Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ricktewagon

Can you run a 6cyl Flywheel on a Windsor?

Hey guys, so getting around to dropping my Windsor in the Corty (very slowly) & was playing with the pile of parts I have. Looks like the Flywheel I have is a 6cyl one. So Can you run a 6cyl Flywheel on a Windsor?

Looks like it will bolt up & I have the clutch & all that just thought Id ask you guys before I bolt it up. Long story but the guys who built the engine fucked me around endlessly so I recently took it back. I have asked them as I was told it had all been balanced. Waiting for a reply.

Also, I'm no expert but this flywheel doesn't even look machined to me. What do u guys reckon?

Cheers.

IMG_1132_zps0ngoj2nb.jpg

That fly have 6 bolt holes ? If so perhaps it's a E series fly wheel ? Xflow fly wheels are 3 bolt clutch e series went to 6 bolt. Don't know what model though.

As for clutch sizing,I ran a 6 cyl clutch on a clevo before and a F100 clutch but Id imagine you could swap and change between Windsor aswell based on flex plates thus far. I used a XR6 unit on my xflow which gave the best feel and wear rate of the affordable units.   

That fly have 6 bolt holes ? If so perhaps it's a E series fly wheel ? Xflow fly wheels are 3 bolt clutch e series went to 6 bolt. Don't know what model though.

As for clutch sizing,I ran a 6 cyl clutch on a clevo before and a F100 clutch but Id imagine you could swap and change between Windsor aswell based on flex plates thus far. I used a XR6 unit on my xflow which gave the best feel and wear rate of the affordable units.   

yeah 6 holes. Ill have to hit up the cocks that attempted to build it. It had a different flywheel originally because the old school pressure plate (XR style) that was on it originally doesn't fit the smaller flywheel.

What's the balance on the Windsor, 28 or 50 oz? <br /><br />The next question is what bell housing do you have as the starter may not engage. I had this problem with the 157 tooth flywheel and an alloy Cleveland bell housing which is suited for 164 tooth fly.....<br /><br />Is that an original cast cross flow flywheel? If it is I wouldn't use it.

I went through all this when sussing out T5 bellhousings for my Clevo. Most 302w setups are 157 flywheel and bell, whereas clevo/351w/400m are 164.

You can use a 164 fly on the Windsor as long as you have the bell to go with it.

Balance is based on year model. All smallblock V8s are 28 oz up until the early 80s. 302 Windsors went to 50 oz around 1982, so they could save material on the crank. 351w were a bit later from memory but that won't matter because you want the smaller flywheel anyway.

Long story short, you can't run a 6-cyl flywheel, even though it will bolt up. You can get an internallly balanced crank but I'm sure a flywheel is cheaper.

So any advantage running the smaller Flywheel & Clutch?

Yeah faster throttle response, can run 6-cyl clutch for faster shifts, more choice in flywheels available (and cheaper) due to the big market for Windsors in the states.

What box are you running?

Yeah faster throttle response, can run 6-cyl clutch for faster shifts, more choice in flywheels available (and cheaper) due to the big market for Windsors in the states.

What box are you running?

Running a Toploader. Talked to the guy this morning & they gave me the wrong flywheel. It never ends with these dicks. Thanks for all the replys guys.

I went through all this when sussing out T5 bellhousings for my Clevo. Most 302w setups are 157 flywheel and bell, whereas clevo/351w/400m are 164.

You can use a 164 fly on the Windsor as long as you have the bell to go with it.

Balance is based on year model. All smallblock V8s are 28 oz up until the early 80s. 302 Windsors went to 50 oz around 1982, so they could save material on the crank. 351w were a bit later from memory but that won't matter because you want the smaller flywheel anyway.

Long story short, you can't run a 6-cyl flywheel, even though it will bolt up. You can get an internallly balanced crank but I'm sure a flywheel is cheaper.

Where doe's a neutral balance Windsor flex plate come from ? IE no weight ?

I guess you just remove the weight or order one that is already neutral (some race engines are internally balanced). Some aftermarket flexplates come with a separate counterweight that attaches either by rivets or is sandwiched there by the flywheel bolts... I've never played with autos myself so don't know too much about that stuff.

If your question is rhetorical then I maybe should clarify. You can't run a 6-cyl neutral flywheel or flexplate on a Windsor with an externally balanced crank.

Just wondering why you can buy a neutral balance flex plate for a Windsor at all.I use a neutral balance Windsor plate on the ute so just figured they where found on a "insert model here" Windsor.

Listen and learn everyday.

Just wondering why you can buy a neutral balance flex plate for a Windsor at all.I use a neutral balance Windsor plate on the ute so just figured they where found on a "insert model here" Windsor.

Listen and learn everyday.

Yeah neutral balance is best for sustained high-rpm use, as imbalances are contained within the crank itself, rather than hanging weights off the flywheel and balancer.

Externally balanced engines came about due to some V8s lacking the necessary room to accommodate crank weights big enough to balance the engine internally. Some Chevs are, (400 I think), all Ford smallblocks, some big blocks too. I think all Chryslers are internal but don't quote me on that.

Back when there weren't any aftermarket stroker cranks available for Clevos, they used to offset grind a 4MA into a Chev big end and internal balance using heavy metal slugs knocked into the counterweights.

Modern stroker cranks can be ordered neutral balance due to lightweight pistons, etc not requiring as much counterweighting, hence the option of a neutral balance flywheel

I do understand the concept just thought there must of been a model of Windsor that was neutral balance. Apparently it's common in the QLD version that comes with a roller wrapped by a wicked black Xf sedan LOL.

Cheers guys.