Panko

Tyre life

Ok guys, so i want to seek other peoples opinions. 

I had a very very close call today in the wagon. its very rare i drive the car in the wet, but when i did today, i noticed at the first round about i came to, that the car was spinning the wheels in 2nd gear, and later discovered that it would also start to slip mid corner in 3rd gear under acceleration. I used to drive the car as a daily, and can not remember it ever having the poke to do that. keeping in mind it has 320,000km on it, stock EFi crossflow and 5 speed.

The close call happened when i was mid corner, on a slow up hill corner, travelling at around 50km/h, as i went to accelerate lightly out of the corner, in 3rd gear i lost control of the back of the car, but somehow managed to save it from nosing into a rock face next to the road. I have never had this happen before in the car, its strangely slippery for it. 

so now I've explained why i am posting this thread, onto the details and question of the tyres. 

The tyres have been on the car for nearly 3.5 years. and have done approximately 40,000km. They still have maybe 2-3mm of tread above the wear markers. they are Yokohama C Drive 2s, in 225/60R15. Its been a long time since I've driven the car in the wet, maybe last winter, but these tyres have always been really good with grip, dry and wet, so why now have they gone to shit? 

Could it be that the compound has just gone hard and no longer grip? 

what tyres do you guys for everyday street driving on your snowflakes? 

My bt 50 ute with new Tyres (3 moths old) stepped out slightly sideways on the eastern freeway in overdrive 5th gear which it has never done any where. Plus popping the ute into little drifts was noticeably Easy today

Yeah i guess it was just extra slippery today, but like i said never known the wagon to be so easy and suddenly uncontrollable. I think what got me was the fact i had zero warning when it really let go. Just went from fine to shitting myself looking at a wall hoping not to hit it.

I find that Korean tyres are awesome and super grippy when you first get them, but after about 2 years they suddenly go off and become like round bits of granite. But that doesn't explain your Yokies, which are traditionally soft and should be quality Japanese still. Could be like everyone said... The roads being all grimy after a long dry spell.

My diesel econovan thing even spun the wheels today.. was slippery after raining for first time in ages(as Ants mentioned)

old tyres with even new tread don't grip as well as they used to either. 2mm above tread wear indicators isnt much in wet weather...

I run Maxxis MA-P1's on my dailys, on my 3rd set of 4 and don't plan on changing any time soon. Good tread and nice n affordable.

https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/brands/maxxis/ma-p1

My 4x4 I use Hankook RF10's, cheap (195 a corner. cheap for a 4x4 tire) with road performance, even in the cold and wet. Quiet too. Not ideal for mudding and rock as they have a soft sidewall but I've done some pretty hectic terrain. I recommend them over anything, even the $350 a corner tires.

I've never really got into tyres. I've got round black ones on the benz. They light up pretty easy and can even hit 80km/h through the roundabout on Newcastle link road (if anyone knows that). I think I paid about $450 for all 4. 255/45r18 on the front and 255/45r18 on the back. Brand is tracmax... Can't see where they're manufactured.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

I love 16" TOYO tyres for use on Falcons, excellent all round tyres, incredible in the wet. Smoke well too.

Everytime i killed one (always right hand rear for some reason) i'd do a rotation and go to the next one until all 4 were dead, i paid for them so i will use them. (i actually got them all for free off commodore cop cars, chewed out on the inside but the rest perfect)

Hi Panko,

Mostly conditions can cause anything anytime. I discovered Mastercraft tyres made by Cooper, the 4WD people. 

Transformed my XC wagon. Great dry performance and acceptable in the wet with no surprises. Just put a new set on yesterday after getting around 80,000 k's on the old set, and its heavy going out here on the farm. Link below if you wish to take a look. At my supplier my Mastercraft Touring LSR 215.65.15" 96T's cost me aud$600.00 fitted which is a ripper of a deal considering the comfort of the tyre on the road. Very soft, but precise, on the road 

http://www.mastercrafttires.com.au/index.php/tyres

They might be a solution for your wagon. Check out the company guarantees - and they didn't go off when worn down.

Cheers

I was still spinning the tyres at 80km/h in 3rd leaving work the tuesday in my "other" ute.

then thursday heading to work spun out going around a roundabout when i was just starting to accelarate

had to jam the brakes on as the ute was sliding sldeways towards a sign,

time to f*#k these shit tyres off and get some decent ones.