Server maintenance Read more... ×

Yo yo yooo,

How's everyone going?

Okay so here is the go, Got my Falcon running pretty nice, I recently did a electronic conversion with MSD box and TFI dizzy. I finally got a graph that she likes and shes running pretty well, of course I ran into a problem the mechanical fuel pump just wasn't cutting it, so i've got a small electric one running inline witht he mechanical and that issue is fixed. The final thing i have to do is possibly change the cam on the accelerator, because she bogs out when you flat foot it from idle or even cruising.

Anyway, shes sounding awesome, once out of bog, BAM, she just launches, you just watch the speed go up and up, the engine revving to 5500rpm, and bam shift. Now this is great and all except one part, the exhuast, when you are flooring it, it sounds amazing, its a 2 1/4 inch straight pipe, with a small "sports muffler", it has PaceMaker Extractors which have been wrapped from the head all the way down. Now my problem is I want to refine the exhuast system, make it loud but nice, get rid of the drone when idling and curising, and the ugly frequencies you hear when you aren't hammering it.

Now of course, anything I do will make it a tad softer, but I don't want to make it too soft, I love it loud, just want refined. I'll make an example, take a modern commodore, now factoring out the fancy exhaust flaps and stuff, I want ot be able ot cruisie around in a nice burble and hum, and when I floor it, its as if the entire exhuast has just opened and the demons of hell are all yelling at the same time.

Now there has to be a way to gain what i want, I am more then happy If i have to weld in a flap system, to redirect exhaust notes, into a soft muffler and and then into the louder one. What about running resonator?? Like throw me all the ideas guys, it can be out of this world I don't care, I will consider it, I love different and challenging, as well as aweosme.

Hope to hear what you all got.

thanks,

Harry

Sounds like it needs PV/squirter/jetting tuning as a bog on throttle input is usually a lean spot in the fuel curve. 

As for the exhaust thats a tuff 1 as mostly exhausts are a personal feeling thing. Like I like how mine sounds but I bet many don't.

If you are revving it to 5500 and it's making power there I'd suggest the 2-1/4 is too small so a step up to 2.5" or even 3" would be my first point of modification.Problem is you need enough engine to warrant the extra size and rid the drone.Mine has a twin 2.5" and there is ZERO drone as it has 12.1 comp and ALOT of engine backing it up.

All that said I'd try a Aero chamber muffler as far back on the car as possible. Like if you can fit it right back @ the rear bumper put it there and that WILL rid alot of drone issue's.   

I'm with Rob. Bigger pipe required. If you have plans on upgrading the engine go to 3" now. Hooker aero chamber or Flowmaster 40 series in the factory location and a Moroso spiral flow resonator in the rear 1/4 area.

As Rob has alluded to exhaust is such a personal thing. I have used the above combination on a number of vehicles and everyone seems to love it.

On the vtec mini and Gavin's 450rwhp,1.8l turbo 20 valve head, Corolla I switched the resonator and muffler location around due to space limitations. Both cars sounded horn. Just above normal sound at idle and cruise (enough to prick your interest) and then they come alive as the boot travels to the floor.

Your carb problem could be either lean or rich, depending on current pv sizing, jetting, pump cam and squirters. I suggest YouTube Holley tuning tips. Holley actually have some great tuning videos on there which are a great help.

Good luck

Alrightyyy, thanks for your wise words guys/girls.

​Look at the current moment the engine isn't making MASSIVE power, it has about 120kw at the wheels, and I have a massive engine upgrade in progress, so I'm not going to upgrade the size of the exhuast as I just got it made. So thanks for the input slydog and ando76, but that option wil lbe done at a later stage in the cars life.

Nah, I am not going to go bi-modal, the noise isn't the issue, just the drone at idle and like cruising, I can talk in the cabin without raising my voice, but that drone slowly gives you a headache without you realising.

So i have noticed a few of you have mentioned putting the resonator at the rear?? Whats the difference between the rear and just after the extractors?? Like what difference does it have on the exhuast note??

I have a muffler at the original positing, but its real tiny, which doesn't bother me, I love the noise when you boot it, its just the drone as I said. However, the muffler is just a no brand muffler, I was looking at something like a magnaflow muffler, or a nice quality muffler of that sort, if I chose the right one, will I be able to keep my loudness or near it, but kinda refine the exhaust note and clean it up??

Thanks all for your inputs so far,

Harry

As said above. Chambered muffler like a hooker aero or flowmaster. I wouldn't use delta flow. Resonator position doesn't matter in my experience, as I said above.

Small diameter pipe will always have a tinny annoying noise on any engine above stock without a resonator of some form.

On my daily driven xe wagon with bog stock 200ci Ive got generic extractors, 2 1/4 mid pipe with some lukey muffler in the rear position. Then I have 2 inch standard wagon rear pipe with no muffler or resenator. Doesnt drone to bad cause I recon the engine is bog stock. The setup is less than ideal but it cost my $50 for the extractors and the mid pipe was from a ute I was stripping.

Heres a clip of the above exhaust on my wagon http://vid1289.photobucket.com/albums/b507/wagoon1/xe%20wagon/20150623_145018_zpsct8bluls.mp4

Im also building a crossflow powered sedan that I will be using a single muffler in the rear position and a moroso spiral flow at the rear of the car. The engine will make a bit of power so pipe size is a little different but Im still stepping down in pipe diameter from the diff backwards. I was told that ford did this step down in size on a car (cant remember which one) and it helped the sound so thought its worth a try. Seems to have done ok on my wagon with only 1 muffler which can sound like arse sometimes.