Server maintenance Read more... ×
xwroo

xw seatbelts

Hi, I've got a XW which im sure its factory. Its got bench seats front and rear, on the compliance plate its complained for a 6 seater but it only as two seatbelts. I got a few questions to ask.

- Since its only got two seatbelts, should there be holes from factory to fit more?

- If I want to fit more seatbelts does it have to get engineer (I'm in QLD)?

Thanks for any help..

Did XWs come with seatbelts fitted from factory or were they retrofitted when the law came in (not even sure what year that was)?

Seatbelts are for bitches anyway. Real men go through the windscreen in an accident. :D

If it's complianced as a 6 seater on the rego and 4 more seatbelts suddenly appeared who would know anyway?

The two seatbelts look to be from factory but I couldn't tell you. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal if 4 more seatbelts got added if it was done though the right channels.

Honestly if QLD is anything like NSW I'd save my time and money and just put them in, if it's already complianced as a 6 seater no muppet would ever know and you'd be a thousand bucks (or whatever an engineering cert costs) better off. Technically if it's already listed as a 6 seater and you fit more seatbelts you're not breaking any rules I don't think.

The old man's XW was factory front bench, with the compliance plate saying it was a 6 seater. All he had to do to get the front centre seat belt in was to double up the bolt tags on the existing bolts that already affixed the other belts to the floor. If you look at how the rear belts are done, that's how he did the fronts. I think he may have gotten a pair of centre bolts from the rear of another car to get the should length right.

If I remember correctly, seatbelts became law in Victoria in 1971, and in the rest of Australia in 1972. That puts it squarely in the roll-out of the XY. So I suspect the two seat-belts might have been factory-fitted, but as the XW was released before seat-belts officially became legal in Australia, there was no legal requirement to fit any more at the time it was released.

Agree with above.

I had a 69 dodge ambulance. No belts.

Nothing like having an accident and clinging to the steering wheel like a spider monkey to stop yaself getting splatted on the stupidly thick windscreen.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Agree with above.

I had a 69 dodge ambulance. No belts.

Nothing like having an accident and clinging to the steering wheel like a spider monkey to stop yaself getting splatted on the stupidly thick windscreen.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Do we even want to know why you had an ambulance Jack? :D

Hahaha spider monkey.

Yeah, being a passenger in dads '62 fairlane was fun before it had seatbelts.

Steel dashboard, windscreen probably not laminated & feet pushed into the floor fan to hold yourself steady. Driving was ok, because you have a steering wheel to hang onto.

Done some work on the xw this morning and found threaded holes, one in the parcel shelf which has a thick plate underneath and one in the floor and the same on the other side would this be the seat belt holes?