Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ando81

Stripped rocker arm bolt

I knew at that very moment and thought to myself "I really am failing at life"

Nah dude you were being more environmentally responsible than the prius owner as you were trying to conserve fuel that's why the prius drove away from you. So you have the moral win over the prius owner, on top of you saving fuel they have many batteries and electrical components that were made in china then shipped to butt-fuck-nowhere to be assembled to make the pussbox that is the pruis. That requires more carbon's be pumped into the atmosphere than your 30 year old gas guzzler which is well beyond carbon neutral by now.

A win is a win and it doesn't matter by how much, all that matter's is that YOU WON.

Well I've got the fresh engine in and let's say it's not going to be left behind by and Prius shit boxes now. I've only roughly tuned it coz I only have a cheap timing light so can't tell how far advanced my timing is but it seems really happy where I've got it. Just have to get some kms on the clock and get a good tune before I give it too much of a workout.

I'm still not too keen on this head with the repaired rocker arm thread bolt so bought a hf-6 head off eBay that has been refurbished for gas. Not really good pics but can anyone give me opinions on the looks of the chamber. b7fd8f9314c0f622c080065702f8c6ba.jpg357a53b0a10c6ed8eb8de1604ed392c0.jpg

I've thought about it Dave but I'll leave it as it is now, it has to be an improvement. Worst experience today in my ute as a Prius pulled away from me going up a hill , it's definitely time for more grunt and time to get rid of the crap ring type gas mixer.

If this happens again hand in your man card and buy a barina. The chamber looks open, so with a carby bottom end I suspect it's going to be low compression city.

Could be wrong...

It's looking like I won't need to buy a Barina just yet, the new cam and 8cc dished pistons have made it a lot more responsive and it's obviously breathing a lot better coz it has got a louder exhaust note. I don't want to go lower compression so maybe the head isn't going to be much good to me. I liked it because it's been recoed for gas and I thought if it's had flow improved inside the head then it may improve torque.

Nothing wrong with helicoils. I have ripped 3 rockers out a xflow head at different times doing burnouts. Used helicoils to repair it. Never ripped out 1 repaired with a helicoil.

Just helicoil it.

I've repaired the thread with a helicoil already but as I tapped one of the threads I noticed the new thread on one of the rocker mounts was very ugly asif I hadn't used enough cutting compound on the tap. It looked like every third thread had been chewed up as I put the tap into the hole. It seems to be holding together almost 1000km since the repair but I've been paranoid of going on any long trips in case it lets go.

I'm still not too keen on this head with the repaired rocker arm thread bolt so bought a hf-6 head off eBay that has been refurbished for gas. Not really good pics but can anyone give me opinions on the looks of the chamber. b7fd8f9314c0f622c080065702f8c6ba.jpg357a53b0a10c6ed8eb8de1604ed392c0.jpg

FYI been prepped for gas means a standard alloy xflow cyl head. Every alloy head is ready for unleaded or gas as they come standard with hardened seats from the factory. 

Cheers Sly, I reckon someone had told me that a while ago. I liked it because it's had a lot of work done to improve flow, looks like the valves are standard size but all valves, springs, seats and collets look new. It's only done 2000km before the cam gear and dizzy gear got chewed up. I thought maybe a high volume oil pump and poor run in procedure might have done it.

Well fellas I was worried that this day would come. I went for a drive on the weekend and I think the head thread repair has let me down. I drove 25kms and slowed down to turn into a driveway and changed down to second gear and the old girl started to run rough and tick at idle. It's definitely running on 5 cylinders so I suspect that the thread has pulled out of the head and therefore not opening the valves on that cylinder. Will have to use the inspection camera to see if it's the problem but doesn't look like a quick fix. Might have to put that other head on after all. I got 12000km out of the helicoil repair that I did

I had a rocker come loose on my brother's old XF, not long after we did a head gasket. Those bolts have a fine line between snapping off or not being tight enough. So I popped the cover, re-positioned all the bits, then snugged it down. Drove like a bought one.... until I wrote it off

c4d08c143435f2564e24681b42c00ccb.jpgd63de32cfd936440ee9fab0a64ec2728.jpg so I found this wrong today. The stripped bolt had a straight pushrod and the bent one had a perfectly fine rocker. Anything I should check before I repair the thread for the rocker bolt?

c4d08c143435f2564e24681b42c00ccb.jpgd63de32cfd936440ee9fab0a64ec2728.jpg so I found this wrong today. The stripped bolt had a straight pushrod and the bent one had a perfectly fine rocker. Anything I should check before I repair the thread for the rocker bolt?