CHESTNUTXE

BORGWARNER T BAR AUTO BW35/40

I am wondering why these gearboxes dont have good reputation ,i have never blown one up,and from what i have been told they can be beefed up a bit,there isnt a lot of 6cyl c4's around for sale,and wondering can the converter be tuned to have a higher stall ?

I would follow what Pro250 said and get a C4, most of the auto's are only for very mild applications. You would probably struggle to find enough aftermarket parts readily available to build the box up to hold decent power. If this box is for your serious horsepower crossflow I would seriously consider a turbo 350 gearbox as they have a lot of aftermarket parts and are a bit cheaper than a C4 to work. At the end of the day both the C4 and the Turbo 350 have around the same torque rating when built it's just the 350's are a bit cheap. Plus if you have to find an adapter for the C4 to crossflow then you will just have to find a 350 to crossflow adapter

I am wondering why these gearboxes dont have good reputation ,i have never blown one up

They can't handle being thrashed. You can have them behind a decent motor and will last if your gentle/medium on how you treat them.

My Dad has had a BW35 behind his worked 289 Windsor for years and has only ever broken one - due to a fluid leak not mistreatment.

ok what about the bw40 or ea 3 speed box are they any tougher ?

The BW40 and BW51 (late xf/ea) are slightly stronger but still basically the same box.

borgy 35 40s came behind v8s? ive never ever seen one

borgy 40 and 51 is basicley the same box just the selector shaft is on the other side and still rubbish good for a a nice drive in a dead stock engine

Leyland P76 V8 also used them. I've had a heap of them die or dead on purchase of the car but never had a rebuilt one to actually see how well they last. ...

Fitting a good Trans cooler does help

1st gear is taller than the C4 auto so when you fit a C4 it seems to wake the car up a fair bit

When i take my car for a spin every afternoon i go thru the mountains and then wind it up on the straight,i cant fault it see's 4000rpm plus ,but holding it flat doing a big burnout i dont think it will last long,but for general mildly worked engine it's fine.

borgy 35 40s came behind v8s? ive never ever seen one

borgy 40 and 51 is basicley the same box just the selector shaft is on the other side and still rubbish good for a a nice drive in a dead stock engine

I once owned an early xr with a bw35 behind a 289.

Usually lose reverse gear.

That's just a $5.00 reverse servo o-ring.

If the low/reverse band isn't adjusted - as per normal service routine, or if the adjuster nut comes loose,

then the servo piston has to over extend to clamp the band, and rolls the o-ring out of it's groove eventually, pinching and tearing it.

Torn o-ring = no hydraulic pressure behind the piston = no band apply = no reverse gear.

The piston assembly comes out without even having to drop the valve body - it's wonderfully simple.

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

I'll just leave this here... :lol:

o6z8Xbg.png

But seriously - anything that's mild enough not to kill a BW35 is probably gonna be relatively low on power so you'd want to maximize the usage of what you do have right? Can't speak for a C4 but my XD was painfully slow with a BW35, best thing I ever did was get rid of it.

EFI Crossflows had BW40's behind them - wouldn't surprise me if it'd handle a stock 289 or 302 ok as long as you didn't flog the piss out of it.

For what it's worth (not much :lol:) if I was going to go auto again it'd be a C4. Not because I know if they're any better or not but I do know that BW35s are better suited as boat anchors.

I just went to the transmission shop,i can get a choice of many c4's for around $250 a core,but no bellhousing,the owner himself has a 6cyl mustang there himself so he say's the later c4 or c10 will need a custom bellhousing to fit,the early c4's have a different bellhousing for 200 c.i. i6's,but he said he can put later c10 guts into a early case and swap it all.just depends on what bellhousing you can get your hands on.

been down the parth have spent the coin to build them they don't last even with a 150hp they still blow up

spend your coin on a c4 my turbo ghia had a very helthy bw40 in it when I boosted it on 5psi you know how long it lasted? a week and it only lasted that long cause I did not boost it as soon as I got my C4 I tried to see what happends if you push it,,,,,,, It cant be it just blew up :D

the bw 35s are fitted to cortys and I don't have any cortys with them why? there shit how many have I poped with no real power, heaps am I getting the message across? im unsure but there shit

as for C4s you want a Windsor c4 not a clevo one if you want a decent c4 PM me I have a built 6cyl boxe in the shed I may be swayed to sell one for about the $1600 mark no stall convertor

To provide more confusion, the C4 and C10 are the same,(basically) the filler tube on the C10 goes into the pan, not the body.

I believe the earlier C4 had 26 spline input and later had 28, or something similar.  Trans bloke should know this.

The BW 35/40 were good for about 100bhp, thats it. Low speed, low torque stuff like Cortys and Esky's. Sure, if you look after them, service them, add a trans cooler and dont over rev them, they will last in a standard XD-XF.

how much difference is a BW51, the EA 3 speed auto,
i once bought one, needed to swap the bell housing, kickdown cable and extension housing.. didnt end up getting around to it. heard they were better.. if so, can the better parts of one be fitted to a BW35 or 40

yeah early c4's had 24-24 then 24-26 1970 model had its own blah blah ,i have the choice of many down at the shop so i might go for what ever box fits the bellhousing i am getting,even the 1966 67 68 69 box is better than the borgy im sure.

what is wrong with the early c4's pre 1970 ? everybody says get the later model,but what about just for a 6cyl surley they are better than the bw.[/quote

The pre 1970 C4 was a 24 spline input shaft & they also run a smaller converter.

I have run one behind a decent clevo & flogged the crap out of it & it held together.

In saying that, I was always waiting for the day it went bang. The day never came.

The later C4 had a 26 spline input & larger converter.

Finding an early C4 is hard enoug, yet alone the limitations of after market converter & internals choice compared to the later 26 spline version

how much difference is a BW51, the EA 3 speed auto,

i once bought one, needed to swap the bell housing, kickdown cable and extension housing.. didnt end up getting around to it. heard they were better.. if so, can the better parts of one be fitted to a BW35 or 40

Surprised the extension housing is different as the late (88 onwards) XF commercials got the BW51.

Surprised the extension housing is different as the late (88 onwards) XF commercials got the BW51.

something about it was different.. might have been the mounting location even

I run a 24/26 spline c4 in my grey v8 corty that thing lifts the front wheels off the deck and ive never hurt it in 500+ passes its a stock box with a hard input shaft (changed it when i went to a 4k convertor

to be a 24 26 spline box is just the input shaft if you run a 26 spline convertor you can just change it it just pulls out  

been down the parth have spent the coin to build them they don't last even with a 150hp they still blow up

spend your coin on a c4 my turbo ghia had a very helthy bw40 in it when I boosted it on 5psi you know how long it lasted? a week and it only lasted that long cause I did not boost it as soon as I got my C4 I tried to see what happends if you push it,,,,,,, It cant be it just blew up :D

the bw 35s are fitted to cortys and I don't have any cortys with them why? there shit how many have I poped with no real power, heaps am I getting the message across? im unsure but there shit

as for C4s you want a Windsor c4 not a clevo one if you want a decent c4 PM me I have a built 6cyl boxe in the shed I may be swayed to sell one for about the $1600 mark no stall convertor

Don't fucking sell mine