steveheffo

changing gas converter

Hello I need to change my gas converter I was wondering do i need to decant the tanks before I disconnect the gas line from the converter or do the tank solenoids prevent the gas flow .... btw the battery and wiring is out of the car........ thanks Steve  

Should be a shut of tap on the tank in line with the gas line.

^This

If its a common brand of tank, there will be a service panel cover, which will be secured by 2 nuts or similar, take that off, You then should be able to see, amongst other things, a brass? looking knob, or tap. Turn that fully clockwise and that should cutoff gas supply from the tank. 

Tanks do not need to be decanted to change a converter, just cut off the gas supply as described above.

Yeah mate as said there'll be a shut-off at the tank but just keep in mind that line to the converter will have gas in it under pressure, you might want to cover the fitting with a rag when undoing it so you don't get sprayed in the face

Hi everyone, Thanks so much for your replies . Bit of backround on what i am doing I had a au 1 trayback it was white anyway I have completely dismantled it and painted it metallic gunmetal grey I put in a mew dedicated gas motor and gearbox, then I bought a series 2 ghia and put the front end in then I installed the climate control and all the woodgrain dash etc( basically the complete ghia interior) had it all finished but then discovered I had to change the wiring looms to the series 2 apparantly the pinouts are  not exactly the same so I had to dismantle it and start again :(((((((  Does anybody know what I do about the abs brakes my car didn't have them orginally but will i need to put them in so the computer sees them (not sure here I am a builder not a mechanic lol) anyway it will be worth it it looks like a show car Thanks again everyone ........ Steve

Make sure when you reconnect the LPG lines they are leak free....

Put some dish washing detergent in a spray bottle with some water and spray on the connections you have done... if it leaks it will bubble.

No worries mate I have a gas fitters lpg licence we are builders and plumbers lol but iI  really appreciate your concern. BTW did you read my earlier question about the abs system  do you have any thoughts ? Thanks again Regards Steve

If you did the whole loom into the car, then the plugs should be there to put the sensors in... just need to change the front hubs. Not sure on the rear wether the tone wheels are on the axle or not....

yes i do have the correct hubs i put them in from the ghia so i guess i just need to get the brake lines etc and the module or do i just plug in the sensors and forget the rest this is difficiult as I am a builder not a mechanic lol thanks mate regards steve