judgetread

Yet another project ( Wife's gem )

74 posts in this topic

Thanks to deankdx For selling and super fast postage of the torque tube rubber the gem's back on the road running sweet, just picked the kids up maybe from 8km away and didnt miss a beat, drove really nice. Maybe a little wheel bearing noise but hard to tell with all the road noise lol

my one is Mint compared to your old one,(i may still have to change it at some point) whats the process, just bash it off with a cold chisel etc or cut it?  tap on a new one?

is it unbolt at the body, unbolt torque tube off diff and it just slides out? or more involved.

glad it got there fast, thought you'd be wanting it for the weekend, express satchel delivery was money well spent

ill do a quick write up for ya now man, couldn't get good pics under the car.

• Undo the four tailshaft bolts (12mm nut & bolts)
  • Remove the tailshaft
  • put a jack under the front of the diff and jack it up a little bit. learnt this the hard way, you need to hold it up or later the diff will twist down and piss oil everywhere...
  • Undo the two 14mm bolts that hold the centre bearing carrier in place.
  • Then undo the four allen key bolts that hold the torque tube to the diff.
  • then let down jack a little or as much as you need and pull the whole torque tube and carrier away from the diff in one peice

And thats it really.. very simple to do and to put it back is is as easy

You can see the splinned inner shaft that goes through the torque tube in one of the pics next to it. Just undo the two 12mm bolts that bold that rubber in that we just replaced and the whole tube come out of the carrier

to get the rubber off/on I did:

• mark the position of the rubber so new one went on in the right position, using a thin cutoff wheel i cut a slit into the rubber and through the inner steel, then it came off easy with a hammer.
  • cleaned the tube, added some lube to the tube and inside the rubber steel ring
  • lined it up to the same position as the original, and place a big peice of 8mm steel plate over the top and smacked the crap out of it to put it back on. Using a wooden block under the tube so it didnt get damaged
deankdx likes this

winning, i hardly see geminis driving around anymore.. even mine has probably done 50days last year at best.
sounds simple. when i was under mine last, i decided the center bearing needs doing.. the diff mount isnt rooted enough yet.
do you know if the torque tube needs to come off to replace the center bearing?

Well, Wife is now registered in the women's street series events at willow-bank. So last night wife took the Gemini out to willow-bank for her first ever run down the strip.

Car ran pretty good, no problems running or overheating or such. Had 3 runs, car ran 21.0, then 20.4 then 20.3 :D Its no weapon...

Here is some pic of the car. @deankdx

CbF3Vx3.jpg

M61IvfN.jpg

reactions were .40 .42. then .32, and yeh dropping .7 over 3 runs is a good effort imo

Wife had hell fun, only been down the track once before and that was passenger in the xf, so good effort i think.

Already discussing new powerplant options :D

Slow250XC and deankdx like this

Always wanted to drop an sr20det and 5speed into a smaller classic for a fun car. Or same engine but with auto into a morris minor van. One day lol

Good to hear she is keen as!!! Easier to spend money when its 'her idea' haha

Chuck a 3.8 Buick in there. Cheap as chips and still everywhere. And they love taking a beating. Mate had one in a s4 rx7 and it went surprisingly hard. Gemini would weigh a few hundred kilos less than a seven.

be 11ty times easier conversion than a Sr. Turbo too.

AWESOME!  can't wait to get mine to a track,  i will be hoping for 16s because it feels like it chops a lot of things once it stops wheel spinning(i have semi slicks to fit soon)

did the 1600 wheel spin? mine seemed to if i wanted it to.

the 2 litre (G200Z) is a direct fit, mine has a cam, 32/36 weber and extractors and is light and day over the gutless 1600. 
if going turbo, the G180Z is best(handles boost without splitting blocks) 

if it wasn't stinking hot last Friday i would have run mine at Calder, just as well i didn't because it played up after i thrashed it with the Gtech Pro testing (17.2 @ 80mph with lots of wheel spin) 

if it's fun with the 1600, it won't break anything.. (aka leave it in and enjoy....) 

the V6 stock in gemini is supposed to be good for 14s easy ..  a turbo fitted to the 1600 is supposed to be pretty good also..  

i would be looking at the 2.6(4ZE-1) for NA, reasonably easy but still needing lots of mods.. i am even considering using the 4 speed auto if so..

haa no wheel spin from this 1.6ltr :D  Even with driving through the water traps once. Then again, willowbank track will steal your shoes if u walk on it ... so I doubt a 75-85hp engine going to spin anything ... Actual im suprise it even left the line, through maybe not enough power to get past the traction lol.

Yeh if I can find a cheap direct replacement 180z or 200x ill chuck that in 4sure.

PowerPuff / womens street series is DYI so speed/ets mean nothing.

deankdx likes this

the 200z has eleventy million more torques than a 1600 from idle to whatever they rev to.. i took a video of mine the other day in 4th ... don't bother trying this with a 1600..

no idea what revs it was doing, no tacho fitted, but if you have one, do 40 in 4th and let me know.. 

judgetread likes this

3 hours ago, judgetread said:

No tacho, stick it in D and go :D

I think the diff was 3.5 from the tag if I remember correctly

i think the petrol diffs are all 3.9(or 3.89) 2 types of diff one takes a similar center to a banjo diff(still loads from the back) other is a small salisbury 23 spline axels(apparently 6cyl SLE VH commo lsd center can be fitted to them?) 

the diesel is 3.58 with 24 spline axels(i read somewhere the japanese cars were all 3.58, even petrol. haven't confirmed it yet)

2 minutes ago, Defective said:

I've always wanted a zz/z Gemini, used to drool over them in the old hot 4s mags. I wonder what ever happened to all those done up gems?

Probably all in the Gemini wrecking yard up the sunshine coast :D