Server maintenance Read more... ×
Mr Polson

Sat Nav Update

To give them the benefit of the doubt, OZFord may have been forced into this by the Ford USA dictators.

Either way, it is bad move and puts a black mark on Ford's ability to provide cars with a good Nav & management system.

We had one of our fleet - 2014 XR6 FG2 updated at North Harbour Ford (North Shore City, Auckland). The service manager & workshop manager both knew how to do it and charged us at cost - NZ$375.00 - I got the impression they didn't think it was value for money.

However the end result is appallingly outdated. Changes - some intersections are now continual roads with a sharp bend, some slow bends are now intersections!!!!, Some road updates are in but many major highways are not -  even though they were in the planning process since 2007 - 2010.

We have a case for action under the fair trading act but it's not worth it for the cost. Consequently, we will not be updating our other FG2 and won't buy any more Fords

About time we bought a class action or mass complaint to the NZ commerce commission - & the OZ equivalent - against Ford regarding their failure with FG2 Nav. The Ford OZ design team really stuffed up when they specified the Whereis. It's the only one that needs a laptop and half a day to load an update. Ford has thumbed their noses at NZ consumer law by not supporting for 7 years after last sale - 2014.

Whereis has been bought by TomTom and they don't want to know about updates.

Which leaves all we FG2 owners to either arrange a hack - risky, or mount an aftermarket unit on the dash?

Anybody tried to install an FGX unit in an FG2 instead? I understand you also need to get all the serial numbers of the wreck it came out of and you get a free upgrade for 7 years if you can pull the wool with Ford.

We are just about to replace our XR6 fleet sedans, and guess what.....they will not be fords because of this - we want to know we can rely on service & updates and clearly ford cannot be trusted. it will be either Commodores or Kia Stingers. We can't replace the  XR6 Ute though as there's nothing to replace it except a newer Commodore ute.  Our local Ford dealer is a bit unhappy when I said no new fords thanks, and we also stopped sending our cars to them for service.

Next update for the XR6 Ute - looking to put a hydrogen fuel cell & electric motor in. Any advice?

There are a couple of people that have done custom upgrades from Sync1 to Sync2, but it was too expensive to be worth it, as - from what I can gather - it required the entire FGX dash and all body/boot/engine looms plus ECU etc to be used, the looms were rerun plus a hole needed to be cut in the roof for the antenna, and there was still no guarantee on the GPS. There's some imperial DIY kits for American vehicles but I'm not sure how well they'd run in metric....plus some are as dodgy as hell.

There's already a mod group looking at doing a Sync2 to Sync3 update (or even commercially like this Yank mob, for US$2300), but again, as we're out of the technology loop for a car that's no longer made, I'm not too sure how successful it would be. As for updating from Sync1 to Sync3.....I don't like your chances. At least Sync3 comes with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay.....