Server maintenance Read more... ×
Neoblazer

Tyre Recommendation

Hi Guys/Girls 

I am chasing tyre recommendation don't mind paying for quality I am currently running cheap Dunlops I want to get better grip and tyre life this set is good for 40k hoping to get something with 80k life span (normal driving conditions) I was thinking around the 400ea mark being my budget to work with. So what are your opinions and how have you found the brands you have used.

What size ?

At $1600.00 per set I would imagine 80,000 kms easy.

Do you cant grip /performance or distance /comfort ?

I have just ended a 90,000 km lifespan on Bridgestone turanza's.

They are $250 ea in 17 inch.

Better grip means softer rubber, therefore wears faster. 

Which car you gonna put them on, and what size? Some cars dont "like" Bridgestone's, others don't "like" Dunlops. My FC LTD loved the old Dunlop A4's, but when I put a set of Bridgie Potenza's on her, she squirmed all over the road. 

XH i am looking at 16-17 my preference would be 16 but have seen a few nice 17 sets I've considered, I am looking at a stiffer suspension set up to see if that helps (still using the originals from new and there getting abit soft) wouldn't mind finding a decent set that gives a better performance overall if thats possible (this car will be a show car once i can buy a new ute for work purposes)

XH i am looking at 16-17 my preference would be 16 but have seen a few nice 17 sets I've considered, I am looking at a stiffer suspension set up to see if that helps (still using the originals from new and there getting abit soft) wouldn't mind finding a decent set that gives a better performance overall if thats possible (this car will be a show car once i can buy a new ute for work purposes)

Performance as in grip? or performance as in life span? 

Its rare to find a tyre that will do both really well. 

you need to look at how many kms a year you do? because there is usually a point where the tyres will go hard and be as good, because they have been on the car for longer than it has taken to wear the tread out. 

Im currently finding this on my XF. I'm running Yokohama C Drive 2s, in 225/60R15,which are a softer, grippier tyre, about over $200 a corner, they have been on there for 3.5 years, and still have a bit tread left on them, but because i dont do a lot of kms in the car, they are going hard, and i feel it when i drive the car, they dont feel as good on the road anymore, even though they have a fair bit of tread left on them, maybe another 10,000km. 

i guess what I'm getting at is, if your not going to do 80-90,000km in 2-3 years, your going to be wasting your money on tyres with that sort of life spawn. 

I mean performance as in grip(i did mean to write that didn't have coffee this morning) i do an average of 25-30k a year between business and personal driving so will get the use but i figure if i can atleast get 40-50km and have Superior grip I would be happy with that to but would be nice to get longer if its possible. 

In that case, i would recommend the Yokohamas. as mentioned above i have them on my XF in a wider size, and been really happy with them, but like i said are beginning to wear out because of age, not use. 

Or on my other car, I have continentals, ContiContact MC5s, in an 18". So far so good. they are a mix of performance and touring tyre, super grippy, and after about 20,000km, have barely worn. This is my daily, where i do mostly FWY driving, and i average about 25-30,000km a year. so at the 12 month mark it will be to see how they are going. 

30k per year and happy with 50 k life.

So in less than 2 years a  new set will be  required.

So it sounds like you are defiantly looking for gripping tyre yeah ?

I just re-read that Neo, you would want something with longer life if your doing those kms. If i remember correctly, the continentals had a 60,000km guarentee on them. So for me i should get 2+ years out of them

I do want gripper tires I would settle for grippy tires if they last 50k because I only plan on using it a business car for the next 2 yrs then want it to be a show car and i drive like a grandma so don't general abuse my tires unless I have too to avoid being hit I love my XH  I've owned an EL and a AU but this car is my favourite so far appreciate  the info so far and have been looking up some of the reviews and feed back on them 

Interesting thread, Subbed.

I'm using Maxis MA-P1's as a cheap grippy tire. not sure on the km.. maby 40-50,000km? But really, by the time i've worn em out I can get 4 new tires and a wheel alignment for $400 and i don't have to worry about spearing off the road in the wet due to some old hard "high km" tires. Plus, it's still only $800 for 100,000km worth of tire and 2 wheel alignments.

Those prices are for my Corsair and Integra though, looking at double that by the time to get to 17" rims
https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/brands/maxxis/ma-p1

It's good to hear what rubber people are using.

Interesting reading lads, I'm looking for some recommendations for a decent alignment joint, I need new tyres on the Mrs Impreza. I got 75000 out of original Dunlop tyres and will only get about 40000 out of this set as the beaurepairs alignment has taken the inside off all 4 tyres

Ando

Not sure where you live.

I just had my Turanzas replaced with Toyo's at Resevoir Tyrepower.

Set of 4 tyres and 4 wheel alignment $630.00.

I had my eyes set on the Turanzas given the life span.Best tyres ive had in 30 years of driving.

They had 3 for 4 offer going the month before  (March) but offered the toyo's to  me on the 17th April.  For the same deal.

I cant praise them enough. Honest knowledge, transparent, no bullshit.One of the owners is a petrol head.

The front end alignment is spot on.

Cheers mate, I wondered about trying a tyrepower store as my cousin used to work in one in Gippsland and he said he often had to take extra care to get alignments correct after big tyre shops had stuffed up alignments previously. I'm near Shepparton but would travel to get good results

Hey guys, just looking at tyres for the XG outback ute.

I just wanted to know if 235/75R15 tyres will be OK on my steel stockies.

Rims are EA DA-DA. Running and have run 225 no problem.

It's just there is a special on them but only that width, no smaller.

Cheers guys.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

If its an xh get some of those sunraysias and the light truck tyres on them as fitted to the one tonne utes.  That will give you max life but it will be complete utter shit to drive.  Especially if you go a 14 ply MRF or similar.  Drove a cruiser on those and it was fucking scary but could drive over fire, satan, and eric cartoon without a sweat.

My votes on tyres

Goodyear eagle ga's - fucking shit, soft shoulders and my sole chopped em out easy as.

Falken - were great on my eb, but that car would chew the shoulders.  It was best on Kumhos actually.

The xf is on kuhmos had  good run with those.  The xf also chews the outer edge, but been playing with the alignment a lot on that and its paying results.

Golf is on michelins.  Fuck me put those fuckers on at 95,000 car now has 170 on it.  fucking brilliant if a bit noisy

Toyos the golf had those on it for about 60k those were nice and quiet too.  Id buy another set of those too

Yokohama c drives i had on my mazda and they were brilliant, but the wear was pretty average.  Only got 35,000 on those.

So my summary is:

If you're doing a few miles get a non directional tyre so you can swap em around.

I usually like a non aggressive tyre, with a hard square shoulder and a section which is rubber all the way around.

Open tread usually gives more noise

For falcons I'd look at the kuhmo, or hankooks   they seem to go okay on those.

If its an xh get some of those sunraysias and the light truck tyres on them as fitted to the one tonne utes. That will give you max life but it will be complete utter shit to drive. Especially if you go a 14 ply MRF or similar. Drove a cruiser on those and it was fucking scary but could drive over fire, satan, and eric cartoon without a sweat.

My votes on tyres

Goodyear eagle ga's - fucking shit, soft shoulders and my sole chopped em out easy as.

Falken - were great on my eb, but that car would chew the shoulders. It was best on Kumhos actually.

The xf is on kuhmos had good run with those. The xf also chews the outer edge, but been playing with the alignment a lot on that and its paying results.

Golf is on michelins. Fuck me put those fuckers on at 95,000 car now has 170 on it. fucking brilliant if a bit noisy

Toyos the golf had those on it for about 60k those were nice and quiet too. Id buy another set of those too

Yokohama c drives i had on my mazda and they were brilliant, but the wear was pretty average. Only got 35,000 on those.

So my summary is:

If you're doing a few miles get a non directional tyre so you can swap em around.

I usually like a non aggressive tyre, with a hard square shoulder and a section which is rubber all the way around.

Open tread usually gives more noise

For falcons I'd look at the kuhmo, or hankooks they seem to go okay on those.

Heya Lordi , thanks for the great breakdown on the makes.

Have to agree I like Toyos , Kuhmo do some awesome types.

Yokies are too soft for a long wearing Tyre. ... for short term performance.

I am looking at a set of Dunlop ST Road Grippers.

235/75R15 @ $149 tyre Inc fit and Bal.

Need something good on Highway but can do a Lil rough stuff and have a Lil bit of a chunky off road look.

I love some of the mud types just for the look... but at 250-300+ a tyre it gets a bit excited for a non 4×4.

Hey Jack, are those tyres to suit a 4x4? Those big side walls would probably put your speedo out by a fair whack. I've got 225-70-15 tyres on the rear of my ute and its out 7kms at 100km/h

Yeah, think it had 75's already on it, those old 4×4 tyres.

Now rolling on same as yours 225-70-15. They are just road tyres so ute looks a bit dick being so high.

I'll get speedo checked at some stage..... Cheers mate.

I would like a set of chunky arse Mud Terrain tyres on it to make it look tough but most are a hit on the road and noisy as.

Will keep looking.

Cheers.

Jack.

Oh. And the 235 width should be OK?

I know rears easy but hopefully won't foul on the front.

Sure we used to run 245 on the front of xd/xf no problem. ....

Yeah can't really help ya with the width being that tall, I've got 225-60-15 on my xf sedan that's lowered 2 inches and it's never scraped but those 4x4 tyres are quite tall, fingers crossed they work for ya mate

Hey guys, just looking at tyres for the XG outback ute.

I just wanted to know if 235/75R15 tyres will be OK on my steel stockies.

Rims are EA DA-DA. Running and have run 225 no problem.

It's just there is a special on them but only that width, no smaller.

Cheers guys.

Jack.

What width are your rims?

Would probably avoid 235 if they're any less than 7" wide.

My ute has 7" rims with 235/65R14, no issues with rubbing, do have rolled front guards.

For rego and insurance purposes, ( in SA )  you must the tyres your vehicle came with. If it had commercial tyres, thats what you need.

If you have a prang, and your car isn't running the correct tyre, no pay out.  So many lo-rider Hiluxes and Rodeos getting around Nannalaide......if only they knew.