salad351

XD vs XF vs XG Brakes

Hi Guys,

Im currently in the process of upgrading my brakes on the XD to a 300mm Hoppers combo and just have a few questions when it comes to the Booster/Master Cylinder combination. I am yet to put the bigger brakes on, however want to achieve optimum Booster/Master combo before i make the swap.

Currently i am running the smaller XF single diaphragm booster with a new XF master, this feels pretty good, the car pulls up well but ive found the pedal has quite a bit of travel before the brakes really bite, this isnt an issue as i am used to it and I'd assume standard with a power assisted car.

After doing some reading and now acquiring the big brake kit I've been advised against using the XF Booster as it produces the least amount of 'boost'. Would it be better to go back to an XD Booster/Master Combo? Or would it be better sourcing an XG XR Booster with the spacer plate and the later style master (XF Style)? Im guessing anything twin diaphragm (XD/XE/XG) would be better than what i have?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Bill

The diameter of the piston inside the master is where all the work is done. The booster is just that, a booster. Bigger diameter booster, less effort on the pedal by you.

The 'low' pedal is probably caused by runout of the disc rotor, (warpage) which 'knocks' the pads back into the calipers when going round and round.

Thats why race drivers tap the brake pedal before jumping on it. Puts the pads closest to the rotor.

Peter from Hoppers Stoppers told me years ago that the XF booster and master were way superior to the XD/E versions, hence the reason it was put on the XD that they did the R&D on their big brake kits with.

I'm pretty sure it was only the XG XRs and the XGs with the brake upgrade that ran the spacer and later master, and I think some EB/ED V8s

mine is 20years old(1996 XG XR6..) brakes look and feel the same as a plain XF to Me.

that said, they could have been replaced in that time with standard parts.

XG%20XR6.booster_zps0mqirmco.jpg

XG%20XR6_zpsgjn3wsir.jpg

Thanks for the input guys, I'm currently in the process of putting the XF gear back on :)

Ahh ok, I think it was only part of the brake upgrade option on the XGs then? Not entirely sure

Thanks again guys!

the car pulls up well but ive found the pedal has quite a bit of travel before the brakes really bite, this isnt an issue as i am used to it and I'd assume standard with a power assisted car.

Disc/disc or disc/drum?

I've got two XFs, one wagon with disc/disc and a ute with disc/drum, and I find the ute has more travel in the brake pedal before biting, the wagon is almost instant brakes as you push the pedal (not unbearably touchy though)

What's the brake upgrade on an XG? I've never heard of that being an option until AU.

I think it was an E-Series option that they carried over, I'll get my workshop manual and take a snap when I get a chance, but it's got something to do with the pads they used, this then had the Dual Diaphragm Booster with the XF Style Master

the car pulls up well but ive found the pedal has quite a bit of travel before the brakes really bite, this isnt an issue as i am used to it and I'd assume standard with a power assisted car.

Disc/disc or disc/drum?

I've got two XFs, one wagon with disc/disc and a ute with disc/drum, and I find the ute has more travel in the brake pedal before biting, the wagon is almost instant brakes as you push the pedal (not unbearably touchy though)

Disc/Disc setup

XR8 got the dual diaphragm. Not sure about the XR6. But they were all E-series. EB/ED  models with two different sizes 230 mm and 200mm. Not sure which is which

As with the XG XR6 not sure but couldn't think it be hard to put an XR8 version in they are all metal but may be different foot pedal arrangement position.

XR8 got the dual diaphragm. Not sure about the XR6. But they were all E-series. EB/ED  models with two different sizes 230 mm and 200mm. Not sure which is which

As with the XG XR6 not sure but couldn't think it be hard to put an XR8 version in they are all metal but may be different foot pedal arrangement position.

XG has the XF setup.. XH not so sure, XH had the Eseries suspension

the V8 had a bigger booster because they had less vacuum than a 6cyl i thought

I reckon your right about v8 booster. I think all 6 cylinders are the same from xf-xg and e-series regardless xr or not. Not sure about xh never own one probably think it would be the same as it shares the same fire wall?But aren't the ef-el different again made from plastic?

I reckon your right about v8 booster. I think all 6 cylinders are the same from xf-xg and e-series regardless xr or not. Not sure about xh never own one probably think it would be the same as it shares the same fire wall?But aren't the ef-el different again made from plastic?

Mark fitted a new one, (V8 XH) pretty sure its plastic, so not the XF style.

Hi Guys,

Im currently in the process of upgrading my brakes on the XD to a 300mm Hoppers combo and just have a few questions when it comes to the Booster/Master Cylinder combination. I am yet to put the bigger brakes on, however want to achieve optimum Booster/Master combo before i make the swap.

Currently i am running the smaller XF single diaphragm booster with a new XF master, this feels pretty good, the car pulls up well but ive found the pedal has quite a bit of travel before the brakes really bite, this isnt an issue as i am used to it and I'd assume standard with a power assisted car.

After doing some reading and now acquiring the big brake kit I've been advised against using the XF Booster as it produces the least amount of 'boost'. Would it be better to go back to an XD Booster/Master Combo? Or would it be better sourcing an XG XR Booster with the spacer plate and the later style master (XF Style)? Im guessing anything twin diaphragm (XD/XE/XG) would be better than what i have?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Bill

looks like we'd be interested in hearing about this spacer plate and XG XR booster..

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0ji0H1UEUdlKNk7b6R5pmcrFJRQi8pPPHzJmtgamvoXxXDoDZsul8bNjo

(Wouldn't let me post the link as an image)

That's just a generic Google Image however the same that was on my dad's XR XG, just with the pink reservoir instead.

Are the EB/ED Boosters 3 studs or 4? If 3 it was probably just swapped with one of those before we originally bought it

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0ji0H1UEUdlKNk7b6R5pmcrFJRQi8pPPHzJmtgamvoXxXDoDZsul8bNjo

(Wouldn't let me post the link as an image)

That's just a generic Google Image however the same that was on my dad's XR XG, just with the pink reservoir instead.

Are the EB/ED Boosters 3 studs or 4? If 3 it was probably just swapped with one of those before we originally bought it

interesting, i'd say that pic looks like an XD XE booster with an XF master cyl(may need the spacer for that reason...not sure)

not sure on the E series.. 

another thing to note is the XG XR6 still has the solid rear discs unlike the XE XF era vented rears