Server maintenance Read more... ×

Ok time to start a thread on THOR, my idea of the ultimate aspo crossflow. This is the engine that will be powering my new TD Cortina drag car venture.

Here is a brief run down on THOR's specs;

Triple 45mm webers (soon to be converted to E85)

Tighe - Solid roller cam

Heavily ported C2A head

86da block

Modified EF crank

Ross Forged 200 rod pistons

Spool Forged 200 conrods

Anyway I have had this formula in my head for a long time and I collected all the bits and pieces and now its time to assemble the monster that will become THOR.

This is where it all started. Laying out THORs head. After many trips to the flow bench on the test head we eventually had damn good flow. Then the webers came onto the scene so Cam re-ported to suit the webers and the 1"3/4 primaries of the new extractors. I am really happy with the finished product. The intake flow and intake to exhaust percentage is right where we need to get the power we are chasing

iphone_193.jpg

271215_033.jpg

131015_005.jpg

151015_003.jpg

Finally started assembly today. Here is the head all dressed up. Yella Terra shaft mount rockers. GWR pushrod guides, Ferrea stainless steel single groove valves. Isky locators, retainers and locks. All quality - bulletproof gear.

281215_002.jpg

More quality gear - Aussiespeed heat shield and tall polished rocker cover.

281215_005.jpg

Plan is to have it all assembled and ready for a trip to the engine dyno in Brisbane in February 2016. Really hoping to make solid numbers. Lot of work to do before then. Need to make up a mount for the alternator that incorporates mounting for this baby.

iphone_465.jpg

Aerospace components vacuum pump. Very nice bit of kit and should help make a few more HP.

Also need to get some EGT bungs welded into these headers

290715_002.jpg

did you or will you get that head mapped for cnc machining.. would be handy to be able to bung in a few stock heads and have matching chambers and ports machined up for "spares"

assuming its awesome..

looks like a proper thought out dream.. looking forward to seeing how this goes!

Now thats a Crossy.

Thors 'Hammer' so to speak. Hehe.

You smite em good mate.

Nothing beats well thought out motors.

That knife edge crank is too nice to be on the inside.... need a perspex sump. Lol.

Best of luck...... but dont think you need it.

Jack.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

did you or will you get that head mapped for cnc machining.. would be handy to be able to bung in a few stock heads and have matching chambers and ports machined up for "spares"

assuming its awesome..

looks like a proper thought out dream.. looking forward to seeing how this goes!

No mate. no plans to Cnc map the head. In my experience there are not too many x flow people willing to pay the money that this sort of head is worth. We still have the test head so we can replicate what we have if we need to, or if someone wants a copy. But you need deep pockets for a head of this caliber. The flow bench says it will work. Time will tell if this equates to numbers on the engine dyno.

Yeah, I thought about this long and hard. Cam and I worked and reworked the head to suit. The camshaft was designed by GT, who was A mentor to both Cam and I and I can't wait to hear this thing take its first breath.

I have seen that crank and pictures don't so it justice, it is a thing of beauty. Bet there wasn't much sleep the night the crank was put to bed :)

Looks like I best be pulling my finger out to get my shit done in time. And I really really want to see this thing run.

Yeah jack. THOR's hammer is spot on. That's the name cam gave to it.

Lots of good parts that get hidden away, but I know they are in there and they have been selected to do a job. Piston speed is going to be high so the forged items are for extra insurance. I really would have liked the motorbike Pistons in there - for the bore sizing more than anything, but I had the Ross units so I'm using them.

Crank went in yesterday bud and I slept soundly last night. I must admit to some nerves in finally building this thing. As you know there has been a stupid amount of time spent on the head and all the other components, none of which are cheap. But I shut the nerves out and just went into the methodical (yes sly - slightly anal) way I build them and that sorted the nerves.

Yes the crank does look awesome in person. Your progress is pushing me along. Cam is taking the day off when it finally hits the engine dyno. Oh I'm getting goose bumps again.

I should have all the slugs in by the end of the day and maybe the cam dialled in. More photos tonight

Moving along quick bro.Love building em and I can agree I did just shut the world out and got in mode when doing mine.No ph just selected music in the background and a clear mind. Oh and Jimmy cans in the fridge to celebrate afterwards :) 

went into the methodical (yes sly - very anal) way I build them and that sorted the nerves.

Fixed. Sorry but it's not slightly anal, but I don't see it as a bad thing. You know everything has been done the same way every time and it has been done right every time. Yes I do know how much time has gone into this engine, but the results will show.

My cylinder head had about 2 grands worth of work in it(thank christ I was very lucky not to have to pay for all of it as it was already worked) I would hate to see the bill for one like yours.

I may actually be ready by Feb as I'm getting a bit done, all the wiring will be done by the end of the week along with front suspension and hopefully the thermos mounted to the rad. Fuel system is done, throttle cable arrived and I just need to make up a plate and the coilover mounts will be done. Getting through that list pretty quick now.

Hmmmmmmmm

Where do I get me one of these THOR engins from ?

Tonys metal and Speed, Cairns. Bring lots of $$$$. Seriously you have to love these engines to spend the amount of coin I have on this engine. I mean the vac pump alone is $890 US. Rods $695, Camshaft $700, lifters $890US, Pistons $1100'. It just goes on and on. I could build an LS with 465@ the wheels for way less than this engine. But that's not my thing.

When it comes down to it - I love these engines and I really wanted to build the best one I could, so I did.

Todays progress on THOR. 6 pistons in bed with the crank and the camshaft fitted with spacer and dowl and installed. All clearances checked, of course and very happy with how it is all going. Quality machining makes assembly a real pleasure.

291215_001.jpg

291215_003.jpg

Apologies for the sepia look of the photos. It is seriously raining up here at the moment and there is very little natural light coming into the shed and the old mercury vapour light tends to be a bit yellowy. Oh and the thongs belong to Ross who came down for a look today. Typical FNQ wet season safety footwear.

When it comes down to it - I love these engines and  I am addicted. But it doesn't matter it's a crossflow so the universe forgives me and you if you love them too

fixed

Hey dude what happened to the quench area in the piston? Or is this one of those go against the general thinking things like most of the setup?