CHESTNUTXE

BORGWARNER T BAR AUTO BW35/40

ok i just was talkin to some trans shops in the u.s. and they said all c4 and c5 bellhousings were alloy for the inline 6,s,so i wonder why ours are iron.

The us in line 6 they would be referring to will be the f100 6 cylinder that uses the same bellhousing as a v8

I did a bit more research on the alloy c4 inline 6 bellhousings and found the starter is further down see picture,not a big one if your getting custom exhaust made._57_zps8poijzkv.jpg

the older cast iron ones had a 3 bolt starter eg'' 1966 mustang,the one in this picture is out of a 1982 usa fairmont with a c5 trans,as this should fit a later c4-c10 trans,i want to buy this one to save weight and also fits the later c4 26 spline.

51 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

what about this bw51 in my 92 xf ute could it be rebuilt and run a cooler to handle mild power as a alternative to the c4 

the C4 has better gear ratios and zapps less power from My experience.  that's with 2.92 diff ratio at least.

i would say they are fairly strong with a good cooler though.. if in good condition. can get a shift kit feel by removing a ball bearing somewhere inside them apparently?

i was reading some other websites about them and the experts reckon thats all crap about a shift kit for the 51 ,i asked cris at the tranny shop about them and he said they are very similar to the 40 but have a larger planetary ,mine also already has a cooler on the ute,i will keep it all together when taking it out.

Not sure if I'd risk dumping money into the borgwarner to be honnest.
I didn't have a very good run with my bw35 behind a stock crossflow after a rebuild. Ended up needing a new band put in it after 6000ks.
.......Although it's been driven a lot harder since then and has held up so far for another 20,000ks

Do the bw51 use the same bands and clutch pack setup as the bw35?

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

i dont no i will ask cris at the tranny shop he worked at geelong ford plant for 20 years and we have massive arguments over ford stuff like the later pillow block clevelands he said they are not a cleveland they are a called a geelong ,poured and made in australia,yes cris but they are of cleveland design,no they are a geelong:o

They're a GF Cleveland, as opposed to a CF Cleveland. (and are marked as such)

GF = Geelong Foundry
CF = Cleveland Foundry

Everyone said that 4 speed BTR's were no good, and look at the power people are putting through them!
I'd be keen to see what a BW40/51 is capable of!
They are a common box the world over, used in several makes of vehicle - so maybe look to other countries, and see what people have done?

A guy from Toowoomba, user name "wagon" on FORDSIX PERFORMANCE site did it back in 2010... cut and shut 2 bellhousings.. used an ea controller with megasquirt box... modified chassis mount for 120mm rearward position gearbox mounts.. said he improved his economy by 50 liters a tank...  I called him some time back to hook up but didn't happen..  get on the site .. its there somewhere.

A guy from Toowoomba, user name "wagon" on FORDSIX PERFORMANCE site did it back in 2010... cut and shut 2 bellhousings.. used an ea controller with megasquirt box... modified chassis mount for 120mm rearward position gearbox mounts.. said he improved his economy by 50 liters a tank...  I called him some time back to hook up but didn't happen..  get on the site .. its there somewhere.

Read that a long while back. Pretty sure he was the same guy who jumped on xfalcon with the same details. Was going to put photos up and all on how it was done but it never materialised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need a picture of a bw35 linkage for t bar as there is 3 for sale on e Bay and all are different, I contacted the seller he says he don't no either wtf I need one for my conversion.

23 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

I need a picture of a bw35 linkage for t bar as there is 3 for sale on e Bay and all are different, I contacted the seller he says he don't no either wtf I need one for my conversion.

BW40 in XE and XF or does yours have a 35? i think they are same anyway,  i see you've got the early XE or XD handle type, (not the XF style)

try Scott at XDF wreck if you need to buy one, https://www.facebook.com/Xdfwreck likely be heaps cheaper if he has one 

it's going to look like this or similar, got a link to the ebay ones?

Screenshot_20230524_083012_Facebook.jpg

If you go on e Bay and type bw35 linkage all of them are there reco $99 ea but which one ? I called him and he don't know either he said refer to factory manual so I look in my book and it don't have any pictures but I reckon it's the one with the big metal bit on the end

59 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

If you go on e Bay and type bw35 linkage all of them are there reco $99 ea but which one ? I called him and he don't know either he said refer to factory manual so I look in my book and it don't have any pictures but I reckon it's the one with the big metal bit on the end

i couldn't find them on ebay, 

you'll need the metal plate on the end because the column shift used a different doover onto the box that links to the chassis rail.

how much have you got on the T bar linkage you have? got the bolt/nut thing on it also?