Sign in to follow this  
wookie

XC xflow swap

Hey guys,

So my XC's cast iron crossy finally let its head gasket go and gave me a milkshake, all while im meant to be vacating a rental, im flying home early to put the spare engine into it, which is a alloy head xflow from a XF panel van. Ive got a set of alloy extractors and a alloy pattern redline torker to put my holley on to. Leaving the 3 speed manual in for now since the single rail is at the new house.

Anything i should keep a eye out for? like the fuel pump not working with the xc lines or what not? im guessing its a bolt in job. ill be taking a few pics and doing a write up for it after the fact.

cheers

Cheers for that, ill swap the fuel pumps over, was going to get a new water pump and clutch fan for the engine when i give it a service, i might even have a shroud that may fit for the fan

The XF pump may have a return line to the tank - which'll be a plumbing hassle because the XC tank wont have facility for a return line. There's that....and actually having to fit a return line as well. Re : distributors - late XF engines with EST distributors will be awkward because there's an ECU of sorts and wiring to contend with. Earlier (pre-unleaded) XF engines with have an electronic (point-less) ignition system that you could use...safe bet - as mentioned above is to use the XC one to get it going....

ha what a mess around this job was, couldnt find the flywheel bolts from the alloy head xflow, back end of it is all metric, same flywheel bolts for e series manuals, found all but one of the bolts and had to use a similar high tensile bolt. sent all day driving to wreckers to no avail, by the time we found they were the same as e series bolts the e series wreckers were closed haha, burning the candle at both ends trying to vacate this rental.

its bolted up to gearbox, the extractors are on and i just need to get a gasket for the intake and hook the rest up, 

I put the xc fuel pump onto the newer engine too, rushing a bit, ha the engine bay is going to look like a bit of a mongrel now.

the cast iron dizzy dosnt fit the alloy head block, the shaft seems a tiny bit too long, it fits in the hole but dosnt seem to seat.

the xf dizzy has a port for a 3 pin plug, anyone know how i can wire that one up? might have to go find some of the wiring from a wreckers. the alloy head engine was from a 91 van with a weber and 3 speed manual if that helps anyone, the cast iron dizzy only had one wire going to it.

thanks everyone for the advice hey

Sorry Wookie I should of asked the year of the XF and I could of told you the flywheel bolts were the same as E series.

The dizzy should fit, put them next to each other and have a look, maybe use the oil pump drive shaft from the XC as well.

If its from a 91 model then the dizzy is the est type, better off finding a vac advance one from a xe or early (non unleaded) xf.

Unless you want to stuff around adding the ecu for the spark timing of the late mdoel xf dizzy that is.

all good clevo120y, it was fun haha i learn the things the max power way, which is the wrong way, only faster.

ill see if i can swap the pump drive shafts over, can i do that by taking out the roll pins in the dizzy shaft and swap? if not cheap local tow.while i move

thanks for the push in the right direction slydog!

ive just done a bit of googling on them, found the MSD-6al-2 specs pdf, http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Ignitions/Street/Strip/Digital/6421_-_MSD-6AL-2_Ignition_Control.aspx

one of the wiring examples is for a hall effect trigger distributor [only one with the 3 wires to dizzy i could see], is that what the xf est dizzy is?? spose the 6AL-2 would be over kill on a basically stock engine with a torker, holley and 2 1/2" extractors??

im clueless with this, prob worth me getting them to just wire it up and save on tows.

Yes the est dizzy is a hall effect, rumor is that because of the position of the pickup in the est dizzy that they don't work well with the MSD, I have always used the tfi dizzy from injected xf's with the msd so I can't confirm if the est dizzy is a problem or not.

I don't think it's overkill to use the MSD on you combo, better and multiple spark is always better no matter the combo.

Hmm ill see if google can reveal anything, who dares wins hey :P friend has put me onto a mechanic i could possible harass over the phone for some info.

What MSD CDI's are available to me, can the street-fire be wired up like the 6AL-2? ha trying to thread the needle here with the 2 days left vacating the rental.

Have you tried again to get the XC dizzy to work as that would be your best option given your time restraints.

The street fire also works but as I mentioned earlier the est dizzy may give you grief, if you can go to a wrecker and grab an XF injected tfi dizzy that will take the guess work out of it.

This dizzy thing sparked my interest today so I busted out the verniers and a selection of dizzies.

What I found is that the XC dizzy has a fatter shaft by just under a mm, at just over 13mm. The est dizzy is 12.5mm. The problem lies in the block itself, the guide hole to the oil pump is only 12.5mm in the 84da and the 86da blocks so the XC points dizzy won't fit and you can't swap shafts as it will have too much play in the dizzy housing.

So you either need to get the est system to work or find a tfi dizzy and MSD.

I will start a thread later on with all the things I have looked at today including putting together a TFI dizzy guts into an est dizzy for a build I will start for myself later on.

just a update, ive handed the keys in for the house and got the XC towed to a mates up the road. i have a mate who has a dizzy waiting for me thanks tyler, but ill contact you if it dosnt work and i need another. back to work tomorrow, so glad this break is over lol

So i finally got the mongrel started, got hold of a XE dizzy without a vacuum, so uncle showed me how to put one on after he pulled out a box of dizzys, bit of messing around trying to stop these old boys from trailing off and getting distracted. then he gave me a MEC coil to go with it. got the wiring sorted and everything. extractors finish under the seat, with a 2.5" pipe at the end of the merge. lol its loud, too loud hey, ive got to drive it back to my new place before i fly home monday, might take the coast road since its limit is 80kms and the freeway/carpark is up to 100. pisses about a bit when you back off but theres no smoke and i think the timings great, bout 8, thats if i have the dizzy on the right tooth.

so after all this my uncle turns around and shows me a rebuilt 351 thats got 4v valves, roller rockers, 4mab crank, balanced that they built for a guy who never took it, 4k and its mine. lol funny how things work out hey. so im just getting  the car home only to take the engine out again and put all the v8 conversion gear in hahhaha i keep saying to my mate once this is done im not touching it anymore but we both know im a filthy liar.