Server maintenance Read more... ×
Mr Polson

Sat Nav Update

THis may be the wrong site to ask this on...

Bought the avaliable sat nav update for my G6E (MkII FG).

Received it in the mail today, a SD card. Now, the "instructions" that came with the SD card say to follow the on screen prompts of the Sat Nav. Which tells me to insert a Flash Drive.

Now Ive searched the car for a SD card slot, which it must not have.

I've tried a SD card/USB convertor and get a "Invalid Map Data" error. I've tried copying the data off the SD card onto a USB and get the same error codes.

Anyone have any advice besides contacting Ford (thats on the to do list).

Have tried searching the web but not finding much relating to the MkII FGs.

Wasnt for the FGX was it?

I took my FGX into Ford a few weeks ago for a minor bit of work and they informed me the Sat Nat required an upgrade. The FGX has an SD slot next to the USB ports.

After some more digging I believe I have been sold the wrong merchandise.

The SD card update is meant for MkI FGs with factory sat nav. MkII FGs still need to visit the dealer to be updated.

Have requested a refund from WhereIs Maps (the map provider), will see how I go.

This is what you get when you look for Sat Nav updates via the Ford website:

http://www.ford.com.au/ownership/sat-nav-map

You then click on the FG Falcon one and it takes you to WhereIs:

https://ford.navshop.com.au/default.asp

But NOWHERE on these sites does it mention the update is for MkI only.

Wasnt for the FGX was it?

I took my FGX into Ford a few weeks ago for a minor bit of work and they informed me the Sat Nat required an upgrade. The FGX has an SD slot next to the USB ports.

Nah pretty sure its FG MkI.

Doubt the FGX updates can be bought online yet.

FGII doesn't seem to have any SD slot. My mechanic and I pretty much searched the whole car :/

I recon id be pretty hesitant to do any firmware upgrades on my own car. Based purely on the high failure rate of electronic equipment i have worked on over the last 15 years.

I recon it would be better to get ford to do it so if it fucks up its their problem.

Nothing worse than the blue screen of death with system error on it.

The latest one!

I can have a look at the version tomorrow if you like.

I noticed the maps are a little more details and more colour, plus it shows more points of interest.

I had a quick look for version numbers the other night and buggered if i could find it.

Ill have  better look this weekend Chris. So many bloody menus on the thing.

I am following this with interest as my MkI needs an upgrade.

Well... I may be able to assist.

Seeing as the SD card I have here is for a MkI it's totally useless to me except to get a refund.

Have a look above the passenger side kick panel of your FG and see if you can see a silver box with a SD card in it.

Well... I may be able to assist.

Seeing as the SD card I have here is for a MkI it's totally useless to me except to get a refund.

Have a look above the passenger side kick panel of your FG and see if you can see a silver box with a SD card in it.

Something like this I believe

cc4c2fb4951258741c2a86a3331986c0.jpg

Will do... tomorrow.

Hi, not sure if you found an answer to this problem? Here in NZ, it took a lot of work to get an answer. This is what we found. Ford have a looming problem that will bite them if they leave it as it is. For some odd reason, the MkII FG Falcons & Territorys had the Whereis map system. (Whereis has now been bought by TOMTOM). It is completely different to all other Fords. Also a different cost - MkI FG & FGX are about NZ$150 but the FG MKII $500 - $800!!

For the MkII FG, it can only be installed by a dealer - not all dealers know this,  Ford refuse to provide later than 2015 version, and have said updates are only available till late 2017.

We found a dealer who has done it once and did it on one of our Falcons for NZ$495. Notable that when the car was new in 2014, the map was 2 years out of date & the new version is up to date on some things but 2-3 years out on others. I am going to make contact with TOMTOM to see if they are going to take up this challenge - given the number of FG MKII Falcons around in NZ & OZ, it may be a nice wee earner for them. After all, what is the point of car manufacturers putting NAV in their cars if they are not prepared to offer updates for at least 10 years??.

In NZ this is illegal as service and spares must operate for 7 years. We have a 2014 XR6 Sedan & a 2013 Ute, both business vehicles & will be kept for another 5 years minimum.

Ford helpline had no idea that MkII was different and Ford NZ and OZ direct emails were both dismissive of my questions.

Good luck if you haven't & hopefully we can urge Ford to do better .

Jeez, and to think I got the maps in my FGX (running Sync2) updated so easily! Details in my FGX Showroom thread if interested.

Ford Australia guarantee free map upgrades for 7 years (on regular servicing of the car, one free map update a year) until September 2024 at the latest....but only those runnnig Sync2 ICCs. After a quick check I can't find any such agreements for those running Sync1 systems, and even the Ford Navshop are only offering AU v19/NZ v8 for FG Falcons (doesn't specify MkI or MkII), but AU23/NZ12 for other non-Falcon models. WTF?

It might be possible that Ford dealerships may update Sync1 maps like they do Sync2, but probably only if you bring it to them for servicing, which really doesn't answer your question. Sorry. :(

For FGII you have to visit a dealer for a map update. At least until the end of this year I'm lead to believe.

It's $300+ for the update, plus labour costs to install the update.

I gave up on worrying about it to be quite honest.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, thorne said:

Jeez, and to think I got the maps in my FGX (running Sync2) updated so easily! Details in my FGX Showroom thread if interested.

Ford Australia guarantee free map upgrades for 7 years (on regular servicing of the car, one free map update a year) until September 2024 at the latest....but only those runnnig Sync2 ICCs. After a quick check I can't find any such agreements for those running Sync1 systems, and even the Ford Navshop are only offering AU v19/NZ v8 for FG Falcons (doesn't specify MkI or MkII), but AU23/NZ12 for other non-Falcon models. WTF?

It might be possible that Ford dealerships may update Sync1 maps like they do Sync2, but probably only if you bring it to them for servicing, which really doesn't answer your question. Sorry. :(

Yep, dunno what happened at OZFord, must have been a full moon when they made the decision, as the FGII has a completely different version to FGI or FGX. The really funny thing is, they were doing the Sync 1, 2 & 3 on the supermarket assault vehicles (SUV) and other cars at the same time as the FGII was in production.

Then Ford announced (you'll find it if you google it)  that the Whereis on FGII has not been updated past 2015, and they would stop selling this in December 2017! 

If we could replace the FGII Ute with an FGX then we would, if only because of the NAV, but because big low centre of gravity 2door utes are not being made any more by anyone, everybody is holding on to them so ya canna buy one no matter how much money you offer! In the midst of this, Whereis was bought and seemingly squashed by TomTom, and so I emailed them. The TomTom reply is real emu stuff - head in the sand........."please refer to your service dealer"

In NZ it is law to provide proper service and parts for up to 7 years past last sale date so hopefully they will wake up and deal with this soonish.

9 hours ago, Mr Polson said:

For FGII you have to visit a dealer for a map update. At least until the end of this year I'm lead to believe.

It's $300+ for the update, plus labour costs to install the update.

I gave up on worrying about it to be quite honest.

Erk, kinda surprising saying Sync2 Nav update is completely free (via dealership) for the next 7 years....but not the Sync1? I assume Sync1 and Sync2 Nav maps are owned/designed by different companies?

I wonder what arrangement they have with Sync3? I put the FGX in for Ford diags earlier today, might ask them tomorrow when I pick it up.

Erk, kinda surprising saying Sync2 Nav update is completely free (via dealership) for the next 7 years....but not the Sync1? I assume Sync1 and Sync2 Nav maps are owned/designed by different companies?
I wonder what arrangement they have with Sync3? I put the FGX in for Ford diags earlier today, might ask them tomorrow when I pick it up.
Sync1 or FGII (whatever it is) is a Whereis map system, Whereis is now owned by TomTom.

I'd possibly consider buying maps if they didn't charge so much to install them, when they literally just plug a USB into my centre console.

Just picked the FGX from Ford 1hr ago, and thought I'd ask about it.

For Sync1, yep, it's as you said. However, the guy I spoke to had to check with two others, um'ing and uh'ing, and the verdict still wasn't 100%, so clearly even they are a bit uncertain of the process. They don't get a lot of FGs/Sync1 Nav updates I guess.....?

Sync2 is covered for the next 7 years, either via dealer or online USB flash-key downloads.

Sync3 is different still, as apparently Ford suggests connecting the system to the Internet via wi-fi and it updates itself in the background, including maps apparently.

Well would you want to go and pay those kind of prices for a map update?

Not all FGII got maps either, G6E was standard but not sure on G6 or XR versions.

I have the same problem with my 2012 G6E FG MK2 where the maps cannot be upgraded. I discovered this in Dec 2016 when I was looking to sell the car and after many discussions with various service departments and phone calls to various people, I was advised by the local Ford dealer that Ford no longer supports the map upgrades for the FG MK2. The MK1 'whereis' updates aren't compatible and neither is the later Sync update because the car isn't fitted with the Sync onboard software.

I was told that Ford might consider supporting the map upgrades at a later date but it's unlikely. Great customer service!