Server maintenance Read more... ×
xwroo

302w cam

hey guys,

When it comes to cams I know nothing!!! Just wanting to know what would be the biggest cam I could put into my 302w without running a stall converter or having any vacuum/ braking problems. Keep in mind my car is a very mild cruiser.

Cheers for any help...

hey guys,

When it comes to cams I know nothing!!! Just wanting to know what would be the biggest cam I could put into my 302w without running a stall converter or having any vacuum/ braking problems. Keep in mind my car is a very mild cruiser.

Cheers for any help...

Is that a hydraulic roller or flat tappet?

Most cam manufacturers have a range that has most scenarios covered.

Sounds like you need something like mine, a Crow 204/214 @ 0.050", but has less lift at the valve on a Windsor than a clevo due to rocker ratio.

Mine idles sweet at 700, pulls easily from idle and has a midrange that for a little 302, punches above its weight in that regard. It has a pretty wide LSA and little overlap. It's about as far as you can go for lift without roller rockers ( for long term durability).

If you want a bit of a lopey idle, there is one at 219/224 @ 0.050" that has less lift at 0.478, same LSA but overlap is more due to longer duration.

http://www.crowcams.com.au/Catalogue.aspx

I'm not saying go with crow but just as a guide as to what's out there. The description next to the cam pretty much is what it is.

upgrading the valve springs is a no brainer? Would getting a intake manifold to match the power range of the cam be a good investment as well?

Any of the big name brands good to use? I was on the edelbrock site and they seem to have intakes to match their cams. Any brand to stay away from?

+ 1 on the 600, I had one on mine till I went spread bore (standard manifold) and it went well, even though it was clapped out and an emissions model.

The modern version is actually a 570 but same thing really. If you want low-mid torque get the truck avenger. It has annular boosters for better atomisation.

Personally I'd go a comp 260h or 268h paired up with a dual plane air gap (the 268h would benefit from a set of extractors more so than the 260h but both would see an improvement) and valve springs to suit both are very good low to mid range cams, although the 268h would be right on the limit of a standard converter

Also keep in mind that on an early Windsor they run press in rocker studs. Once you start increasing lift & spring pressures, it won't take much to punch the press in studs out. I would invest in getting screw in studs. You will need to get the heads drilled & tapped for this.

Sounds extremes, but better than a horrible valve train failure.

A 600 vacuum secondary with a duel plain manifold will be nice on a Windsor. Keep in mind that there is no need to go too big, due to being heavily restricted by Windsor small port heads.

224/234 @0.050'' be to big? I've been looking at edelbrock manifolds and seen they make their manifolds to suit their cams. They call the cam 'Performer RMP camshaft ' and they say run a 'Performer RPM' or ' RPM Air-Gap' manifold. Any thoughts?

I reckon you'll be disappointed with that cam. One or two sizes smaller is what you want (going by your original description of what you're after).

However if you're starting to get the performance bug and finding yourself saying "yeah why not", that's fine, just be prepared to get your wallet out...

Just remember, after a certain point, cost is exponential to horsepower.

All depends on your plan. Think long and hard and stick to it once you decide on one. No point in chopping and changing along the way.

Many of us have been down that road and would advise otherwise.

Windsors suffer in the head/port department so the best gains will be in valve size and porting. The best approach is to get the most power (efficiency) with the least amount of cam.