judgetread

Yet another project ( Wife's gem )

74 posts in this topic

Well We're at it again.. Wife decided Ive done too much for everyone else so we went and bought this little gem...

gem1_zpsyx9ejunp.jpg

gem2_zpsdi2lkp5s.jpg

Things in pretty decent shape body wise. Three small bits of rust no bigger the 20 cents pieces.

Typical Gemini electric fuel punmp wasn't work so wired in a new rely and the pumps running good now. Still has a few mechanical issues, wont run very well when up to running temp and a leaking master cylinder so no brakes :D

Plan is to rebuild it to stock, first to get it running well then Ill throw a coat of paint at it and redo carpets and a fine little interior peices..

wagoon and deankdx like this

Jeez, what happened to all the cool old geminis? I remember reading fast 4s and hot 4s back in the day and there was bloody cool ones done up.

You just never see them anymore.

Rare as hens teeth in nz.

judgetread likes this

got a bit done on this thing, and well broke something as well :(

Did a good old oil change, filter changes etc, then decided to do a big 2nd gear burn out. Unfortunately something when crack & pop in the rear end :D hopefully its just a uni or something but the old thing let loose lol ...

Ordered a bunch of stuff for it, new carpets & underlay/ engine parts/ carby rebuild kit and sent the mast cylinder off for a rebuild as the brakes were pretty dodgy  and it was leaking.

Plan is to get the thing running 100% and drive it to work and back for a few days before commiting to the panel work

bear351c likes this

i like the paint.. well, bonnet looks a bit sunburned but the sides look original paint.

be interesting to see what broke, they seem to handle a reasonable thrashing from what i've heard(My diesel one doesn't thrash)

If you're gunna flog it, better stock up on Head gaskets, too. :D

...might be enough room for a 289 Windsor. :blink:

308s fit.. so do LS1s.. (might need to cut a bit here and there)

judgetread likes this

Jeez, what happened to all the cool old geminis? I remember reading fast 4s and hot 4s back in the day and there was bloody cool ones done up.

You just never see them anymore.

Rare as hens teeth in nz.

They all had their springs gas axed down to the bump stops & the seats put perminatly in the recline position.

judgetread and Nath-25 like this

a little, judgetread is taking main focus :D

Rebuild the carb, new brake master, rear wheel cylinders. Seems to be losing fuel so need to find out where thats leaking before doing anything else

deankdx likes this

Had a look at the noise, seems the centre bearing can move 2 inches up and down, im guessing this is where the crack'n noise is coming from :D

mine moves a heap too.i'm not rough enough to get it to clunk.. let me know if you buy one if you dont mind i haven't looked into whether the diesel one is different on mine,,

Seems to be losing fuel so need to find out where thats leaking before doing anything else

Was able to finally track down the fuel leak on this thing. It was where the 3 fuel steel pipes and the rear brake line runs together the main feed line was rusted through.

Was able to cut the pipe and flare the end and run a short rubber hose. The thing is still running rough as when warm, its fine when cold or if you close off the choke so ripped the intake manifold off and replacing the gaskets as it must be a big air leak.

I am trying to get the poor old thing mechanically decent, as my wife is going overseas for  2 weeks and want to try to get the body done while she is gone as a little surprise when she comes back  (IF she comes back !!! )

Finally found and bodged fixed the running issue. Turns out the fuel cut off solenoid was rooted so pulled it out, cut the end off and put it back in... Cars now runs good! next is the clunking when put into gear to fix.

deankdx likes this

yeh its a little one :D good thing is not a single patch of body filler found so far in the car, so at least its a honest car so far

Its pretty weird actually, its the only real rust in the car. It has 3 other spots that are just pinholes in two doors barely worth patching up. That one was as you can see through the outer and then the outer inner sill as well. Other side is perfect :S

Outback Jack and bear351c like this

you can see the other spot on the door in one of those pics, thats whats its like in 3 spots.

i can see why they rust bad in the guard like that but, nothing on the inside to stop it filling up with dirt and crap.