ando76

Is the crossflow dead???

Well many have said that the crossflows days are done. Well I say nope. Why?

Because the weekend just gone, 68 modified productions took to Lismore Speedway to battle for the Australian Modified sedan title for 2015-16.

Everything from BA/FG Falcons to latest model v something alloy tec Commodores. Throw in a couple of old Cortys, xf's and VL Commodores as well.

And the fastest car and highest point scorer from the heats was a big xf falcon with solid roller cam crossflow goodness. Yep good old crossflow power sitting there on pole at the national title.

And we would have had Australia 1 if it were it not for a deflating RR tyre!!!!! But all was not lost as a Ford still won, all be it a BA. The good old crossflow grunted on for very commendable 3rd.

If your on Facebook get onto Ash Media and watch the final laps. Watch Gavin in his all conquering crossflow powered XF giving it to the late models. Its pretty damn impressive effort. Yes Gavin can wheel but it still takes serious mumbo to stay competitive against the late model cars.

Long live the Crossflow !!

I took hendrixhc advise and ended up giving my crossy to one of those fun run cars for charity,i was all keen for 6 months to hotting it up ,but as soon as i nearly broke my seat shifting from 1st to 2nd in the new clevo i have decided just to stick with it.

To be fair though, all the brilliant spanner-spinners like yourself have had 30-odd years of development on the old tractor donk vs 10 or so for the multi-cam wonders you mentioned (ohc is a different story).

Nonetheless, that's a very impressive result from something that would never, ever have been thought of as a performance engine, especially by those that designed it.

Also helps that some clevo bits will bolt on, makes upgrading the performance capability much easier than trying to work with stock Barra or expensive custom bits.

My xflow uses... EF crank,SBC conrods,SBC and ford bearings,Yamaha pistons,SBC balancer,Windsor flexplate,BBC rockers,BBC pushrods,BBF lifters,Windsor and Holden valves,custom guide plates,custom tray sump girdle stud kit,Toyota guides,Windsor sump stud kit. 

Xflow head stud kit,xflow based but non stock manifold,timing chain kit and a custom but xflow based camshaft and oil pump and a xflow based block and cyl head.

The list of xflow parts is much smaller then non originals where as chasing power with a barra you use more or less all Barra.Oh and a turbo.

Agreed totally men. But the cylinder head and main structure/design of the engine remains and to think that they are still capable of that level of performance is remarkable.

As gerg pointed out, they were never designed to do it, the Barra on the other hand arguably was. Don't get me wrong, I like the Barra engine and its tech, but I reckon their is still plenty of life left in the old crossy.

Gavin's XF wasnt the only one up there menacing the late models. Brodie Christie from Victoria was well up there in the mix. He was challenging for 4th when he too suffered a flat tyre, but his went dead flat and he was black flagged.

Indeed.  development is a lovely thing.  No one would have thought 300 hp was possible from a red six either, but frankly its a fucking boat anchor compared to the crossy.

I second that... Holden lost the plot when they brought out the VB dunnydoor... With a red six! Ford was onto it way before that with the XC. When the iron crossy came out, it met all emissions requirements and gave away no power. The red on the other hand, became a wheezy, thirsty dog box of an engine when they went and strangled it with pollution gear but did nothing to make up for it.

And 300 hp is much easier from a crossy than a red or black. Just ask the historic race car guys running Toranas, who spend 8 grand just on a billet crank.

I must confess that I screwed up and the winner was actually drivering a pesky late model crappadore. Only found out when I looked at a passenger side photo of the car today and saw an old SLE rim. Man I'm not so happy now.

Might be time to resurrect 76. I've got the new cage kit sitting there. Oh that's right - no bloody time. Time to fix that I think...

I hope not,

I have a serious one planed for my Cortina and after recent findings, hoping for very good power

Would like ITBs with EFi but haven't priced yet.

Triple Webers where factory fitted to R/T Chargers, that will cover you for mopar.

then the Xflow makes more torque spread over a larger rpm range with a mild cam and good exhaust than the BA/Ecotech one would think the xflow would fucking win! Also weight .... the XE/XF weigh noting when stripped out, honestly you can get them down to 1100kg with a cage without trying too hard, a BA will weight a few hundred kg more

Most of the BA modified sedan guys get them down to the same weight as xf and some make them a bit lighter. They take a bit less cage than the xf so I guess that helps.

NO NO the mighty XFLOW IS NOT DEAD AT ALL.

WE ARE Q1 in the Qld Modoifed sedans. Gavin Fletcher does it again in the mighty XF falcon with x flow power. Beat 50 challengers and a damn lot of big dollar efi cars.

Man between Rob running an 11 and Gavin winning I'm so pumped....

While buying parts in the last few weeks the response from part places has been like a joke like huh a crossflow we havent had any call for 250 gear for ages,well i dont care im building it and with help from ando and aussie speed i hope to get 300hp in a gutted out xe or xf .

1 hour ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

While buying parts in the last few weeks the response from part places has been like a joke like huh a crossflow we havent had any call for 250 gear for ages,well i dont care im building it and with help from ando and aussie speed i hope to get 300hp in a gutted out xe or xf .

when i went into Ford, and said i was after stuff for an XG, he replied whats that?.... haven't seen one for 10yrs

Crossflows aren't about HP as I've recently found out, 300hp at flywheel or to the wheels?

I put down 210rwhp through a manual and 3.45 diff and ran a 9.15 on the 1/8 first ever time out on the track.

Seen a 275hp at the wheels crossflow with lots of money and a lot of custom modifications with all the good bits run a 9.15 1/8 through a c4 and 4000rpm stall converter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you're talking stock vs stock, a 5.8 4-speed XE was only 0.5 sec quicker than an EFI 4.1 over the quarter. Build one right and you could have a cheap WRX beater.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Build pretty much anything and you will have a decent motor, with cost being the only real deciding factor.

for most people doing mild street cars then a Crossy would be down the list a bit. Easier and cheaper to run a Barra these days. Even a n/a Barra would see a xdef into the 13s quite easily. 

If my Crossy turns out to be a disappointment when it goes in my van then il most likely go Barra. Ls would be nice, but rego is a killer on v8s up here,

Xflows r bullet proof and plenty of good second hand parts around. I just built a turbo xflow out of good used aftermarket bits and pieces I had laying around. Goes super good and was dirt cheap to put together.