Server maintenance Read more... ×
Panko

Spark plugs

Also interested to hear what people run. My ones a very high comp street motor that builds up a lot of cylinder temp especially after long drives/warm weather/idling for too long. Occasionally would 'run on' in these conditions with BP5's. I have now moved on to BP7's but haven't had enough seat time to test whether they foul up or have fixed the issue. I run on Premium unleaded (occasionally i octane boost it to 100). 

I know that the general rule of thumb is 1 range colder for every 75hp-100hp they say, however I've always leaned towards the alternative theory that it should be based off compression ratio. 

NGKBP9ES for high comp meth engines

NGKBP7ES 8 for high comp petrol.

NGKBP6ES for my interim shop ute that runs a better 2 barrel intake, 350 Holley and extractors.

Ok cool.

I need to replace mine, im still running NGK R (cant remember exact part number) for lpg, and i removed the gas 18 months ago. Its a stock efi crossy, extractors, manual. Just want something that will perform properly

I use Bosch units , they cost a bit extra . I had a heap of ngk plugs fail for no apparent reason . Had no troubles with the Bosch ones

What bosch plugs? Part numbers? I looked up bosch, ngk and champion part numbers, so will be interesting to see what bosch units you run.

Bosch WR7DC+ , for me . With aftermarket ignition systems you don't need a resistor type plug . But I got them for reliability

I have had two dead NGK's out of the box, one in the falcon one in the Rangie, will probably not use them again, the one on the Rangie was completely dead and the damn thing was running pretty ok on 7 cyl, but since I have it a plenum clean etc. I thought the ecu needs time, it didn't get better so after about 2 months I had a look and yeah one dead plug, changed it with  the old one, Bosch, and all good

I have had two dead NGK's out of the box, one in the falcon one in the Rangie, will probably not use them again, the one on the Rangie was completely dead and the damn thing was running pretty ok on 7 cyl, but since I have it a plenum clean etc. I thought the ecu needs time, it didn't get better so after about 2 months I had a look and yeah one dead plug, changed it with  the old one, Bosch, and all good

That's disappointing, I've had a pretty flawless run with NGKs up until now. Not a Crossy but I've run BP4FS in my clevo and were pretty good but the MSD chews them out pretty quickly. I ran BP6FS previous to that but they fouled in a short time (too cold). I think the optimum is 5s.

Although recently, I did encounter a head-scratcher with a Honda sweeper engine on LPG... It would run great for about 30 seconds, start coughing, then die. Start up again, 30 seconds... cough.... die. After rebuilding then replacing the converter, stuffing around with everything else, I finally just shoved in a spare (wrong) plug I had lying around and suddenly it ran like a clock. It was the bloody spark plug all along. It was a BPR5ES and I smashed it apart to see what the go was inside and found the resistor (a little carbon pellet) looked a bit broken down and corroded. So this could be a problem with NGK resistor plugs in that regard.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk