wagoon

Advanti racing wheels any good?

Anyone know if either of these 2 Advanti racing rims are any good? Are they prone to cracking like the CSA prowlers? Both are same price but bottom set is in much better condition and has more tread on tyres. The top set has a fair bit of gutter rash on the other rims.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Dont care about looks as they are going to be used for only for racing, the only thing I care about is if the rim is prone to failures. I do agree with you on the looks pity the top set have so much gutter rash on the other rims otherwise I would just be looking at them

Both are +6 offset in a 17x8 rim size sold as suit pre au. For $300 you cant really go wrong unless they are going to break and cause more damage than the are worth/cost

I would certainly not use either of them for racing.

If you're serious about safety and performance, get some real racing wheels from OZ, BBS, Simmons, Enkei or similar.

These wheels are strictly for show/road use and won't stand up to the rigors of racing and the countless tyre changes that come with serious racing.

If you can't afford proper racing wheels, stick with steel rims until you can.  The weight advantage isn't that much, and heat transfer won't really be needed unless you're doing 50 laps or more in a single race.

Not doing serious racing just hill climb, street sprints and time trial type events ie one car on the track at one time.

I know all about proper racing wheels but cant afford 3 grand for proper ones. And as far as I know there arent any 17 inch steel wheels that fit an x series without mods. And yes it has to be 17 inch as R spec tyres are very expensive if available at all in decent widths under 17 inch. And as far as tyres go I can see 3-4 tyre changes in the next 18 months, again not flushed with cash and racing is just for fun not championships.

Not doing serious racing just hill climb, street sprints and time trial type events ie one car on the track at one time.

I know all about proper racing wheels but cant afford 3 grand for proper ones. And as far as I know there arent any 17 inch steel wheels that fit an x series without mods. And yes it has to be 17 inch as R spec tyres are very expensive if available at all in decent widths under 17 inch. And as far as tyres go I can see 3-4 tyre changes in the next 18 months, again not flushed with cash and racing is just for fun not championships.

What about eb or el gt wheels? At least you will know they are decent quality. What sort of tyres are you running Falken Azenis, Hankook Ventus etc?

What about eb or el gt wheels? At least you will know they are decent quality. What sort of tyres are you running Falken Azenis, Hankook Ventus etc?

People usually asking stupid money for them

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Those wheels require spacers which I don't think are allowed in racing and I would never run spacers anyway.

I have found some that would fit the bill but still can't afford then for a while

This set is 17x7 in +6 offset and are $880 for a set. Not my most favorite of designs but I do love true minilites and these are close enough. These rims are advertised as having a load rating of 890kg which is really good, but I really do need an 8 inch rim for the rear though so that is a pretty big negative.

$_57.JPG

Again these aren't my most favourite design but a huge plus is I can get 0 offset in 17x8 and a -15 in a 17x9 so it would give a really tough stance and deep dish. Only problem is a set of 17x8 and 17x9 are $1450 but at least I can drive and pick these up. A set of 17x7 +10 and 17x8+0 are only $1350. The centres come in gold, charcoal and black colours

$_57.JPG

Yeah those rims are quite expensive and can be hard to find a decent set.

As for the tyres I was going to try Federal RS-RR semi slicks first, by no means the best tyre I know but at $165 for a 255 40 17 tyre(smaller sizes are cheaper) I can put up with their short comings. Semi slicks seem to be in 2 groups, the expense $400/tyre group that are really good and grip like shit but wear out really fast great for people into serious motorsport trying to win championships. The second group is up to around $250 a tyre, these last longer than the first group but also don't grip as much great for people like me out to have a bit of fun. I will probably end up with a decent set on the front and some thing like the federals on the rear.

This is a pic of the federal RS-RR

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALCON-TERRITORY-MUSTANG-TOYOTA-BULLITT-MAG-WHEELS-AND-GT-RADIAL-TYRES-/281891463402?hash=item41a20a60ea:g:7mgAAOSw9N1Vyqta

Those wheels require spacers which I don't think are allowed in racing and I would never run spacers anyway.

I have found some that would fit the bill but still can't afford then for a while

This set is 17x7 in +6 offset and are $880 for a set. Not my most favorite of designs but I do love true minilites and these are close enough. These rims are advertised as having a load rating of 890kg which is really good, but I really do need an 8 inch rim for the rear though so that is a pretty big negative.

Again these aren't my most favourite design but a huge plus is I can get 0 offset in 17x8 and a -15 in a 17x9 so it would give a really tough stance and deep dish. Only problem is a set of 17x8 and 17x9 are $1450 but at least I can drive and pick these up. A set of 17x7 +10 and 17x8+0 are only $1350. The centres come in gold, charcoal and black colours

Those are a great looking wheel, must be a few companies making them again. They come in 17x10 as well in a 0 offset.

2e88822155543347d5395dcfc4002622.jpg

You can actually get them in 17x10 in -27 to +3 offset, they machine them to suit the offset required. Here is the Ebay add from one seller, I have seen other seller off ebay selling the same as most are the OS Formula brand.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17-BLANK-OS-FORMULA-MESH-ALLOY-WHEELS-suit-MOST-OLD-SCHOOL-CARS-FORD-HOLDEN-/221827184399?hash=item33a5ee370f:g:s6sAAOSw9r1V8meN

Going to have to say it in public but I am really not a fan of that design of wheel. Just something about them that doesn't float my boat. Reminds me of the old dragway 4 and 5 spoke wheels that were all round in the spoke, never liked them either.

Found a pic of the 5 spoke dragway mags. I know it's not exactly the same as the link above but it just doesn't do anything for me

14x7_Inch_Dragway_5_Spoke_Wheels_9069629

Please, please, please save up and buy the gold centred wheels in the picture.  They are just so horn.  The minilites actually look tough on xy thru to XC I reckon - after that - yeah not so. 

Greens tuff had a similar wheel to those Gold centred ones.  Oh they would look so so good.  Wait and save for them bud.  You wont regret it. 

Remember - Wheels and stance make the car.....

i used to live next door to Dragway when i was growing up, well across the park and even thou the Weld's looked better the quality of the Dragway wheels were outstanding

i like the MB wheels, they are in between the mustang and drag way look :) 

You will have a very hard time finding wheels in 8.5 or greater to suit the X series without spacers, specially in 17" or 18" where all the good rubber lives, had to find decent size rubber in 15" now even in semi slicks, best range you'll find is in 18" with 17" coming in second but a little cheaper. I used 888's and NT01 and both sucked ass. I think for your type of events you want 245 front and 275 rears in something sticky like the Advan rubber, don't bother with Nitto or R888's you'll never get them hot

if you're going to eventually get the 330mm front disks then 50% of the 17" wheels won't fit them

how can you not like the drag ways :)http://www.canberratoranaclub.com/images/golf/feature/IM000288.JPG

(yeah wrong car but nice)

i used to live next door to Dragway when i was growing up, well across the park and even thou the Weld's looked better the quality of the Dragway wheels were outstanding

i like the MB wheels, they are in between the mustang and drag way look :)

You will have a very hard time finding wheels in 8.5 or greater to suit the X series without spacers, specially in 17" or 18" where all the good rubber lives, had to find decent size rubber in 15" now even in semi slicks, best range you'll find is in 18" with 17" coming in second but a little cheaper. I used 888's and NT01 and both sucked ass. I think for your type of events you want 245 front and 275 rears in something sticky like the Advan rubber, don't bother with Nitto or R888's you'll never get them hot

if you're going to eventually get the 330mm front disks then 50% of the 17" wheels won't fit them

how can you not like the drag ways :)http://www.canberratoranaclub.com/images/golf/feature/IM000288.JPG

(yeah wrong car but nice)

Just not my sort of wheel dude. I am quite strange and like not normal things so it fits with me. There are a lot of things normal people like that I just don't get and really don't like.

As for finding wheels, you are right. There are a limited number of wheels but mainly in my price range of fuck all, if you have some coin to spend there are plenty of wheel to choose from. The gold wheels that Ando is speaking of come in perfect offset for an x series in 17x7 17x8 17x9 and 17x10, but again there are only a few wheels like that under $2500 a set. if your willing to spend $3000+ on a set of wheels there are more than a dozen proper lightweight wheel in perfect offset to suit the x series.

As for a big brake kit I will not be doing it as I will be running 14 inch wheels on the road and this will not change (bigger sidewall makes for a softer ride on the road). When I move to a track car then I may look at bigger brakes but until then it will not happen.

if you're going to move from 14" to 17" then you will have huge issues with the alignment, i used 15" to get around and bolted the 17" semi's for the track and the difference is huge in terms of alignment, like 2.5 degree camber and 1degree of toe in on the 15" (225/65/15 Michelin Pilots) would be understeering heaven on the track where i run 1.5 of toe out (QR) and zero at Lake Side both on 2.5 degree camber

with no toe in on the 15" and 2.5 degrees it chewed the fronts quick smart, what I ended up doing is getting the tie rod sleeves that are adjustable and count the turns and do the toe in/out myself (http://www.globalwest.net/adj-3.html)

didn't have time to do it once as a friend was busting my chops to take him for a few laps at QR and with the toe in on the 2nd lap it put it in the gravel at turn 1, just understeered straight through, learned my lesson! 6 months later i flipped it in turn1

oh and the gold wheels look fucking awesome but for 8" fronts and 10" rears in 17" it would be way out of my budget, would rather spend that extra 2k on glass bonnet and guards

Going to do home wheel alignment when I get around to making something that suits. Don't need to worry about it now as I won't be racing for a while, but will have a setup for street and setup for track. Less than ideal but it is what it is to get the most out of the car use wise.