xwroo

diff shortening

Ok so I've decided on my wheels finally I'll be running centreline retro wheels 15x10 rears with 5" backspace. But now I would like them to be deep dish what does that mean backspace wise, will going deep dish mean the backspace will change? The backspaces available are 3.5",4" and 5". Any help is good...

Cheers.

Each end 50mm. I did mine 75mm each end and I can run pretty much a 15x8 all the way to a 15x12 with the right BS. But I like tyre footprint and tuck over dish so prob not right guy to advise here :)

Is that 2'' each side or overall?

Yes . As sly says 2 " each side .  I have done an XW with 10" welds and 5.5 back space . at that the tyres were as close as you'd want to the springs . So with a 3.5" back space you'd need 2" off each side of the diff housing to end up with the wheels in the same spot . Any more i Think they'd be hitting the leafs ? 

Yes . As sly says 2 " each side .  I have done an XW with 10" welds and 5.5 back space . at that the tyres were as close as you'd want to the springs . So with a 3.5" back space you'd need 2" off each side of the diff housing to end up with the wheels in the same spot . Any more i Think they'd be hitting the leafs ?

Taking 2" off each side, will that effect the spring mounting pads at all? Will I be able to take that much off the xd diff?

It'll make no difference whatsoever to the spring mounting pads. You are only taking 50mm off the end of the diff. 

These are welded to the end of your diff, grind the weld off to get them out, cut 50mm off the end of the diff and weld them back on:

Screenshot_2015-12-16-13-17-29.png

Of course when you go to put your axles back in they will be 50mm too long, so have them cut 50mm and the splines extended 50mm.

I've never done it before but that's what i make of it, unless you're mini tubbing?

I took 75mm off each side and my spring platforms are still in the stock place untouched.

Is you ute still setup so it can go back to leafs?

Is you ute still setup so it can go back to leafs?

Front mounts are still there and I'd have to add/fab some rear hangers but yes it is.Just kept my options open for maybe a 9" or if I had to re-vert the car back to leaves and so on.

The wheels should be here today or tomorrow. I'll chuck them on the xw with the standard diff in to see how far they come and I'll go from there with the xd diff that's going in.

Haha so change of direction, I spoke to the guys at Aussie diffs and the direction they suggested is cause I'm not using the car for burnouts or drag racing, is that I just stick with the diff that's in the xw now and put the lsd out of the xd diff on in the xw, shorten the diff if necessary and just run drum brakes for the time being.

I do a lof of borgys for cortys and made a jig its just 4 machined up dies that fit into the housing 2 in the center and 2 on each drop saw the ends fit the dies in and stick a tube up the guts to line it up and weld it back together

I charge $1000 to do a case and axles or $800 more with strange axles  

id love to see this jig

i have to shorten a ba turbo ute diff eventually