CHESTNUTXE

BORGWARNER T BAR AUTO BW35/40

eBay items;

275449231975 and

275449225242 looks the closest, but I'm not sure that it's bent correctly (I'll have a look at mine from above tomorrow to see what it looks like).  But it wouldn't take much to re-align it.

11 minutes ago, ZKFairlane said:

eBay items;

275449231975 and

275449225242 looks the closest, but I'm not sure that it's bent correctly (I'll have a look at mine from above tomorrow to see what it looks like).  But it wouldn't take much to re-align it.

yeah no idea why i couldn't find them, maybe marked as NEW  

I agree, this one looks correct where it bolts to the trans, but the rod being bent like that, not sure. i had to cut and weld one once because i mixed n matched rods with the older and or newer shifter and or different trans. 
maybe @SPArKy_Dave can recall any differences?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275449225242?hash=item40220da01a:g:vLYAAOSwPkljFwtM

s-l1600.jpg

yes thats the one i reckon it is,those other ones he has i reckon are for xb ect,never thought something as simple as this could cause so much confusion,i have taken heaps of these off b4 and always thought they are all the same but nope the bw35 still holds some mysteries of the deep.

3 hours ago, ZKFairlane said:

eBay items;

275449231975 and

zk is yours a 82 ? just remember the later shifters with the red button could be different ,c4 is easy there is only 1

1 hour ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

yes thats the one i reckon it is,those other ones he has i reckon are for xb ect,never thought something as simple as this could cause so much confusion,i have taken heaps of these off b4 and always thought they are all the same but nope the bw35 still holds some mysteries of the deep.

if you do get one and it's too long or short or the wrong shape and you decide to cut it (i have done) 
BEFORE YOU CUT it scribe or file or grind a line across the length so you don't end up with it welded on an angle or it will be no good in the bushes etc. (exhaust shop could weld it no issue or whoever does your roof welds

I'd just avoid all the expenditure, and stick with column auto.

Find a blank console - I see them occasionally.

(used for XD/XE column auto bucket seat vehicles - were usually Fairmonts)

Or even the short ones like this - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/620067103351800/

(does it have one of those already?)

12 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

Have a look at my post in "The Wreckers". I have a BW 35 gearbox complete with bell housing, converter, shifter, hump and cooling lines. Was regularly serviced and working perfectly when removed and replaced with a single rail.

The blue/gray console is available too.

Also I have a BW 40 which was reconditioned at some time too.

I am located in Bundaberg. You can pick them up or I can deliver to Gold Coast.

Private Message me with phone number and email address and I can send you photos and we can negotiate a price.

There is a steering column also which from memory came out of 4 speed manual XD.

Edited by cisco
Added Info

13 hours ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

zk is yours a 82 ?

Mine's an Aug 84 efi.  It's a BW40 with the later shifter mechanism (black plastic).

Here's as pic from above;

1196754639_TBarLinkages2.JPG.cf4834303fe0d5906f72f185b2a570f1.JPG

The workshop manual states that the 35 was replaced with the 40 concurrent with the introduction of EFI in 1983 (as you've stated earlier), but that "these transmissions are of the same basic design".  The listed differences are mainly internal except for a change tot he extension housing to suit the revised speedo drive location.

There's a diagram for each linkage setup in the manual;

748657993_WMLinkagesEarlyProduction.JPG.25d7aa226c3b647ee15cf99476110439.JPG

249213429_WMLinkagesLateProduction.JPG.c2f6c904fd7874efed56401cf6875c59.JPG

The drawing of the early version makes it a bit hard to workout what shape the long shaft is.

There does seem to be some differences to the linkages;

- The gearbox linkage on the early goes up and in where the later one goes up and out, and

- The tbar linkage going down on the early seems to be straight where the one on the later bends out.

yes thats right,thanks for that,i never knew the speedo was in a revised position,i think im gunna have to jack the car up and see,bit it wont be today as i start work soon,maybe saturday,looks like the xd and 82 xe have a stand alone linkage.

the one in the car atm is the 83 revised one ,it does work but ratio is a bit out,i knew this from the begining and just took a chance with it,i reckon the new one will solve all issues,and start in park like it used too,should take all of 10 mins to install it.