Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
LJDB

Tips and tricks to help hook up

On the street, I've tried easying it off the line but as soon and I get on it, it starts to spin and 1st to 2nd pretty bad also. Iv got pretty shit 205/60/15 atm and plan to just increase size until it tight under the guard. Iv fitted std 28 spline axles and my rear wheel offset isn't the greatest. I running 15x8 I think but it's close to the outer guard already. Scraps slightly over bumps with full car load althought I generally don't have people in the back. Sick of losing to shitheaps cos I can't get it off the line.

What about higher diff gears? What diff gears are you running now?

Also if you do have 205 60 15 tyres on 8 inch rims that tyres will be very stretched. Even on a 7 inch rim a 205 tyre is less than ideal for traction as you will have no side wall give. If you want to stay in the smaller tyre size you could look at a true R compound tyre. You can get them in 205,215 and 225 widths in a 15 inch and they have a bit of side wall to help with traction. Only problem is they are $300+ a tyre, dont know how that price compares to the straight line tyres.

If the R compound is to expensive you could look at semi slicks. Semi slicks are all road legal(some R compund tyres are not road legal but some are) have a bit harder compound compared to the true R compound and therefore last longer. They do have less traction than the R spec but road driving will rip the R spec tyres up pretty quick. Semi slicks are much cheaper, depending on size and brand they start at $130 a tyre. Federal have a good rep and I know a few people that use them for track(circuit sprint) days. I will be starting with federal tyres myself when I go racing. Look on ebay in the tyre size you want to run for a general pricing and brand guide.

If running an MSD programmable, they have a step retard function, which can be switched by the gear selector to trigger in 1st gear to soften the launch. You could switch it separately but things might get a bit busy if you're already fighting it down the track.

The 205/60/15 has a fair sidewall and isn't stretched by any means. im pretty sure I ordered 15x8's on the rear to try and get some dish. I don't have a programmable msd and wish I did. At the time I got the streetfire the $ was good. I'm also running 3.7s and for the street they are heaps better than the 3.45 I had in with the 510 camtech. Trying to get the best of both worlds

fit a set of 2.9s the engine will pull them as the car weighs nothing

3.7s in a car that light will just be a tyrer fryer I did this for street racing years ago and you can maker the engine drag itself down that it will not blow the tyres away chrises beacon does the same thing yours does you can stand on it at 60 and it will just stand up and go sidways is it fun? yes will a pushbike arse hand it yes.

the 510 camtech is not super big it will still have heaps of lower end power just if you rave feed the clutch out at 2500 3000rpm and jump on it

Agree with Pro that 3.7 gears will just fry tyres. On a street car 3.7's are only good for underpowered car(torque multiplication makes the car accelerate faster) frying tyres and revving the shit out of you engine at 80+km/h.

Just cause a tyre has side wall does not mean it will get traction, the really important part is the amount of flex in the sidewall. Look at drag slicks in slow motion vids on youtube and you will see sidewall flex. A 205 tyres on an 8 inch rim will not have side wall flex.