwed into a drilled/tapped hole in the top of the thermostat housing. Temp switches are available in many thread sizes and temp settings, I know on XE Crossy there's an Allen key plug in the top of the thermostat housing, I think it's 3/8" NPT.

Temp switches often earth out to switch on, making it very easy to wire up. On a relay, you run fused battery power to the 30 terminal, 87 to the fans, 85 from ignition and 86 to the temp switch to turn the whole thing on when needed. Four wires and you're done. Not so hard is it?

Maybe I have an XE styled thermostat housing??

IMG_20130414_174911_zps37b2dc10.jpg

IMG_20130414_174923_zps729326dc.jpg

Four wires... My speakers have four wires and yet I managed to wire them up back the front...

What do all the numbers mean? As in 30, 87, 85 and 86?

Whats wrong with leaving a stuffed clutch fan on it?

The clutch fan on Nana has been dead for months and it still keeps her cool

doesn't make any horrid noises and does the job

If you have that spare, jam that on it, should be a ten minute job.

The thermo's would be good but if wiring is not your strong point or it means spending $100 on the conversion

then jam that spare clutch fan on it. ;)

Its stuffed? I like everything in working order, plus I have noticed the gauge go up a few bars higher when in heavy traffic or up a long hill... I do also occasionally tow stuff so cooling is important there.

I have a spare but I'd have to go get it, and try and take it off, and I'm not actually sure if it works...

I have friends who are good with wiring, I'll just bribe them to do it ;) 

Plus it'll need thermos eventually when I put the Clevo in it, may as well bite the bullet and have them working well in advance.

the thermo fan on my ute was stuffed and it was awful fan noise at anything over 1500rpm

it wasn't until i drove low km XG that i saw a clutch fan that worked how it should (it kicks in like a thermo fan and slows down enough that ya can't hear it when the engine cools)

Mine definitely USED to work, you'd hear, see and feel it kick in if you were doing anything under the bonnet with the motor running... Never has been that loud but its a metal one (only AC had the plastic), and the metal ones are definitely quieter than the plastic ones... Another downside to the spare clutch fan, its plastic I think...

Its not keeping it cool all the time, as I said heavy traffic and or long steep hills the temp starts bumping up... Wouldn't want to get caught in a big long traffic jam...

I know where I can get a set of thermos from, I just have to sort the wiring side...

Maybe I have an XE styled thermostat housing??

Four wires... My speakers have four wires and yet I managed to wire them up back the front...

What do all the numbers mean? As in 30, 87, 85 and 86.

Yep that's the same thermo housing as mine. Good luck getting that plug out though, I broke an Allen key trying to shift mine.

For everyone's reference, Bosch relays have a numbering system:

30 - supply

85 - trigger in

86 - earth

87 - to device/load

The pin positions can vary, and there are relays that have an extra pin output (87a) for supplying power when not triggered. These are called changeover relays and are used on fog lights, etc when you need the low beam dipped, so it's one or the other.

If you learn a bit more about electrics, you can wire up your thermofans to run in series or parallel, giving two speeds. This is how they did it on the EF setup.