Server maintenance Read more... ×
XCeed

Calling all BW35/40 gurus...help please

Greetings,

I'm rebuilding my BW40 from an XF Fairmont wagon and need a handy tip on how to remove a pivot pin on the passenger side of the case. According to the XF parts catalogue, there's an o-ring in there to replace and I can't budge the little bastard.

Inside view

mr8AnVQ.jpg

Outside view

jzz6Nnw.jpg

Ford parts manual with highlighted o-ring I'm referring to...

zsRSQiW.jpg

It appears to me the pin inserts from the outside in, but I'm not 100% sure. I would appreciate some guidance before I turn up the aggression, thanks.

Looks like it's an interference press fit, from the outside in.

Thus needs to be pressed back out.

You could try hitting the end with a hammer, but if the steel is soft, you'll bell the end where the circlip goes.

Using a brass drift would minimise any damage.

It would be better using a press.

Was it leaking from that seal?

Does the rebuild kit come with a replacement o-ring?

Is there an access hole directly opposite, in the case - to allow a drift to go right through the case - if using a press?

I don't think it was leaking but everything else was. The tranny fluid smelt burnt when I took the pan off. Hence I want to replace every bit of rubber in the box.

UdYvojM.jpg

Yes my kit has the replacement but no there is no direct access opposite.

The diaphragm spring let go, allowing the piston to lurch forward and the lip seal to burst out (just above 9 o'clock in the photo) and jam the forward clutch engaged. I bought the car and drove it home like this, smooth as silk, only going forward of course. It still wanted to go forward when selecting neutral, and locked up when selecting reverse.

xWrndor.jpg

I'm thinking about using a heavy duty sliding bar clamp and putting a socket over the top of the pin to press against the case and squeeze the pin back through. If that doesn't work, I think I'll reluctantly move on.

I love your enthusiasm and commitment to the car and gearbox and I'm sure you seen this coming but have you thought of a C4 conversion ? 

Perhaps MSG Gregaust...he is the local gearbox guru round here and will be able to help you out I'm sure.

Good luck with moving forward...and backwards LOL 

On 1/24/2016 at 7:55 AM, slydog said:

Good luck with moving forward...and backwards LOL 

Good one Slydog, good one. Yes I've read about the much maligned BWs but when I started pulling it apart, it was still in very good condition overall. I drive like a grandpa and the engine is stock so I decided to stick with it and get a rebuild kit and some bushes. There is a shadow of a texta mark '2004' inside the case suggesting it has already been reco'd before.

I think it was the usual suspect heat that lead to the demise of this box. I have a mystery that Sparky_Dave or Polson might be interested in (having read about Polson's monza red wagon build).

wXhbum6.jpg

This car (85 XF Fairmont wagon) has never seen a wide radiator despite factory fitted aircon. It has the sticker in the side window and the centre console with air ducts to the rear. However, it has the steel fan and an old 78DA plastic shroud that has been hacked a bit and is the only non-original looking part on the car (ignoring the wheels and bull-bar). So from the look of the rusty gunge in the radiator overflow bottle, a new radiator was fitted, the old steel fan cover was chucked and an old plastic shroud was fitted to try and improve cooling efficiency. I'm waiting on a reply from Ford regarding the factory build details to confirm the factory fitted air, or not. I'll be fitting a big new PWR trans cooler independent of the radiator to protect my investment, and fit a wide radiator.

Ok, that's my second coffee, off to the man cave to have another crack at that pin..........

Heat and lack of maintenence kills the boxes pretty easy.

They'll last if looked after.

Interesting mystery too.

Maybe the AC is dealer not factory?

Confirmation from Ford should help clear it up.

Does it have a factory towbar?

Would've thought A/C would be standard on Fairmont...

Stuff the pin, I've decided to move on and reassemble.

Mr. Polson, don't think it's a factory tow bar as there is no trans cooler installed (and the rear valence panel is butchered :( ). Sparky, thermostat housing isn't blanked off. Be interesting to get the Ford report. That's a Japanese GMB water pump so this part of the engine has been worked on (has matching numbers block and C1 head appears to be period correct so may be original).

slB485f.jpg

Should I say dealer fitted 'aftermarket' Aircon is what I meant.

Dealer fitted 'factory' Aircon, would come with the emissions gear, I imagine.

The metal fan and small rad/shroud definitely points to a factory non-A/C vehicle.

Does it have the low series center console?

It has the (high series?) storage bin with A/C ducts and vents for rear passengers.

This extract is from the parts manual. Do you know how to interpret all this 'ORB' and 'ARB' stuff? 'S' means 'selective fit', that's the only definition I can find in the manual. Almost looks like there was a standard 'narrow' radiator fitted to cars with A/C prior to 01/86.

1CDwRsS.jpg