There's no point in saving a couple of bucks and risking sending shit into the injector strainers. You're right, It is very unlikely it will rust. But if it does, you wont be able to see it, until one of your injectors blocks up and you lean a cylinder out. I would not be using steel anywhere north of your fuel filter, Pre filter is ok(ish), as the filter will catch it all.

(Disclaimer: I have been known to trip balls about shit that's likely not going to ever be an issue)

Agree mate. Thing with meth is it is very corrosive. It eats shit pretty quickly. Also likes to leave a nice crusty white deposit if it dries out/ sees air. Well that's mainly on the poor quality, non racing methanol. Once you step up to elf or power plus you end up with really nice stuff. 99.5% pure methanol. The other stuff has nasties like acetone to raise its specific gravity, hence why most run the upper cylinder lube (candy).

image.jpg

So after making dearly beloved her favourite lunch for Mothers Day, I got some time to play on the arse end of the fuel system for THOR.

image.jpg

The weekend before I was over at the brother in laws doing some body work on the vtec mini, when I spotted an alloy fuel tank. I had forgotten about the tank to be honest. It came with the mini and of course we were not able to use it on the mini due to rego requirements. Brother in law had it and the twin 044 bracket just sitting there. After two days bogging up and shaping the widened front flares on the mini, he was happy to donate it to the corty build. Apparently the tanks retail for $150 so I'm guessing he got the better end of the deal.

image.jpg

Anyway it has a nice low sump on it and it's as if it was made for the corty. There is plently of rust in the section where the outlets are and I plan on deleting the rear bumper and making a nice rolled rear pan. This will allow plenty of room for some nice 90 degree fittings to drop down into the wheel well, where the twin 044's will live. Some nice twin lines punched thru the wheel well and over to the left side chassis rail. Should look okay.

image.jpg

Can easily fill her up from here as well. If the boot remains in steel I will have to trim the boot hinge as it fouls the tank. The boot is not in spectacular condition, so if I can get a fibreglass one, it will go. If not I'll skeletonise the frame and make it pinned. Plenty of time to decide that. The battery also sits nicely up there on the factory ledge. All that left rear weight should help with traction.

Would have got more done but the other occupant of the back yard decided she wanted to play.

image.jpg

Never mind. Some progress made, despite it being Mother's Day.

Another piece arrived today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

3.5" to twin 2.5". Plan is to modify the end of the headers by cutting off the reduction to 3" presently there and installing a 3.5" section. Enough to fit two o2 sniffers, one on the inside of the tube for the AEM gauge and one for the dyno sniffer. Obviously I'll bung the dyno sniffer when not in use or connect the Autronic specific sniffer for logging at the track.

On the end of that I'll fit this piece with a 3.5" v band clamp, that is yet to arrive. Think the twin 2.5" will be easier to route under the car but still have enough volume.

Also finalised injector sizing. Going with the 1000cc that are actually 970cc. Couple of reasons. Pat from competition systems did some research on the 1350cc's on my behalf. Seems the 1350's are just 970's with the end milled off. Sort of like uncapping the injectors. Yeah it gives more flow but at the expense of better fuel atomisation.

As I said we did the math and 970's were up to the task at 70% duty cycle at 3 bar, for the HP per cylinder target I am aiming for. If this turns out to be overly ambitious then we will just lower the injector duty cycle with no adverse effects. If it turns out that we do better than expected the we can up the duty cycle and rail pressure. I'm also sourcing my 044 pumps through him as he deals directly with Bosch Motorsport, so I can be sure that they are genuine Bosch.

Still plugging away on this bad boy. Yeah I've well and truly missed my target for having it to the engine dyno, but I'm not overly upset about that.

Good choice, You don't want to go too big with the injectors as it can make it hard to tune the idle if your inj pulse drops below the dead time. Typically anything under 2 milliseconds.

Does this mean the injectors your getting are meth safe now?

Yeah mate, same injector as before. Meth and e85 safe but they still say to flush with petrol. I always planned on flushing with petrol anyway because the new track only has one test and tune per month basically. I don't know that I will be able to get to every meeting the way work is, so better to be safe.

No e85 available from the pump up here yet, although I don't think it will be that long. Methanol is still way cheaper and easier to obtain and it's not like is ever going to hit the streets. It would be kinda fun, in a street outlaws kinda way, but I really need my licence for work so I'll just leave it for the track.

The new exhaust section looks ok, i can't work out why they've reduced it to 3" instead of just going 3.5" straight onto it like you want to do, strange.

Gonna sound pretty crazy though i reckon!!

Yeah I think it was to suit a different application. I'm going to be pumping a heap more waste out with the bigger compression etc. It's important to factor this in. When you improve the amount of air and fuel going in and add compression, you need to increase the size of the waste pipes.

I have always been a fan of long pipes, even in open header applications. Thor will not be running mufflers because of the application, so the longer pipes will help. I'm confident it will sound ace.

The v band flange and clamp kit arrived today, and yes I forgot to take a photo. I'll jump onto that tomorrow. Just about to order the coils. Ouch. Between them,mths injectors and pumps its will be an expensive week. Oh well.

The new exhaust section looks ok, i can't work out why they've reduced it to 3" instead of just going 3.5" straight onto it like you want to do, strange.

Gonna sound pretty crazy though i reckon!!

I would say, because it is an exhaust to header collector for a system which requires an exhaust (peak HP) which is greater than what works with the headers. Without the reduction, the exhaust effectively becomes a big collector.

Otherwise, it makes no sense.

to much reading in here my head hurts

all I can read is blar injector electronic blar blar cant find anything refering to a turbo so im out :D

good looking TBs but jonstons did this in the late 90s 11.7 and driven to the track not bad for a 250 back then

Yeah Matt the extractors are very well made. They have 3 secondary tubes, all of 2 1/4" diameter. That makes for a very big collector which then tapers down to the 3", 3 bolt flange. It has a tapered cone insert in the collector.

I plan on still having a reduction at the collector but just not down to 3". It will be 3.5" for a short section and then that piece in the photo.

Sorry Dave, no turbo in here and yeah, it has been a bit wordy of late. Just me thinking out aloud and keeping everyone informed of my plans. So the Jonstons did a solid roller cam crossy on meth, with ecu controlled efi, triple ITB's, crank trigger and CPP in the 90's? Wow I'd like to see that car.

So the Jonstons did a solid roller cam crossy on meth, with ecu controlled efi, triple ITB's, crank trigger and CPP in the 90's? Wow I'd like to see that car.

Yeah so would we Ando.

Pump fuel crank trigger 6 coil packs and injection perfection TBs did over 300 at the feet back then and under 6000rpm to was very good as most could not pull more then 260 back then I couldn't that's for sure

that car died a painful death in a housefire and is nomore real shame had big MPH for a little 6 with 3,5 gears and only a handful of passes under its belt run 11s first time out on a stock corty rearend

Sounds like an interesting package and would have been advanced in the 90's for sure. Especially as aftermarket efi was in its infancy. Would have been bloody expensive as well back then. Good on them. Sad news on being destroyed in a house fire.

I know I'm not the first to do it. Jason was well ahead of me and probably many others. It's the first time I've played with this level of intake and ignition control as previously my stuff was based around the restrictive 'modified sedans' rule book.

I must say that I am enjoying the experience and I'm learning heaps and to me, that's what it is all about. The fact that I get to share my journey with you guys is an added reward. You keep me honest and focused.

I will build a turbo version Dave. But not until I get this one nailed and the beauty is most of the gear and knowledge will transfer into that build.

Oh Matt there is so so much I want to get onto with this build. Time and paying work is my enemy at the moment. New financial year will be a very different story.

The shop ute is damn close to being finished and I need it done and the MSC fired up and running before I can allow myself to play with this car full time.

I'm busy hunting and gathering parts now so that when the time comes, I can just hook straight in and build it. No waiting on stuff. Nothing worse that sitting on your hands waiting for gear. I can hear this thing running in my head and it taunts me. I'll get there. Just need to clear the decks and it will be all on.

folklaw crude picture but it was all analog back then even cameras

ask the boys at injection perfection about this car it was one of the toughest street driven crossys around for a long time it did a fair few dyno comps when i was doing it and always whipped me by over 40rwhp min this was one of the cars that made me switch to webbers. i could not aford this setup it was over $6500 at the time no pumps or fuel system just TBs and computer that was more then my engine was worth

Maybe you could start a thread with all your stuff in it and what you have done Dave ? Daves racing dyno exploits and then people could check it out. Pics and vids needed though.

Back to original programming...how are you going to do the exhaust on the car anyway ? Will it go to the back or end near the diff? I reckon mine would benefit from dropping the exhaust based on weight saving ( twin 2.5" FFS ) but don't know the car would like a short a exhaust as such ? Maybe I could fit a single 3.5" small body muffler to the end of the collector to tone noise and not sacrifice power? Seems to work for some more serious drag guys in muffler classes. Whats your plans unless you don't want to let too much out of the bag so to speak? 

Exhaust plans are the extractors in the pictures with the collector modified to have a short section probs 6-8 Inches long. I need an o2 port on the inside of this section of tube for the AEM o2 sensor, then one on the outside for the dyno sniffer. Easy access for the dyno sniffer is a priority.

After that short section of 3.5" I'll weld on the v band and that will provide the attachment point for the 3.5" to twin 2.5". I'll run twin 2.5 the whole way to the back of the car, over the diff and through the old fuel tank location. Then twin exits through the rear valance. Should sound sweet.

Edit: just got back from Springmount raceway for the last day of Northern Nats. Man I want to be a part of that action. Went for a ride in mates 427 blown XY 'never phased'. Oh yeah I'm keen.

Good week end hey Ando. I went up yesterday. Gary Myers has a pair of nuts the size of cannon balls. Power skidded 2insane pretty much the length of the track picking up some serious pace by the end of it. It ran straight as an arrow so the big man made it look easy as going to pick up the milk. LOL.

Here what your saying I got an itch that may need scratching! Its just not fun watching people with fun cars!