Harrison Kotrolos

Leaking Doors and Front Passenger Well (Falcon XC Sedan)

Hey everyone,

I am back here again in need of your endless knowldege.

I have a Falcon XC sedan 1977, the car is so close ot being done and smick, but badluck is always around the corner.

I was away for a week, and we had this massive rain in Sydney, I got back today and went to take my car for a ride, and bam there is water in the passenger well and rear passenger side seat.

Now I don't have photos of yet, but I will get some as soon as possible.

However, my first investigation has lead me to this:

The rear seat leak is happening from the water leaking down the drip gutter, onto the door and running down the back door. However, it runs behind the door seal and then runs down to the chrome door step and basically it builds up behind the rubber seal and pools into the car. On top of that, the water runs down into the door through the glass, because old cars don't seal perfectly, and then the door drains basically drain this water into the same area, but it can't escape and it pools over again.

Now the front leak is more difficult, I have noticed two things, I have a speaker in the front panel there at your feet, and what I have noticed is slight water running down that inner pillar, because there are water marks on the speaker. On top of that, I think the water is coming in from under the front guard, and leaking into the cabin, I had a similar issue on the drivers side, and I used metal putty and paint to cover this hole basically because the car isn't welded together perfectly from factory, where water was leaking in from under the guard.

Now basically my question is, are these normal faults? Are they common? With the door one, could I be possible the doors are not aligned properly?

Basically any help would be great.

thankyou all,

Will post pictures soon

Harry

Aaaah yes, the dreaded plenum leak, the bane of all XA/B/C cars.........99.9% sure thats where you're problem is.

Leaves, mud, dirt, wasps, cigarette butts all hit the windscreen and fall down through the vent just behind the bonnet. Over time this builds up, stays wet, and rusts out. Remove a front guard, and have a look behind it. There will probably be a hole into the front foot well, behind the speaker. Not unfixable, but depends how much time and energy you want to spend.

Not sure about the rear door, sounds a little odd.? Drain holes in the door should allow water to drip out onto the road. These do fill up with crud, (like above ^)

But a quick poke with a phillips screwdriver should clean them out.

Cue Unfamilia.....