wagoon

gear selection/gear stick problems

i thawt i read somewhere the early xe 5 speed  was a bit different to the later ones

that 5 speed has the shifter as part of the extension housing (not removable)

it wouldn't surprise me if one of those housings is from a cortina even, i had a heap at one stage(bought several $50 boxes when My 351 was eating them at the time)

it wouldn't surprise me if one of those housings is from a cortina even, i had a heap at one stage(bought several $50 boxes when My 351 was eating them at the time)

Is there a way to find out if its cortina? And I still cant figure out why the shifter I got with the box wont work as it is longer between the bottom of the nut and where the saddle sits?

Is there a way to find out if its cortina? And I still cant figure out why the shifter I got with the box wont work as it is longer between the bottom of the nut and where the saddle sits?

ask the cortina people on here maybe.

it could even be from a leyland P76 or Valiant .. they also ran single rails..

just had a thought, could have even been cut down to get to better thread(which wouldnt work obviously due to height difference)..

i just made one good one out of the 4 or 5 i had(all were different in some way or another, one didnt need a saddle bush at all, metal on metal)

Thanks mate. I had wondered about a different brand of car but didnt know what other cars used single rails.

Looks like I have a bit of digging to do to find out where it came from. Im guessing the shifter housing may be XF as the condition of the housing fits the condition of the box. Im starting to think the gear stick it self is the odd one out. Guess I need to find someone with a known XF setup to confirm 100%

I'd just go to the local scummy suburb and grab a old bike thats left somewhere and raid the shit you need. Don't pay for that bodge mod cos then you will have expectations of it ;)

I'd just go to the local scummy suburb and grab a old bike thats left somewhere and raid the shit you need. Don't pay for that bodge mod cos then you will have expectations of it ;)

Sorry brah but everywhere around where I live is a scummy area and I would have to go to schools and steal shitty beat up crap from kids to get the bearing I need, that's going a little to far in my books.....just a little :P . Instead I went to a local bike shop that sells parts to all the local bogans for their crappy bikes and I paid $9.95 for a complete bearing kit which came with 2 bearing cups. This now means I can repair mine and have one as a backup.

Funnily enough the bike shop dude must have thought he was onto a winner as he made sure I knew he had a heap of stock of these bearing kitsa as I'm guessing he thinks I will be in over and over again to buy the bearing kit.

Oh yes it is scummy in QLD isn't it,sorry I forgot. 1 up side is you get full strength GN's unlike the mid strength which as it turns out is only served down here as CUB see it as competition to there other beer Carlton Dry and I guessing QLDer's don't get or drink Dry ? 

I fail to see why it would be competition when you could have 2 decent beers,well one out standing beer and another OK beer.

Nah it's simple dude, they don't think you can handle the full awesomeness of queensland so they only allow weaker versions for people living in lesser.....sorry southern states :lol: :lol: