Server maintenance Read more... ×
Free.51

Sanding /polishing fe Wheels

Started having a play with the fe Wheels today well one of em used 80grit 320grit discs then 400 wd 600wd 800wd 1200wd 2000wd then washed & polished needs more work gotta buy more sanding discs & get my rotary tool back from Cashies so that i can do the lip1dbe2f9adba20822ac069abb9fb78e77.jpgc25437b1314b54ea2b96aa6e09933d21.jpg

I started off with the 320 but it did nothing to get the crap off the face of the rim & had some 80 grit so though what the hey & it got rid of the stains/imperfections Needs a bit more work but theres no turning back now will look good when i finish it then have to do 3 more.

Most of the shit on them is clearcoat isn't it? It is if it's the same as EB Fairmont wheels. I done a set a few years back, paint stripper removes the clearcoat perfectly, polishing them up after that was easy, i never went through the process you have and they came up awesome!

Get one of those polishing kits from Bunnings/Supercheap.... Attaches to the drill and comes with a course wheel and compound and fine wheel and compound. The Jelly beans I did had been sitting outside for years and they came up a treat.

Not a great pic but came up OK

20141219_130632_zps31c7529c.jpg

Started having a play with the fe Wheels today well one of em used 80grit 320grit discs then 400 wd 600wd 800wd 1200wd 2000wd then washed & polished needs more work gotta buy more sanding discs & get my rotary tool back from Cashies so that i can do the lip1dbe2f9adba20822ac069abb9fb78e77.jpgc25437b1314b54ea2b96aa6e09933d21.jpg

You should rip those wheel weights off and get them rebalanced with the internal weights.

I was thinking the exact same thing but only cos the paint stripper i had in the tin leaked into the grey area overnight oh well shit happens.

Got a can of spray on paint stripper today & a polishing kit from Supercheap its starting to look pretty good not 100% perfect but hat 80grit really fucked the wheel silly me but it looks heaps better than before, ill put up pix after.

Heres what the wheel looks like after todays effort, tomorrow i will give it a bit more of polish then scuff the grey area then prime/ paint satin blk then put it back on the car & start on the others

This motospray paint stripper is good shit better than that messy red crap in the tin613c3812f600187ba82161d187570ece.jpg6435fc8ea912dcd2126c3defc0a6fdc7.jpg05185f4f86524a8560b49cac0ea77969.jpg

Look to be coming up really good mate, well done!

When i done mine i used my finger in a rag to carefully put the paint-stripper on near the edges.

Glad the stripper worked for you.

The JOSCO buff pads from Bunnings are great for buffing wheels, try to find the three stage polishing kit, it has 3 different wheels and 3 polishes, black, red and white.

Look to be coming up really good mate, well done!

When i done mine i used my finger in a rag to carefully put the paint-stripper on near the edges.

Glad the stripper worked for you.

The JOSCO buff pads from Bunnings are great for buffing wheels, try to find the three stage polishing kit, it has 3 different wheels and 3 polishes, black, red and white.

i got the 3 stage sca kit from supercheap

I did a thread like this but with water sandblasting and was pretty chuffed at the results. After blasting I stuck the wheel on my car when it was jacked up and spun it in 1st gear holding a bit of 1000 grit against the rim (didn't do the spokes as they're snowflakes) came up a treat.

I'd like to see those rims when fitted to a car... Would be a very different look.

i got the 3 stage sca kit from supercheap

Ahh, that's actually the one i meant sorry, i got the 3 stage kit from Supercheap, great little kit) i get the JOSCO pads from Bunnings. The polish bars in the Supercheap kit can be bought in much larger bars from JOSCO (the black, red and white) if you run out.

If it has clear coat, treat it like paintwork ie no scrubbing, just wipe down with a soapy sponge. Shouldn't get too much brake dust on them cause those slots are blind holes right?