Server maintenance Read more... ×
user272

FGX ignition barrel wont go back in.

Hey guys, Following ignition issues with the FGX and visits to 2 ford dealers who wouldnt touch it cos its saturday I had a look at it myself as the car is needed on Monday. I removed the barrel and ignition switch, cleaned out the barrel (no dismantling just air and graphite) went to put it back in position finding that the little connecting piece in the center seemed to have dislodged somehow, it doesnt feel tight at all but has only tiny movement in either direction and isnt allowing the barrel to slot into place or turn it.

Anyone else tried this method of immobilising their vehicle and how did you fix it?

preferably answers relating to more modern cars.

Thanks guys.

I know with ba and bf once you've removed the barrel you've fucked it and you need to replace the steering column.

Good luck with that.

A good automotive locksmith can rebuild the ignition barrel for you. The BA -BF inherent fault of the ignition barrel back falling apart was rectified in the FG by ford. From memory I think they put some screws in there to hold it together rather than pressing over the end of the housing

Thanks heaps for the replies guys.

This proved to be far to fiddly for me so after hours of trying to make it work, a lot of swearing and the death of an innocent iphone who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time I decided to call upon a lock smithing wizard.

This guy was a fucking genius, he said its an anti theft feature so the car cant be started without the key and then got out some dentist tools to click it back into place.

At first he said the column may need to come out but after a couple of tries he fixed it while in position.

The car still needs to go to Ford about the intermittent starting issue but at least now I wont be getting it towed there.

No more tools on this car, sticking with the XF from now on...

Thanks again guys.

On 4/10/2016 at 10:14 AM, user272 said:

Thanks heaps for the replies guys.

This proved to be far to fiddly for me so after hours of trying to make it work, a lot of swearing and the death of an innocent iphone who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time I decided to call upon a lock smithing wizard.

This guy was a fucking genius, he said its an anti theft feature so the car cant be started without the key and then got out some dentist tools to click it back into place.

At first he said the column may need to come out but after a couple of tries he fixed it while in position.

The car still needs to go to Ford about the intermittent starting issue but at least now I wont be getting it towed there.

No more tools on this car, sticking with the XF from now on...

Thanks again guys.

Hey mate, I have the same issues, exactly like yours. Can you please give me the details of the person who fixed for you? How much did you pay? I'm here in melbourne.. Thanks 

Of course he will!

just a few days late is all

On 1/24/2020 at 12:29 PM, Abela said:

Hey mate, I have the same issues, exactly like yours. Can you please give me the details of the person who fixed for you? How much did you pay? I'm here in melbourne.. Thanks 

I’ll pm u his details mate, hopefully you’re already sorted but if not he’s great at what he does.