XMbrissytom

Unleaded conversion for a pre-cross flow motor

I'm restoring an old '64 falcon that has the original 170 cci motor in it and was wanting to know how to go about converting the old motor to unleaded fuel.

I'm pretty sure I need a new alloy head for unleaded fuel. Is this correct? If this is the case are there pre-cross flow heads available or would I have to change it to a cross flow head?

Do I have any other options then replacing the head if I can't keep the motor pre-cross flow?

Any advice is welcome

Cheers

Tom.

Just pour unleaded in the tank. It would of already been run on unleaded I'm sure unless the engine hasn't been used since 1990 something. The only difference on a unleaded and leaded head engine is the valve seats.On a unleaded engine there made from hardened steel inserts.

Thats it...  

Cool well I will talk to a engine reconditioner about hardened valve seats when I get the cyclinders bored larger as well.

Thanks fellas.

By the way does anyone know a good engine reconditioner in brisbane? Was just going to jump on yellow pages but had a thought that some might be better then others.

+1 on Engine Engineering. Tell Deb in the office or Cam in the workshop that Tony and Rob sent you in and they will sort you. Set of hardened seats and your good to go. I converted Penny!s Coupe (170) & the woody over many years ago. Both see doing fine on unleaded.

Good chance your head will need attention in the seats anyway so up may as well do it properly, especially if the engine is apart. I do recommend crack testing those early heads as they are prone to cracking.

Why cant Flash lube just be added to the tank?

Its a product made specially for applications like this.

Thus making it a fuel that is compatible with early engines not suitable for unleaded.

In this guys instance it wont matter as it sounds like he is getting his engine re built anyway

so the machine shop would recommend hardened valve seats and new valves,,,,

But....

For people who have an old classic,  weather that be an early Falcon or a Morris or a side valve V8

cant they just put this valve saver fluid into their tanks and carry on per normal? 

One good thing about the old X-Flows is they were already fitted with pretty good combo thanks to the Taxi industry.

Ford put hardened seats in from XC I think due to number of cars converting to LPG at the time......

I have been told (unsure on truth) that valve saver/flash lube only limits the damage, not prevents it.

so does driving normally though,

people told Me running alloy heads on LPG would wear them out etc.. probably does, but if its not driven much and runs fine, a flashlube kit even would suffice, saves adding it to the tank on every fill if you cant be bothered..

http://www.flashlube.com/en/products/valve-saver-kit.html

Depends on if it's going to be a daily driver or a Sunday car. If it's a daily, it may only take a year or two to pay off the cost of conversion vs using valve saver in every tank. If it's just a cruise car, the cost of conversion may never pay itself off.

Valve saver is only used in small amounts (I think you get 10 treatments out of a bottle) so works out a few dollars per tank.