Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ando81

Stripped rocker arm bolt

Jeez they really don't have much meat to screw into. Could you drill a tad deeper for more thread, and use a longer bolt? I did a similar thing on my EF when a rocker shaft bolt stripped out of the head. I just went the next size up in bolt length and it had enough engagement to tighten down. I did have to space it up a tad with a washer or two because the bolt was a bit too long.

wonder if that failed because the bolt was cross threaded into the helicoil.. pushrod might have bent if the rocker fell into its path on the other.
you can get different length helicoils.. was the drill used slightly too big? i remember it being specific and i went and bought a drill bit the correct size for the last ones i did.

Thanks for the help lads. Maybe I was given the wrong drill in the first place with the helicoil as I borrowed it off a mate. The rocker bolt wasn't cross threaded in the hole, just worn from jumping up and down I believe. I've since used a 10mm drill and a 7/16mm tap to cut a new thread. I think the fella called it a thread sert to screw into the new thread and it had 4 small tabs that had to be knocked down once the thread insert had been screwed in tight. All is good so far but it's a bit noisier in the rocker gear but I'm hoping with a bit of running around that it will settle down. I used a secondhand pushrod from another motor that measured the same length but I thought maybe it had slightly more wear on it compared to the old one I removed.

Thanks for the help lads. Maybe I was given the wrong drill in the first place with the helicoil as I borrowed it off a mate. The rocker bolt wasn't cross threaded in the hole, just worn from jumping up and down I believe. I've since used a 10mm drill and a 7/16mm tap to cut a new thread. I think the fella called it a key-sert to screw into the new thread and it had 4 small tabs that had to be knocked down once the thread insert had been screwed in tight. All is good so far but it's a bit noisier in the rocker gear but I'm hoping with a bit of running around that it will settle down. I used a secondhand pushrod from another motor that measured the same length but I thought maybe it had slightly more wear on it compared to the old one I removed.

Good luck mate.
Hope it all comes good.
The tabs dont raise the surface of where the rocker bolts in does it?
Any change in that might account for some extra play.

Crossy On!

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Nice pic, looking at the hole size, a 7/16" hole still fits within the slot..... Makes you wonder why they don't make a pedestal mount rocker for 7/16 studs. Would save a lot of fucking around (ie: machining pedestals, etc.)

So I think I found the reason why I had a bent pushrod on intake number 4. The pcv valve hose goes to the efi intake chamber close to number 4 intake tube and when I pulled it all apart the intake tube was oil soaked. I'm guessing that the motor must be sucking hard enough to draw oil vapour into the intake and maybe the piston was trying to compress the oil vapour and it put extra load on the pushrod. I have since cleaned it all out with petrol and it's been running sweet for about 150kms so far. Maybe the pcv valve is getting a bit sad.

Yeah valves don't care about what goes on in the cylinder once they're closed. When seated, a valve can't move up any more so can't push on the rocker and pushrod. Stock pushrods are poo in both crossys and clevos. I bent one in mine with a rev limit of 5500.