winton

To tub or not to tub

Considering tubbing my Corty to the rails but after taking some measurement I'm not sure its worth the effort.

Looking at it I will only gain 30mm. I would also have to cut the wing off the side of the chassis rail, thinking that could give the car a defect if spotted and it would be hard to fix if they picked up on it.

I've Seen a few people over the net that have done it.

Is there something I'm missing? Seems like a lot of effort for 30mm

I plan to set it up for 400m but will use it on the road to go to the local shops etc.

I should be able to get a 9" rim in the standard tub with the right offset

IMG_20160105_220049.jpg

What would that extra 30mm allow you to do over getting the right offset rim on the current setup? Only ask as I don't know which way would be better.

Your right that its a lot of work for not much gain and it can't be easily changed back but getting offset rim that would allow the bigger tyre to fit would change the track width of your car also making it technically illegal. But rims are a lot easier to change back and you could always carry the different offset rims to the track so you don't have issues.

I can't see any benefit really, but I don't want to put the car back together and say to myself wish I had that extra 30mm now.

Was thinking maybe there's a reason im missing other then then to say "its been tubbed" .

The diff I'm fitting is 30mm shorter each end so the track will be out anyway.

Ok for me best way to look at it is its better to have too much room and not use it all than go searching for extra room later. 

My ute will take up to 325x60 tyre on it's ear but I race on 275 radial or a 255 treaded slick. Thing is currently the car has 295x50x15 on the rear and a 145x70 front on the street rims and it looks killer. So if you tub your car to the rails I think you can fit a 255/275x50 "UNDER" the car not out side which means ALOT to mr plod too. And if the car makes some power wider tyres will always help put the power down.30mm is the difference between 235 and 265.There's ALOT more contact area in that alone IMO.

In closing...I'd like to see you tubb it yes and I do think there is solid gain to be had by that 30mm.    

Ive never tubbed one of my own cortinas for a reason, you can fit a 235 tyre under a stock arch with no real issues, a bit of pumping you can get a 255 tyre as mine will take with no tubs I little folding on a TE will take a 245 tyre and that's a big looking shoe on a Cortina chrises beacon ran 235 tyres and you could hook corners and not touch the tyres on anything there was a fair amount of room under there 245 would of fit but 255 would not 

My grey car has a 8.5 inch slick and 10.5 inch side wall. it would be good for 10s with that much footprint given your car is a NA 6cyl you will never be able to use the extra tyre anyway even a 250hp engine is not going to unload a 235 et at the track and on the street a 235 hooks not to bad as your moving nothing

Ive never looked at how much power mine has but it does 1.6 60s so it moves off ok ive never had traction issues even with the stock rearend that car also does 1.91 60 on a bridgestone street tyre and as the old saying goes races are won or lost in the first 60 foot

Have to make power to warrant tubs,but as Mossy has 275s under his and is havin tractiion issues in his very well raced and sorted car shows even that much tyre can struggle.Id suggest he knows how to set a Corty up too.

Plus a tubbed car just looks like a mans car.

There is definitely gains to be had. My mates 66 mustang could only cop a 245 to 255 on a 17x8 custom offset wheel and the diff cut down to fine tune to the last mm to get them under. The original tubs were also spliced and modified in one section also to try and gain a bit more clearance . When we first done the paint and panel he talked himself out of doing it then regretted it after eventually cracking and then we had to chop up a very shiny and pretty mustang to give it the look he had wanted all along. We split the tub added a 40ish mm strip down the centre and went flat to the rail. It now takes a 285 on a 19" wheel with ease. If you do it neatly with precise cuts so your not trying to fill big ass gaps with welds that end up looking like shit, seal it all up nice and use some common sense about how to retain the strength of the rail it is definitely worth while.   

Hey mate, have a look over these that I did for a TE. I folded the chassis lip up so you don't need to cut the lip, stronger and less cutting of standard metal. If your in Sydney and are interested in getting them done, let me know and I'll give you some details. They take about 4 days to get done and so far everyone has been happy with the price.

https://www.facebook.com/ToughGarage

Hey mate, have a look over these that I did for a TE. I folded the chassis lip up so you don't need to cut the lip, stronger and less cutting of standard metal. If your in Sydney and are interested in getting them done, let me know and I'll give you some details. They take about 4 days to get done and so far everyone has been happy with the price.

Awesome work bro :)

Cheers I'm in sa.

I had though maybe I could fold it.

Will probably go a head and tub it. Thinking as long as u do it neat it won't ever get noticed.