Server maintenance Read more... ×
hendrixhc

Hendrixhc's 393 Cleveland Stroker Side Project!

I thought i would start a separate thread for the rebuild of the original numbers Clevo out of Old Lucy.

A bit of a story which ive told before but here it goes again.

When i bought the XC i was told by the bloke i bought it from that the owner had the original numbers engine removed and a crate 351 for queensland installed in the bay. i asked what happened to the original P CODE 302 and was told it got left at the mechanics workshop where the crater was installed and the gas system fitted.

After finding out where that was i rang the place only to be told the engine was loaded on a trailer ready to head to the scrappers. I guaranteed the guy i would be there that afternoon to pick it up so he took it off the trailer and the rest is history.

So i have had this thing sitting on the floor of my shed for the past 2 years and ive finally decided to do something with it.

exhaustday%202_zpsn7eix2vm.jpg

Now i could do a quick rebuild as a 302 to remain factory but what fun would that be so i have decided a 393 stroker would be a bit more fun and bythe time its finished ill probably be ready for retirement!

The idea will be to use most of the good bits off the 351 eg Ice ignition, and chromey bits but get some other fun bits as well. Prolly stick with the toploader.

I havent really decided on any components in particular but the bottom end will be Scat crank for sure and a lot of other good bits without Pro or Comp in the name.

Now if i ever get a panelvan the current 351 will end up in that.

So there might not be many update for this thread for a while but as time and money permits or if i find some interesting info on building the stroker ill add it in!

Not sure on the alloy heads. TBH they are rather expensive and i could get a set of casties done up for less. The ones on Ephie were only $1500 ported and polished with oversized stainless manley valves, crane springs and retainers and machined for roller rockers.

Id like to say the 450 - 550hp bracket.

Ill have to do a lot of research and questioning on the right combos to go for./ Not real schooled up on that yet.

Style of engine should lend nicely to some Aeroflow goodness and the odd polished item!

What bracket is that on the motor,or is that a custom made one just for lifting the donk around ?

Yeah its a cheap shitty engine leveler. I wouldnt recommend getting one like that as the lifting hooks bent under the weight of the clevo and the handle for cranking the levelling device bent as did the thread started stripping.

I dont believe it to be safe.

I bought another one to lift the clevo and trans into the Xc and it was much stronger and easier to use.

Yeah and 2 years ago and 1,700 posts ago in your XC thread you said you were only going to cosmetically alter it and just drive it...

I...i...i..i.um did i? I dont recall 

This goes without saying where your concerned James...

Only problem with porting and polishing heads is you cant see the shiney bits on the inside!

Ah sorry. My bad.

TBH i hadnt even taken any notice of the bracket. Ill have a look at it on the weekend, see if i can see what it is.

First job for me today was to get the spare engine off the floor and up on ti the stand.

Its basically sat there for 2 years since i got it sop it will be good to get it out the way. Specially since it wont be long now til the XE will be up and running !  :D

So i chucked it on the stand and found a crank bolt and decided to spin it over to see if it was seized.

on%20stand_zpseg7hsrbk.jpg

Turned over nicely although a little hard with compression.

I took the plugs out and she spins freely. Stuck the finger in to number one plug hole and she sucked and blew like a teenage girl on prom night!

Makes me wonder if it was clean up and fired up whether she be a runner.

I then pushed it in to the back off the shed out of the way so i dont get distracted from the main task!