sam0044

HELP NEEDED! Auto xf falcon stalling

Hey all, so lately my 86 xf falcon has begun stalling it is a 3 speed auto carby. The stalling happens irregularly. Sometimes I can't even idle without stalling other times it's when I put it in gear, it has an auto Choke as well any help would be greatly appreciated!<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vacuum leak - Option A

Not sure on the details of XF vacuum lines but check for leaks in all. At that age vacuum hoses could be cracked or plastic joiners failing. If there is a leak it can really affect the idle & running of a crossy sometimes. 

Fuel starvation

It could also be the fuel filter. Probably find it about half way along on the passenger side behind the sill. Locate, remove & replace.

From factory, XF's only have a filter sock on the end of the tank pickup,

and a tiny gauze sleeve in the carby behind the hard-line inlet fitting.

Anything else, is either dealer fitted, or aftermarket.

(not sure on EFI crossflows)

what revs does it idle at? Does it idle smooth or is it rough as guts?

When my carb setup used to play up like that it was usually the brass plug/corrector jet on the passengers side of the carb fouled up with crap from somewhere.

I'd be checking that first. While you are in the carb area, as dave said check the filter on the fuel in side of the carb. 

And also look for split or loose vacuum connections on the carb itself. Always a bother those things.